GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

P2111 code Throttle Actuator stuck open. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-16, 04:30 PM
CarKrayz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P2111 code Throttle Actuator stuck open. HELP

Hope someone here can help with my situation.
I have done a lot of research on this one. Most ppl have this issue but their cars will shut off but with my situation the car just goes into a limp mode where I cant go any faster then 5-10mph.
Note: It will not happen on the highway.
It only happens during local driving where there are lots of stop and go. I would come to a stop and the idle will drop below 500rpm then the check engine light(P2111 code) comes on which leads to limp mode.

I notice it is a quick solution if I shut off the car and turn it back on, the check engine light stays on however I am able to drive it faster but once I come to a stop again it will go back to limp mode with the same P2111 code.
I have check the throttle body for any objects and also cleaned it. Inspect the throttle body flap to see if it is smooth opening and closing, it is smooth.
Would anyone know a solution to this? Before I go off buying a new throttle body, I wanted to see if anything else I may need to inspect/clean/test before buying OEM parts. Is there a calibration or testing can fix the issue?
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-18-16, 04:36 PM
z2g2gs
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check and make sure the mass air flow sensor is still plugged up, check for any possible vacuum leaks or a leak between the maf sensor at the air cleaner box and the throttle body, maybe a loose clamp, etc. before buying parts.
Old 09-18-16, 05:10 PM
CarKrayz
Rookie

I checked the MAF sensor and it is clean, I will check if there are any leaks or loose clams again. Hopefully it is just a leak where I can patch or tighten clams.
Old 09-19-16, 04:04 PM
CarKrayz
Rookie

Originally Posted by z2g2gs
I would check and make sure the mass air flow sensor is still plugged up, check for any possible vacuum leaks or a leak between the maf sensor at the air cleaner box and the throttle body, maybe a loose clamp, etc. before buying parts.
Checked all the areas that I can check for leaks. I don't see or hear any where that may have a leak.
If I were to unplug the connection from the throttle body sensor, will I need to re-calibrate or any type of re-program?
Old 04-21-20, 09:29 AM
Andrew23
Driver School Candidate

Default Hey OP.... did you figure out a solution? New throttle body?

I have the same issue on local roads with my RCF. Did you find any solution. It’s miserable waiting at stop lights when your car can go limp whenever it wants.

ugh
Old 04-21-20, 02:25 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 795 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew23
I have the same issue on local roads with my RCF. Did you find any solution. It’s miserable waiting at stop lights when your car can go limp whenever it wants.

ugh
Did you try cleaning the maf with electrical cleaner?
Also did you unplug, remove the throttle body, and thoroughly cleaned it inside and out?
How many miles are on the car?
Did you check battery terminals for a loose fitting terminal?
Old 04-21-20, 02:35 PM
Andrew23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Did you try cleaning the maf with electrical cleaner?
Also did you unplug, remove the throttle body, and thoroughly cleaned it inside and out?
How many miles are on the car?
Did you check battery terminals for a loose fitting terminal?
Thanks for helping! I had my local shop clean the throttle body while replacing my super charger pulley bearings. He said it was clean. I haven't cleaned the MAF. Car only has 40K miles.

I drove it all winter and it never threw the code nor went limp, but once the weather warms up like yesterday 65 degrees it does it a couple times a week.

Maybe its a weak connection or sensor? Given it only happens in warmer weather could it be a sensor going bad? I am not the most mechanically inclined. Any suggestions help!
Old 04-21-20, 02:52 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 795 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew23
Thanks for helping! I had my local shop clean the throttle body while replacing my super charger pulley bearings. He said it was clean. I haven't cleaned the MAF. Car only has 40K miles.

I drove it all winter and it never threw the code nor went limp, but once the weather warms up like yesterday 65 degrees it does it a couple times a week.

Maybe its a weak connection or sensor? Given it only happens in warmer weather could it be a sensor going bad? I am not the most mechanically inclined. Any suggestions help!
I dont know much about the RCF, this is a 3GS. I didnt even know they came with superchargers is that factory or did you add it?

If its the v6 engine the same in our 3GS, then you can easily remove the throttle body its only held on with 4 bolts, a wire plug, and a couple vacuum hoses. This will allow you to remove it from the car, buy some electrical cleaner or throttle body cleaner. Spray the cleaner in and out, and push on the inside butterfly to thoroughly clean it. Reinstall and see if it goes away. If it doesnt go away then maybe see if theres a throttle position sensor, and maybe its not calibrated.