Car jolts forward on park

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-16, 06:13 AM
Lucyfer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car jolts forward on park

Hi guys-

Was pretty absented minded this morning. So I put my car on "Hold" AND on park (unnecessary) on a sloped driveway to run out and open the gate. As I got back in the car, I just deactivated the "Hold" and was unaware the car was still on park. The car moves forwards 2 feet and jolts to a stop when I gassed it. Proceeded to do this two more times until I realize I needed to put the car on drive.

The problem here is, the car is on PARK, why did my vehicle still proceed to move at all when I gassed it?! Anyone have this issue? Because this is pretty unsafe imo
Old 09-14-16, 07:21 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

that's odd..

but you usually put the car on HOLD & on D & run out to open the gate?! sounds dangerous man.. next time put on PARK and PARKING brake on..
Old 09-14-16, 07:24 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Are you sure it was 2 feet? An inch or so is normal, anything above sounds like your parking pawl may be damaged if you are able to move forwards while in P.

I think you did the right thing shifting to P though, I wouldn't trust the Hold/Parking brake by itself to hold the vehicle on a hill with the engine still putting power to the wheels in D. That's how you get yourself run over by your own car.
Old 09-14-16, 08:41 AM
Lucyfer
Rookie

I guess my main question is, when the car is in park for that matter (disregard the hold), should putting a little gas even supposed to move the car forward?

@joedaddy I put the car on hold first (habit) and then moved my shifter to park before I ran out. I then got back in the car thinking it was just on hold so I deactivated and proceeded to gas (while the car was on park). So the perplexing part is the car still responded to the gas when my shifter was in park.

@er sorry exaggerated a bit, it did move 6 inches ahead before it jolted to a stop

Last edited by Lucyfer; 09-14-16 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-14-16, 08:44 AM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucyfer
I guess my main question is, when the car is in park for that matter (disregard the hold), should putting a little gas even supposed to move the car forward?
Not at all! I'd take that in to the dealer to get that checked out. That can be a safety hazard.
Old 09-14-16, 08:50 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

no the car should not move..

if you car moves when you give it gas in PARK, something is up..
Old 09-14-16, 09:17 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucyfer

@joedaddy I put the car on hold first (habit) and then moved my shifter to park before I ran out. I then got back in the car thinking it was just on hold so I deactivated and proceeded to gas (while the car was on park). So the perplexing part is the car still responded to the gas when my shifter was in park.

@er sorry exaggerated a bit, it did move 6 inches ahead before it jolted to a stop
Just thinking out loud...

You put the car on hold first. So, isolated the transmission completely by freezing the wheels in place. Going into park is basically irrelevant. You've left the natural play in the drivetrain open to be felt when you released the hold and gravity moved the car to the park-stop. The fact that you hit the gas at the same time it stopped was coincidence (not realizing that when you released the hold, the car moved). I'm going to take a stab that you don't have the "automatic parking brake" lever set to auto?
Old 09-14-16, 11:27 AM
Lucyfer
Rookie

Originally Posted by MustangSal
Just thinking out loud...

You put the car on hold first. So, isolated the transmission completely by freezing the wheels in place. Going into park is basically irrelevant. You've left the natural play in the drivetrain open to be felt when you released the hold and gravity moved the car to the park-stop. The fact that you hit the gas at the same time it stopped was coincidence (not realizing that when you released the hold, the car moved). I'm going to take a stab that you don't have the "automatic parking brake" lever set to auto?
It's on auto by default. I will test it out some more later and confirm if this issue arises again.
Old 09-16-16, 05:08 AM
Lucyfer
Rookie

Update: Looks like a non-issue now. Could not replicate it at all
Old 09-16-16, 07:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Please, PLEASE do not leave your car with the transmission in hold mode and the car in drive. In fact, I don't believe the car will even let you do that...I think it puts the parking brake on when you open the door.