GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Does PCS auto brake 2 seconds?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-12, 10:58 AM
Johnwang12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does PCS auto brake 2 seconds?

I am in USA and interested in the new GS 350. one dealer and also lexus service guy told me the PCS system only prepares the frontal crash, but not auto braking for 2 seconds.
But lexus.com says this:

The Pre-Collision System* available on the GS wasn't born out of theory or speculation. It's a result of real observations using the world's most advanced driving simulator. This remarkable Pre-Collision System* connects to cameras designed to detect if you have your eyes closed or are facing away from the road when an obstacle is detected ahead. If the system determines either condition is met, it will attempt to warn you through a series of beeps and visible indications. And, to help you avoid a potential collision, the GS is also designed to automatically begin braking a full two seconds before impact.

so which means it does brake 2 seconds.

So can anyone confirm if it really does brake or not,,, correspondingly to Mercedes, it is pre-safe and pre-safe brake....

if it is only pre-safe like, proberbly i will not order this feature. if it is also pre-sassfe brake, then i will order this feature...

anyone helps?
Old 03-08-12, 11:15 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

check out page 281 on http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_04-05.pdf

Pre-collision braking
When there is a high possibility of a frontal collision, the system warns the driver using a warning light, warning display and buzzer. If the system determines that a collision is unavoidable, the brakes are automatically applied to reduce the collision speed.

Disclaimer: I am not a Lexus dealer or Lexus service guy - do try to get confirmation from an authorized Lexus representative.
Old 03-08-12, 01:09 PM
Johnwang12
Driver School Candidate

thanks for reply...
so from the pdf file, looks like it does have auto braking, though it does not mention 2 seconds or how much deceleration is....

both Audi A6 and MB E class have auto braking for 2 seconds with 0.5g deceleration, BMW 5 series specifically mention it does NOT auto brake....

however, the pdf file also shows there is no switch or button to turn off the "driver monitor system", unless something is used to cover it off.... a little bit crappy if u think someone is watching you all the times....
Old 03-08-12, 01:47 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnwang12
so from the pdf file, looks like it does have auto braking, though it does not mention 2 seconds or how much deceleration is....
go to http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/safety/index.html#p and on the "safety" tab, you will find this:
"And, to help you avoid a potential collision, the GS is also designed to automatically begin braking a full two seconds before impact. "

About how much the deceleration is, I'm guessing Lexus has that documented somewhere, though I sure hope that it gives the same effect as slamming on the brakes - as hard as possible - especially if a collision is unavoidable

the pdf file also shows there is no switch or button to turn off the "driver monitor system", unless something is used to cover it off.... a little bit crappy if u think someone is watching you all the times....
Regarding the driver monitor system, well, it really isn't some"one" watching - it is the car's sensors that are monitoring you to see if you are looking towards the road or not (in case there is a possibility of a collision)
Old 03-11-12, 05:44 PM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm looking at the 2013 GS to replace my 2006GS, but lack of info about the capability of the APCS is holding me back.

Lexus is offering this option, but is making essentially ZERO effort to sell it.

The dealer is unable to answer my questions about the APCS, and has no demo available with it. All they can tell me is that its only available on special order. So I'm supposed to buy a $2000 option based on some vague description in a marketing brochure? Sorry, not me!

Same situation with the nightvision and head-up display.

Volvo, on the other hard, is a very different story. The "City Safe" system is standard. the radar based system is an option, and does require a factory order, but at least their web site and owner's manual is pretty dear about what you're getting.

Sure the Lexus GS is more luxurious, but the Volvo S80 is not a dud by any stretch, and it is less money.
Old 03-11-12, 07:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by hziemba
I'm looking at the 2013 GS to replace my 2006GS, but lack of info about the capability of the APCS is holding me back.

Lexus is offering this option, but is making essentially ZERO effort to sell it.

The dealer is unable to answer my questions about the APCS, and has no demo available with it. All they can tell me is that its only available on special order. So I'm supposed to buy a $2000 option based on some vague description in a marketing brochure? Sorry, not me!

Same situation with the nightvision and head-up display.

Volvo, on the other hard, is a very different story. The "City Safe" system is standard. the radar based system is an option, and does require a factory order, but at least their web site and owner's manual is pretty dear about what you're getting.

Sure the Lexus GS is more luxurious, but the Volvo S80 is not a dud by any stretch, and it is less money.
you can not test APCS :-)... well hopefully you never get to.

you are right that they dont have much info, probably because Lexus isnt sending demos with it yet... but APCS is already an option in other Lexus models and so is heads-up display.

I bet demos will come with GS450h, which is supposedly high end version of GS, and should be arriving at dealers in 3-4 weeks from now.
Old 03-11-12, 11:40 PM
yamanote
Driver

I had the 'luck' to try out my Crown Hybrid's PCS system. In a word, it works.

I was on the highway heading toward the airport. Decent traffic load. Relatively heavy fog and it was raining at the time- pretty poor visibility. I pulled out to pass a slow moving car (as it turns out, it was a chain of 3 slow moving vehicles).

As I accelerated to pass the chain of cars the vehicle that was sandwiched in the chain (an airport transfer type minivan iirc) suddenly swerved out to pass the first car. Almost immediately I felt the seatbelt retracting and heard a loud beeping sound. I felt the car stop accelerating though my right foot was still hard down on the accelerator and when I touched the brake it felt like full braking force was applied.

Fortunately the van in front decided to floor it, probably completely unaware of me behind him (those Alphards are enormous), so the collision was averted. It did however confirm that radar sensor was working.

No idea if the same system is implemented on the 4GS but it is probably the exact same system, albeit without the rear PCS radar fitted. If I understand it correctly it only auto brakes if the collision is deemed unavoidable- it won't brake to a complete halt before the collision (the Mercedes Pre-Safe Brake function doesn't brake to a complete stop either)

Last edited by yamanote; 03-12-12 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-12-12, 06:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

yes, they all brake only when crash is imminent - they do it this way to make sure system does not make an mistake, you are still the main driver of the vehicle.

now if you had radar cruise control activated, it would brake before.
Old 03-12-12, 08:46 AM
yamanote
Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
yes, they all brake only when crash is imminent - they do it this way to make sure system does not make an mistake, you are still the main driver of the vehicle.

now if you had radar cruise control activated, it would brake before.
But does this system brake all the way down to 0kph (like Mercedes' Distronic Plus or BMW's Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go) or does the system disengage automatically at around 30kph like previous Toyota systems?
Old 03-13-12, 11:20 AM
Johnwang12
Driver School Candidate

from user manual and broche and website, looks like it will break for the last two seconds, proberbly very similar to both MB or Audi, either 2 seconds in 0.5g, or 1second 0.5g plus 1 second full force.... not necessarily to fullstop...

man, next MB e class next spring will even have a T-bone pre-collision system,,,
Old 03-13-12, 05:16 PM
yamanote
Driver

from user manual and broche and website, looks like it will break for the last two seconds, proberbly very similar to both MB or Audi, either 2 seconds in 0.5g, or 1second 0.5g plus 1 second full force.... not necessarily to fullstop...

man, next MB e class next spring will even have a T-bone pre-collision system,,,
It will brake if collision is imminent to reduce the impact speed. It will not come to a full stop.

Does anyone know if the rear PCS is available for the 4GS?
Old 03-13-12, 06:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by yamanote
But does this system brake all the way down to 0kph (like Mercedes' Distronic Plus or BMW's Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go) or does the system disengage automatically at around 30kph like previous Toyota systems?
in Europe and Japan it does... not sure about USA, probably not for legal reason.
Old 03-13-12, 06:40 PM
Johnwang12
Driver School Candidate

Audit a6 pre sense plus has rear pre collison....in usa