Search this Thread

Old 12-22-07, 03:38 AM
A.R.
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Head gasket?

OK, Problem #....I've lost count.
I'm beginning to think this GS is cursed

So, I'm going through entirely too much coolant and I've stopped driving it. Now, The leak is coming from around the passenger side of the engine, but I believe the root of the problem is in the valve cover. When it overheated, Steam was coming from the valve cover. I was beginning to think it was the head-gasket, but there is no coolant in my oil or white smoke of doom plummeting forth from my exhaust.
Could my valve cover be leaking coolant? A facilitator at UTi that is a Lexus tech told me to check the spark cover valley for coolant as that is a place it also pools to.
The plastic covers are still on, so it's a little harder for me to see exactly what is going on down there. I might take them and that darned intake off today to get a closer look.

Yes, there is a giant puddle of coolant under the car, the alt got a bit wet and the passenger side of the block is wet also. The waterpump wouldn't let loose all that coolant would it? I mean, it did on my 180SX, but...would it do the same on this application?

if it's either the headgasket or the valve cover gasket what would be the most cost effective fix for a foreign student who cannot get a job? replace it myself, call a shadetree mechanic, take it to a shop, throw in a new engine....

I know the answer to what I should do but I want input as to what you guys think is leaking.

Last edited by A.R.; 12-22-07 at 03:42 AM.
Old 12-22-07, 07:41 AM
Kaiser
Racer

I know on a GTE waterpump there is a 'weep' hole on the bottom of the pump that drops coolant when it's going bad. Not sure about the GE.

If you have steam coming from the valve cover gasket then you really have a leaky seal. The BEST way to tell if you have a blown head gasket is to get either a leak down test or a compression test done on the cylinders.
Old 12-22-07, 10:42 AM
A.R.
Driver

I'm about to go check it out in depth. if it is the seal what would be the exact part name I'm looking for?
valve cover seal? or what...
Old 12-22-07, 11:38 AM
A.R.
Driver

it's the waterpump. unless it's the core plugs....which aren't leaking....it's the waterpump. I still cant find the bloody weephole though.

took off the intake, moved the plastic cover, got under the car to check what's dripping, it's definitely coming from the waterpump area. didn't know it could leak so fast....I'm going to call another mechanic over to double check it for me and I'll go from there. *sigh* this car...this car...
Old 12-24-07, 05:39 AM
sigers98
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by A.R.
it's the waterpump. unless it's the core plugs....which aren't leaking....it's the waterpump. I still cant find the bloody weephole though.

took off the intake, moved the plastic cover, got under the car to check what's dripping, it's definitely coming from the waterpump area. didn't know it could leak so fast....I'm going to call another mechanic over to double check it for me and I'll go from there. *sigh* this car...this car...
Check area of thermostat,i changed mine this weekend,the seal had broke,and was weeping,causing the car to overheat,i am sure you know that its located in the upper part of the lower hose,passenger side.
Old 12-24-07, 07:07 AM
A.R.
Driver

I was starting to think it was the thermostat, because it started to leak even when the car was off & cold and I filled the radiator.
No, it's not the thermostat. OK, lemme see if I can explain this properly. Under the waterpump there is a tube that looks like an accumulator under the waterpump attatched to the block. Facing the engine, it's to the right of the alternator. THAT is what's leaking. What the hell is that, and is there a gasket to seal it? Can I just use Black RTV silicone to seal it up? That is probably what I am going to do anyway if it isn't a part that needs to be replaced.

Last edited by A.R.; 12-24-07 at 07:32 AM.