JoeZ Full Exhaust and California Smog

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-17, 07:38 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by richard203
how much discount will he take off?
Dont know, didn't ask because I'm not waiting for more people to sign up. I'm ready to purchase now.
Old 06-09-17, 08:32 AM
TrevorTran
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Dont know, didn't ask because I'm not waiting for more people to sign up. I'm ready to purchase now.
Did you end up purchasing the Joe Z full exhaust after all?
Old 06-09-17, 08:44 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by TrevorTran
Did you end up purchasing the Joe Z full exhaust after all?
Yes I have the Full JoeZ Cat back. Love the sounds it makes at WOT but for most normal driving the drone is very noticeable and extremely annoying. Rattles my car like a cheap Civic too. Not sure if I will keep it.
Old 06-09-17, 09:20 AM
TrevorTran
Driver

Yes I have the Full JoeZ Cat back. Love the sounds it makes at WOT but for most normal driving the drone is very noticeable and extremely annoying. Rattles my car like a cheap Civic too. Not sure if I will keep it.
Wow, sorry to hear that. Not sure if others with the exhaust can chime in with the same conclusion, but doesn't sound like it's a good set up for commuters. Looks like you've had it for maybe 3 months? It's not something that grows on you the more you drive it?
I'd hate to purchase the exhaust and end up with the same conclusion as you, but definitely keep us updated with your future plans!
Old 06-09-17, 09:33 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Wow, sorry to hear that. Not sure if others with the exhaust can chime in with the same conclusion, but doesn't sound like it's a good set up for commuters. Looks like you've had it for maybe 3 months? It's not something that grows on you the more you drive it?
I'd hate to purchase the exhaust and end up with the same conclusion as you, but definitely keep us updated with your future plans!
I knew about the potential droning from another member mikec78 so I guess it's not a big surprise. Mike stated the same thing and he tried everything possible to get the droning down without any success. I think he eventually swap back the stock Muffler and said that helps a bit..

I don't drive my car daily just on weekend but it still bothers the heck out of me. It doesn't get any better with mileage..only gets louder.
If you daily commute with this setup and expect a quiet car, you'll be very disappointed. Again this is all my personal opinion. Some people may like this setup. Not for me, I want a quiet car. May end up selling my JoeZ and take a loss. Despite my disappointing experience, it is still an excellent Exhaust system. Craftsmanship in second to none.
The following users liked this post:
TrevorTran (06-19-17)
Old 06-09-17, 10:01 AM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I knew about the potential droning from another member mikec78 so I guess it's not a big surprise. Mike stated the same thing and he tried everything possible to get the droning down without any success. I think he eventually swap back the stock Muffler and said that helps a bit..

I don't drive my car daily just on weekend but it still bothers the heck out of me. It doesn't get any better with mileage..only gets louder.
If you daily commute with this setup and expect a quiet car, you'll be very disappointed. Again this is all my personal opinion. Some people may like this setup. Not for me, I want a quiet car. May end up selling my JoeZ and take a loss. Despite my disappointing experience, it is still an excellent Exhaust system. Craftsmanship in second to none.
I've stopped using full exhaust systems on cars with automatics due to droning sounds. I did have success with axle back systems. Have you tried any axle back only setups?
Old 06-09-17, 07:55 PM
2Squared
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

I have an Invidia catback exhaust and at normal cruising speeds where the engine is below 2,000 rpm it's no louder than stock. Thank goodness in Texas having in O2 sensors in the line and ready good is all that's required.
The following users liked this post:
TrevorTran (06-23-17)
Old 06-23-17, 09:26 AM
TrevorTran
Driver

Is the drone so loud that you can't have a normal conversation in the car?
Old 06-23-17, 12:05 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Is the drone so loud that you can't have a normal conversation in the car?
Yes I have trouble hearing my kids in back seat sometimes. When at WOT, it's very loud. Definitely can't hear rear passengers at WOT.
Old 06-23-17, 06:23 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

did you try just using the mid pipe? mybe the droning will be lower. or just use the axle back. just switch around to see which one fit you better.
Old 06-23-17, 06:28 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by richard203
did you try just using the mid pipe? mybe the droning will be lower. or just use the axle back. just switch around to see which one fit you better.
Yeah planning to do that. Just been so busy with work.
Old 02-07-19, 04:43 PM
todd4566
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently did my smog test here in CA... and the technician so so particular I had to remove my Joe Z intake tube.
Old 02-07-19, 04:59 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by todd4566
I recently did my smog test here in CA... and the technician so so particular I had to remove my Joe Z intake tube.
I'm using stock intake, I should be fine getting smog done.
Only thing I'm concern about is California Assembly Bill (A.B.) 1824.
My exhaust is pretty loud, but I haven't measured if it's more than 95db.
Old 02-07-19, 08:15 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm using stock intake, I should be fine getting smog done.
Only thing I'm concern about is California Assembly Bill (A.B.) 1824.
My exhaust is pretty loud, but I haven't measured if it's more than 95db.
Db meter should placed at height level and 19.5 inches away from the exhaust tip with the microphone set at a 45 degree angle. Decibels should be measured once the car has warmed up and then rev to 2500 rpms. If you exceed 95db at that point, then it will be illegal.
Old 02-08-19, 08:44 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by todd4566
the smog tech tell you to remove the intake because its illegal. ur joz intake is not carb legal, if it is he wont have ask you to remove it.