GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rhino Ramps / F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-12, 05:36 PM
MY13GS350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rhino Ramps / F-Sport

Has anyone put their GS F-Sport up on Rhino Ramps yet? Just wondering about front lip clearance. I'm planning to try it out tomorrow but was just wondering before hand.
Old 05-22-12, 09:43 AM
MY13GS350
Rookie

Ok so I tested out the Rhino Ramps with my GS350 F-Sport....
No Problems at all, Now to take the little cover off under there and see how easy an oil change will be.

* Dont forget to set the parking brake if you don't already have it set to auto, safety first *

Old 05-22-12, 10:46 AM
MY13GS350
Rookie

While the car is up on the ramps I thought I would take a few pictures and share them with the group. I will say, this is the first car I have ever owned that is completely sealed underneath, meaning, if you run through a puddle you will most likely not get any water up into the engine bay. In any event here goes:

Here is the brake cooling intake

And from inside the wheel well

I noticed a vented cover under the transmission

Now the oil filter cover (uses a 10mm socket or phillips head screwdriver)
Ill point out that the cover has an absorbent pad to catch drips after reinstallation (a nice touch)

Which reveals the oil filter cartridge cover

And lastly the oil pan drain plug (uses a 14mm socket)

Old 05-22-12, 12:11 PM
patricksr5
Pole Position

If ever concerned about catching front spoiler, use some plywood pieces in front of your ramps to get the car up a little before it hits the ramps. I do this with my Corvette and it works great.
Old 05-23-12, 07:17 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice work and great pics i do not forsee myself doing an oil change anytime soon, but its good to know what it looks like down there if i ever need to. i actually love the fact that it is sealed underneath but i wonder if this will cause an issue if i ever decide to clean/detail the engine bay at some point.
Old 05-23-12, 10:40 AM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice pix. Seem like you got skills in photography.

I had a bad experience with Rhino ramps. They made by plastic and will fade/broken if leave under sun for long time. So make sure check it before each use.

One of the ramp broken when I pull up my ES. End up scratch on the rocker molding and fender.

I would cut flywood and make custom ramps and it will last lifetime.
Old 05-23-12, 01:15 PM
MY13GS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by onexcite
Nice pix. Seem like you got skills in photography.

I had a bad experience with Rhino ramps. They made by plastic and will fade/broken if leave under sun for long time. So make sure check it before each use.

One of the ramp broken when I pull up my ES. End up scratch on the rocker molding and fender.

I would cut flywood and make custom ramps and it will last lifetime.
Sorry to hear your experience with the rhino ramps. I appreciate your warning and definitely I check the ramps when I use them. At first I was very skeptical about buying plastic ramps but they have served me well for the past 10 years. I keep them in the garage so no sun damage.

I used to drive my GMC Duramax up on them.. thats a good 3000 lbs on the front wheels, no problems.

But as always, safety first!
Old 05-23-12, 02:24 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 486 Likes on 322 Posts

These raceramps.com are said to be wonderful.
Built from the same rubber that built the space shuttle.
There is an extra special add on for vehicles like Corvettes with low ground clearance.
SST removal tool for Lexus oil filters...

Old 05-23-12, 02:32 PM
MY13GS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by peteharvey
These raceramps.com are said to be wonderful.
Built from the same rubber that built the space shuttle.
There is an extra special add on for vehicles like Corvettes with low ground clearance.
SST removal tool for Lexus oil filters...

Nice ramps, Im going to look into those. I like how the ramp part can be removed for working clearance.

I ordered the SST filter tool from Sewell, filters, washers, tools, all weather mats will be here tomorrow! Zaino stuff too

Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-24-12, 12:40 PM
patricksr5
Pole Position

+1 on Race Ramps. I have used them for my Corvette but not my Lexus yet.
Old 05-25-12, 01:50 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 486 Likes on 322 Posts

I find these OTC 1533 Aluminium 2 ton hydraulic racing jacks, and aluminium 2 ton jack stands very good too.
Not only is the aluminium annodising gorgeous, the Al build makes it so light to carry, compared to the old dirty looking and heavyweight steel jacks and jack stands.
The hydraulic jack can sneak under the low GS, is powerful to use, not many strokes required for a full lift, has a pretty high maximum lift, and doesn't leak oil at all.
The OTC hydraulic jack comes with a lifetime warranty.
The jack stands are a pin type for safety. I'm scared of using the ratchet-type - one slip, and it can drop one level.
The hydraulic jack lifts both front wheel off the ground, or both rear wheels off the ground.
I actually have four jack stands, so that I can hold all four wheels off the ground - great to remove all four wheels at once, and rotate etc.
For those looking to lift 3 tons, try Arcan hydraulic jacks.

A Ryobi 18V cordless 265 Ncm impact wrench is compact, tidy, and fast to use. Makes quick removal of the four wheels.
However I put the nuts back on using a Panasonic 14.4V cordless drill which can only max some 46 Ncm, for safety to avoid stripping the threads.
I use a manual torque wrench to tighten the 20 nuts to Toyota's factory recommended 106 NCm.

While a Ridgid CA-300 endoscopic camera is also very useful for looking into the engine compartment etc, without having to disassemble parts.
The CA-300 has a powerful 4xLED light for illumination, plus it can also take photographs, and even record video with voice recording onto its SD memory card.

All great for the simple home mechanic...

Last edited by peteharvey; 05-25-12 at 03:48 PM.