Stop that vibrating gas door!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-14, 06:35 PM
kevings03
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stop that vibrating gas door!

Guys,

This is my first thread on CL, so hopefully it helps out someone....

I just got my 2015 fsport last Wednesday. I was really liking the sound from the ML system but the bass left me wanting more ( all of my past vehicles have always had at least a 12 inch sub and amp, or bigger, so I guess that's what I'm pretty much use to)

Today I had Sam and a coworker of his from Sorena Car Audio install a 12 inch Alpine sub in a ported enclosure, along with an Alpine Amp. Nothing fancy, but just what I needed to get some bass back. Whats nice about Sam / Sorena is that he's mobile and comes to you. Additionally, his price was very competitive and even more so considering that they come to you. Bottom line, I think they did a great job with my install and that's why I'm giving them a shout out here. Sorena Audio Website:
http://www.sorenacaraudio.com/

a pic of the install in my garage:

So about 2 .5 hours after Sam arrived, everything was done and we sat in the car and tuned the system a bit. Now, I've got the nice, powerful, articulate type of bass in my new vehicle I was missing, so I'm smiling.

Outside the vehicle while the music is going though, my gas door is vibrating. And I don't just mean a little, I mean RATTLING...like violently every time the bass hits. The rest of the trunk though was pretty solid and I guess that's a reflection of our vehicles being pretty solidly built.

I have heard of a few guys using Dynamat on the gas door and it helping, but I wanted to try something else first....

I used this foam from partsexpress.com, which I happened to have left over from a different project:
https://www.parts-express.com/parts-...-roll--260-542

On the back side of the foam is tape adhesive, so I mounted a few pieces like this:

When I now close the gas door it takes about 25% more pressure to close then it use to, but it still clicks shut nicely, and all rattles are gone. Even with the subs volume up, louder than I would realistically every listen to it, the gas door is silent.
The following users liked this post:
jaguar_83 (04-19-21)
Old 11-24-14, 06:57 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Good idea...one question though. Did your installer use a Hi-pass wire to the amp? If yes from which speaker?
Old 11-24-14, 07:09 PM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Nice man im going to do this in the weekend, I had my gas cover rattling for the past year. I got 2 12s hopefully this will work for me. Will post back here once i try it.
Old 11-24-14, 07:22 PM
kevings03
Rookie

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Good idea...one question though. Did your installer use a Hi-pass wire to the amp? If yes from which speaker?
My understanding is that at first he tried grabbing signal from one of the speakers but the sub had very little output ( he was also using a line out converter here ). So, he then grabbed signal from the Mark Levinson sub via the LOC and that worked like a charm.

In case your wondering the ML sub and Amp were left untouched but are now disconnected.

ps- These 12 inch Alpine subs really hit nicely for the money! I've only got 500 watts RMS going to the sub, but it's more then I could ever want in my vehicle since my goal was nice clean sound quality and not to be heard from a block away.

ps- Anyone looking for a good mobile installer in O.C should give him a call. I just finished up a Yelp review for him and noticed that just about every review ( close to 50 of them ) was for 5 stars, including mine.
Old 11-24-14, 07:26 PM
kevings03
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSTONY
Nice man im going to do this in the weekend, I had my gas cover rattling for the past year. I got 2 12s hopefully this will work for me. Will post back here once i try it.
Hi Tony, yeah come back and let me know please. It would be interesting to see if you get the same result. I'd say the key is making sure you use thick enough material to put some tenstion on the door when you shut it. The more tension there is the more solid the door gets when shut, so with 2 12's you may even need to to apply 2 pieces stacked on each other, since that's undoubtedly a lot of bass/spl in your trunk.
Old 11-24-14, 08:44 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

Good idea. Gonna order that foam.
Old 11-24-14, 09:14 PM
kevings03
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexRuger
Good idea. Gonna order that foam.
I noticed your in CA. If your not to far from me ( anaheim ) and want to save a few bucks, feel free to stop by and pick some up....i've got plenty. Pm me if you'd like to.
The following users liked this post:
jaguar_83 (09-27-21)
Old 11-25-14, 04:20 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kevings03
My understanding is that at first he tried grabbing signal from one of the speakers but the sub had very little output ( he was also using a line out converter here ). So, he then grabbed signal from the Mark Levinson sub via the LOC and that worked like a charm.
Alpine subs really hit nicely for the money! I've only got 500 watts RMS going to the sub, but it's more then I could ever want in my vehicle since my goal was nice clean sound quality and not to be heard from a block away.

ps- Anyone looking for a good mobile installer in O.C should give him a call. I just finished up a Yelp review for him and noticed that just about every review ( close to 50 of them ) was for 5 stars, including mine.
Thanks alot for this info! Gonna install a sub my self.
Old 11-25-14, 06:53 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hmm i should try that also, i installed a jlw7 12" and the gas cap was going crazy. i ended up dynamating the entire cap lol
Old 11-25-14, 08:43 AM
kevings03
Rookie

Originally Posted by neegroy
hmm i should try that also, i installed a jlw7 12" and the gas cap was going crazy. i ended up dynamating the entire cap lol
I was going to dynomat the entire trunk as well, since my installer quoted me just 80 bucks to do it all, but since the foam core tape worked for the gas cap, I didnt do it then.

I may still have him out to do the trunk in the future since there is a lot of energy back there when the sub is going hard and though the panels arent really rattling, there definitely resonating, if that makes sense.

So out of curiosity, did the Dynomat stop your gas door from rattling or just cut down the severity?
Old 11-25-14, 02:18 PM
fsportjay
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

please post a pic of the setup in your trunk. what settings (bass, treble, etc.) do you have your headunit on?
Old 11-25-14, 02:50 PM
jayyyy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i took apart my gas door and put dynamat behind it and also the the foam like you did.
Old 04-19-16, 04:25 PM
mrnjstrong
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you!

Thank you so much, I just installed a 12" Kicker Comp R along with a 600 watt Kicker amp. My gas door has been going insane!
Old 05-18-16, 09:51 PM
tnav
Driver School Candidate

Dude, thanks for sharing. Been having the same issue for awhile now. Will try the foam thing. Question, did you remove or disconnect your factory sub?

I took it out. Had to remove the back seat to get to it. Reasoning was to have an opening (still have the grill on) for my CompR 12' sub to come through.
Old 05-19-16, 07:50 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tnav
Dude, thanks for sharing. Been having the same issue for awhile now. Will try the foam thing. Question, did you remove or disconnect your factory sub?

I took it out. Had to remove the back seat to get to it. Reasoning was to have an opening (still have the grill on) for my CompR 12' sub to come through.
I was trying to access the gas door from the wheel well and through the trunk, both not accessible. It must be via the back seat. I would dynamat there too. H

How long did it take to remove the seat?

Quick Reply: Stop that vibrating gas door!