GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

My First Impressions of F Sport Ownership

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-13, 01:41 PM
jimster716
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Impressions of F Sport Ownership

I've had my F Sport for a couple of weeks now but only in the past couple of days have I played with Sport, Sport+ modes and with the Manual paddle shifters.

The tranny isn't some raced out dual clutch tranny with shifts in milliseconds so I didn't expect much but I was a little disappointed in the response time when shifting. And the electronic nanny that upshifts for you kind of detracts from the fully manual setting (am I racing myself or the nanny to see who shifts first). The whole 6-spd vs 8-spd argument...a sedan at a just ok 306hp and 3800lbs, to me gear counts is a who's got a bigger **** contest in this situation.

I do like the noticeable improvement in suspension feel in Sport mode and the quicker throttle response in Sport+. When hitting twistier road conditions, the car feels smaller than it is which is a definite plus...feels almost nimble. I haven't driven it hard enough to see if I can utilize any oversteer through a turn or if the car has any annoying tendency to understeer. Maybe I'll do an autocross just to test. Not a big fan of the steering assist ironically, I think it detracts from overall road feel and driving experience...kind of an artificial disconnect which is a shame with the nice F Sport sport steering wheel.

Really though, by far the worst part of the car for me are the F Sport 4-piston brakes. It's like they have a mind of their own. Coming up on stopped or slow traffic and I'll modulate brake pedal as needed (I wouldn't consider myself a noob with regular track and SCCA Solo2 time behind the wheel in street prepared RWD sports cars) and without influence the brakes add pressure on their own mid-braking almost like ABS engaging. I did some research to see if something was maybe wrong and some reviewers complained about the same thing like the brakes are possessed. LOL.

Overall, love the car. It's bigger but drives smaller, it's luxurious (I chose the F Sport over the 5-series just because of the interior), it's sporty...now I have to wait 8 weeks for my Work Gnosis wheels to arrive in the next container from Japan and to protoype some springs. Some mid-20's guy ran over to my parked car at lunch and started doing the walkaround and peering into the interior. We talked for a bit, his dreamcar right now...put a smile on my face.
Old 07-09-13, 06:13 PM
lithe
Driver School Candidate

Congrats Jim!

Nice to hear from an owner with some driving cred that confirms the positive car magazine reviews about the GS.

Was 5-series that close in performance that it came down to interior characteristics to make a choice? Did you consider any other competitors?

Post some pics if you get a chance! Can't wait to see your wheels & springs? What manufacturer?
Old 07-10-13, 09:10 AM
jimster716
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lithe
Congrats Jim!

Nice to hear from an owner with some driving cred that confirms the positive car magazine reviews about the GS.

Was 5-series that close in performance that it came down to interior characteristics to make a choice? Did you consider any other competitors?

Post some pics if you get a chance! Can't wait to see your wheels & springs? What manufacturer?
It's not that 5-series and GS350 were that close in performance...I personally prefer the way BMW's drive (something about steering feel and response that no one seems to be able to match) but sitting in the 5-series sport I was completely underwhelmed by the interior and at that price point it was a real disappointment. I was also looking at the E-Class Sport. In my area, 5-Series and E-Class are status toys and that was another reason why I decided against them, I just didn't want to be associated with the same crowd. Of course, I also looked at the Audi A6 but I'm kind of tired of seeing the same design lines that go across the entire line with very little differentiation imo.

I'll post pics when the wheels are mounted and springs are in. Spring manufacturer? I'll keep it under wraps until they're done and I can take some pics with the car lowered but it's a reputable company that does suspension only.
Old 07-10-13, 01:15 PM
lithe
Driver School Candidate

It's not that 5-series and GS350 were that close in performance...I personally prefer the way BMW's drive (something about steering feel and response that no one seems to be able to match) but sitting in the 5-series sport I was completely underwhelmed by the interior and at that price point it was a real disappointment. I was also looking at the E-Class Sport. In my area, 5-Series and E-Class are status toys and that was another reason why I decided against them, I just didn't want to be associated with the same crowd. Of course, I also looked at the Audi A6 but I'm kind of tired of seeing the same design lines that go across the entire line with very little differentiation imo.
Hmmm, so you prefered the current 5-series to the GS in terms of driving performance? From what I read most critics would disagree. I'd agree that the 5-series used to be the mid-size champ, but not so much with the current generation. Even the ATS, and new IS seem to have the 3-series beat at what it used to be known for (handling).

Couldn't agree more about MB/BMW's everywhere. That alone really is a turn-off.

Your analysis of Audi's design language is a common complaint I think. Still, the current A6 is very good looking, especially with either 19" or 20" sport package wheels. And at least it's not as common as the other Europeans.
Old 07-10-13, 07:16 PM
ShermanMR2
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From one track guy to another, these car are what they are which is a very nice luxurious and somewhat sporty cruisers. Yes the F sport has some very sporty intentions for its class however it doesn't really come close to competing with prepped track cars. On the other hand track cars don't come close to competing with luxury cars. If Lexus made the GS anymore sporty I wouldn't had bought it and that comes from someone that goes to the track several times a month and could appreciate a sporty drive.