GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

What to look for during CPO warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-16, 08:01 AM
plainview
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What issues to look for during CPO warranty

Just bought a 2011 CPO GS 350 unfortunately after the warranty changed. Was wondering what kinds of things I should be looking for along the way of issues, service campaigns, etc that may need to be addressed while the car is under warranty. Obviously I will want anything like that or anything that goes wrong to happen over the next two years. After checking the service history the only thing noteable is the repacement of the camshaft timing gear. Other than that it's pretty ordinary. I've read about some of the other nuances with this model like the dash rattles and such but am not familiar with common issues like when we bought my wife's 2G RX. I already found a small (about .5") place on the hood where the paint is broken. Not sure if that falls under the buying used as is clause or if a CPO vehicle should have never passed CPO inspection and sold with broken paint even if the area is that small. I notified the dealer and have an appt to take it up this Thursday afternoon. Don't know if or how they will repair or if clear bra over the front of hood is a viable fix. You would still see the break in the paint but may keep from getting worse or rusting. I look forward to hearing suggestions and always appreciate the conversation!

Last edited by plainview; 02-11-16 at 03:41 PM. Reason: More specific
Old 02-09-16, 09:17 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Back when mine was under CPO warranty, some things that were fixed included the tilt down of the side mirrors when reversing and attempted dash rattle corrections. I highly doubt that the will fix the clear bra since its an aftermarket add-on but I hope they take care of it for you. Some members have had issues with the rear sunshade and some blackening of the rear view mirror.
Old 02-09-16, 09:23 AM
plainview
Rookie

Originally Posted by msgs350
Back when mine was under CPO warranty, some things that were fixed included the tilt down of the side mirrors when reversing and attempted dash rattle corrections. I highly doubt that the will fix the clear bra since its an aftermarket add-on but I hope they take care of it for you. Some members have had issues with the rear sunshade and some blackening of the rear view mirror.
I appreciate your input. I will keep those things in mind. There currently is no clear bra, I thought that might be a fix I may try to settle with if they cannot correct by grinding, painting that area, then shooting the whole hood with clear coat. I can't think of any other ways they could address that spot. Thanks again!
Old 02-09-16, 09:34 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by plainview
I appreciate your input. I will keep those things in mind. There currently is no clear bra, I thought that might be a fix I may try to settle with if they cannot correct by grinding, painting that area, then shooting the whole hood with clear coat. I can't think of any other ways they could address that spot. Thanks again!
Oh, got it. My bad, I thought there was a clear bra over it. Good luck requesting for that repair.
Old 02-09-16, 11:33 AM
plainview
Rookie

So your dash rattles didn't get fixed? Did they at least get better. I thought there were windshield clips they removed to correct this. Or at least that's what I've seen in service history notes. I'm assuming the other corrections were successful?
Old 02-09-16, 12:24 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by plainview
So your dash rattles didn't get fixed? Did they at least get better. I thought there were windshield clips they removed to correct this. Or at least that's what I've seen in service history notes. I'm assuming the other corrections were successful?
No, they never fully went away and I just gave up. It gets worse when its colder out. The issue was around the windshield and also the radio/Nav screen. They probably tried some felt materials but it didn't fully fix it. It was a well known issue that never really had a real resolution.
Old 02-09-16, 08:23 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Funny enough, my dash rattles went away when I had my windshield replaced. The notorious clips had been removed prior to this and did not fix the issue.
Old 02-10-16, 11:37 PM
gvu20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Noticed this right after I bought my 3GS, the sensor behind one of the passenger door handles was not working, so it did not unlock my car. I dont get how my car passed certification. Also windshield rattle got fixed, they stuffed it with foam or something. Rattles are gone. My driverside mirror didn't fold all the way in, so it got replaced. Brakes were squeaking so they fixed that with new rotors and pads. Theres an issue with the brakes for the 2011 model year, so it would have gotten fixed without CPO I think.
Old 02-11-16, 04:46 AM
plainview
Rookie

Originally Posted by gvu20
Noticed this right after I bought my 3GS, the sensor behind one of the passenger door handles was not working, so it did not unlock my car. I dont get how my car passed certification. Also windshield rattle got fixed, they stuffed it with foam or something. Rattles are gone. My driverside mirror didn't fold all the way in, so it got replaced. Brakes were squeaking so they fixed that with new rotors and pads. Theres an issue with the brakes for the 2011 model year, so it would have gotten fixed without CPO I think.
Thanks for the info. Sorry to hear about the issues you had with your CPO. Seems so far in this thread issues are not exactly mechanical as far as the drive train, but issues none the less. I know what you mean about not knowing how your car was certified. Not sure how broken paint could pass in my case. Seems at the end of the day even if you are buying CPO that the used car business is still the used car business no matter what or where one is buying. Sure your odds get better at a Lexus dealership but the core principals are the same. Have not heard about the brakes being funky on the '11 until know. Knew I read plenty of service history on '08's with brake issues but no other years. One would think that after 5 years of that blueprint that would not be the case.
Old 02-11-16, 06:12 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

In my opinion and experience, Lexus CPO vehicles aren't in better shape compared to what you can find on your own. Its simply a marketing tool that the customers pay for, mainly because of the extended warranty. I just bought a 2012 IS-F with 32k miles and didn't even consider CPO. The car still has the remainder of the factory warranty (hopefully it turns out well).
Old 02-11-16, 07:29 AM
plainview
Rookie

In my opinion and experience, Lexus CPO vehicles aren't in better shape compared to what you can find on your own. Its simply a marketing tool that the customers pay for, mainly because of the extended warranty. I just bought a 2012 IS-F with 32k miles and didn't even consider CPO. The car still has the remainder of the factory warranty (hopefully it turns out well).
You may be right. I kind of feel like a fool for making the decision I did and paying an inflated price for my car. No doubt I got a great car that's not easy to find in my area but could have waited a few more months and taken a chance. I did want a warranty but if I don't use it over the next two years it's money down the drain. If I do use it, I have a car with problems, but at least they would be getting fixed. The salesmen really talk that warranty up and place a large dollar amount on it when they are discussion the benefits of CPO, but when he told me he could take it off, it would only reduce the price by $900. So if that's the case you figure you might as well keep it. I'm sure this is part of the strategy to sell cars.