GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

About to Jump ship. Need help being brought back (or just new car itch?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-15, 08:47 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to Jump ship. Need help being brought back (or just new car itch?)

I am like almost moments away from buying a 2014 Acura RLX Advanced Package. The reason I am looking at this car, is because it is a good deal. The car retails for $61,439 New and on sale for $38,900 but he said he can go down to $37K which is 40% off in 1 model year. Hopefully no wrecks I have to check autocheck. I really want a Lexus GS350 with the luxary package, Mark Levingston, Blindspot etc they are around $38K or so CPO for a 2 year Model year one. I can get the CPO's at any point in time. The question is will I find that car at that price again in a year or so ago when I HAVE to have a car? The only thing better then these would be a BMW 550I, E550 or a GS-F. The GS-F would be close to that price in 3 years, so that is a 3 year wait. The other ones I can probably find now. To me the RLX is as close as I am going to get to a GS in quality and things inside etc. Any particular advantage the GS has over the RLX (you can't say depreciation because I don't see it taking another 20K hit for its 2nd year).
Old 04-10-15, 09:56 PM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

well...I'm the wrong guy to ask...because I would never spend $30k + on ANY car, period. Unless, of course, I was buying it ONLY to sell it for a profit. As far as buying to keep and drive...ummm...no. Far too many quality pre-owned nice cars for 20K and less that I'm fine with driving, while I plow more cash into things that actually go UP in value over time. Now..if you're a high roller and have plenty of discretionary cashflow...then why be worrying about it? Just pull the trigger and be done with it. Sounds to me, sorry if this doesn't sit right with you, that you're trying to talk yourself into buying more car that you really should be.

Just re-read the other thread you started about "should I keep this 06' as a spare, etc". Sounds like you really just have an itch to get a newer/nicer car...and trust me, I understand that feeling. That said, I'm guessing I'm a bit older and have learned from some past financial mistakes....so I'm going to give you some advice. If you don't own a home yet...as you implied in your other thread.....I would strongly recommend putting some of that savings into buying one. I would not be sinking 37-40k into a car that is going to depreciate for certain in the next 5 years, especially with a 33k per year track record you seem to have...when you could upgrade for half of that much and put the rest into property that WILL be appreciating. I was a financial planner for 10 years prior to the sales career I'm in now...and trust me...you won't find any advisor who would "okay" your idea of putting that kind of $$$ into a car if you're still paying rent somewhere to live.

There ARE compromises. I bought a very very clean, Lexus serviced, loaded 09' GS with 74k for $17,500 out the door. It's plenty nice enough for my ego, won't embarrass me when I pull up to a client's business, still has LOTS of life in it, paid well below book value for it (@$4k less than I should of paid) AND....it didn't keep me from making double payments on my home, fully funding my 401k, adding to my savings account, etc. Be patient, keep driving the 06', keep saving your $$$$ and wait for a great "compromise vehicle". You'll find one that may not be AS NICE as this RXL...but it will be a nice step up AND keep you in position to buy a house, etc. Just my .02

Last edited by gr8fulRed; 04-10-15 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-10-15, 10:53 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by krava
. To me the RLX is as close as I am going to get to a GS in quality and things inside etc. Any particular advantage the GS has over the RLX (you can't say depreciation because I don't see it taking another 20K hit for its 2nd year).
the RLX is really worthless because no one wants it, so if it doesn't take a 20k hit, it will take another 10k hit in market value.

So unless you're planning to keep it for a long time, I wouldn't touch the RLX.
Old 04-11-15, 02:17 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

the RLX is great deal at 40% off in one model year.. but if you "Want" a GS350, then get a GS350. The RLX won't go anywhere, price will continue to plummet.. I'm waiting to pick up a RLX after 2-3 years for a bigger discount.. No body wants the RLX which is good for folks like me.. I won't worry about the RLX, they'll plenty around and the prices will get better if you're in the market for one. So, unless you really like it, and will keep it along time, its a good deal,. but if you want to drive for a year or two, thats a bad idea.. Go ahead and get what you really want..
Old 04-11-15, 07:38 AM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The RLX is a nice car but it is not a Lexus and not in the same class as the GS. The RLX is a FWD car with the ability to become AWD....completely different driving dynamics. I had a 2014 RLX Advance as a loaner for two weeks when they were waiting on some parts to come in for my Legend. While it was a nice car, the quality of the materials used are not quite there with Lexus...its closer but still not where I would expect on a 60k car. Now the technology part is light years better than Lexus and the Krell system embarrasses the ML in the 3rd Gen. I've owned several Acura's over the last 21 years...the only one that I still have is my 94 Legend...
Old 04-11-15, 07:39 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8fulRed
well...I'm the wrong guy to ask...because I would never spend $30k + on ANY car, period. Unless, of course, I was buying it ONLY to sell it for a profit. As far as buying to keep and drive...ummm...no. Far too many quality pre-owned nice cars for 20K and less that I'm fine with driving, while I plow more cash into things that actually go UP in value over time. Now..if you're a high roller and have plenty of discretionary cashflow...then why be worrying about it? Just pull the trigger and be done with it. Sounds to me, sorry if this doesn't sit right with you, that you're trying to talk yourself into buying more car that you really should be.

Just re-read the other thread you started about "should I keep this 06' as a spare, etc". Sounds like you really just have an itch to get a newer/nicer car...and trust me, I understand that feeling. That said, I'm guessing I'm a bit older and have learned from some past financial mistakes....so I'm going to give you some advice. If you don't own a home yet...as you implied in your other thread.....I would strongly recommend putting some of that savings into buying one. I would not be sinking 37-40k into a car that is going to depreciate for certain in the next 5 years, especially with a 33k per year track record you seem to have...when you could upgrade for half of that much and put the rest into property that WILL be appreciating. I was a financial planner for 10 years prior to the sales career I'm in now...and trust me...you won't find any advisor who would "okay" your idea of putting that kind of $$$ into a car if you're still paying rent somewhere to live.

There ARE compromises. I bought a very very clean, Lexus serviced, loaded 09' GS with 74k for $17,500 out the door. It's plenty nice enough for my ego, won't embarrass me when I pull up to a client's business, still has LOTS of life in it, paid well below book value for it (@$4k less than I should of paid) AND....it didn't keep me from making double payments on my home, fully funding my 401k, adding to my savings account, etc. Be patient, keep driving the 06', keep saving your $$$$ and wait for a great "compromise vehicle". You'll find one that may not be AS NICE as this RXL...but it will be a nice step up AND keep you in position to buy a house, etc. Just my .02
This is the best advice you can get.
Old 04-11-15, 08:01 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

A 40% decrease in its first year should be the reason why you don't get it. I'd rather have a 2006 LS430 under 20k ... 9 years out and still ball parking 60% decrease give or take thousands lol. Get the GS ^_^ she'll love you long time.

Or... hold tight and just find a nice new mod for the current.
Old 04-11-15, 04:36 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably will wait, the longer I wait the more I save.
Old 04-11-15, 07:16 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

RLX is not the kind of car I aspire to owning.

Acura doesn't have the cachet, and I would probably buy a hyundai genesis over the RLX. That's how low I see it.
Old 04-12-15, 10:44 AM
warandcar
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like everyone is saying "DONT GET IT!" =)
Old 04-13-15, 05:08 PM
Steve2424
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the financial advice mentioned in post #2. My only reason for plunking money down on my GS was because my previous car was involved in an accident that cost more than the total value of the car to fix = not worth it to me. Mine was an '08 350awd fully loaded except rear sunshade w/ 45k miles OTD @ $22.5k. My rationale was because I'm driving this car into the ground, or getting buried with it lol.

Cars depreciate and given your comparison here's my take:

-- Acura has fallen behind in terms of luxury brand cachet. You'll notice the differences in materials, creature features and overall plushness that probably lends to the reason it's already being marked down 40%. I wouldn't compare it in the same class as the GS, 5, E or A6 because they deliver on everything from tech, to power, to space and not to mention the badge is a little more recognizable than what Acura has turned into. More like a sub-alternative before dipping into 3-series, A4, TL territory.

-- @ that price, you could more than afford a used GS given your preference so why not get a 2013 CPO for the same price, and it's the car you want?

Unless your current car is really costing you more than it's worth to drive I'd say keep it, get on better financial footing and visit this personal debate when cash is an object and not a necessity. GS's, E-classes, 5-series, and the like will be made for years to come (or a rebranded version of them) so why make a decision now that will live with you for years to come?

Just my .02