GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Climate control issues/questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-14, 10:44 AM
lexjxn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Climate control issues/questions

Hi everyone! I have been reading the forum for years even before I got my Lexus but I am just now posting. Please help lol

There may be several issues here so please bear with me.

When I press "off" on my climate control, the air intake button to the right remains lit. Is that normal?

Something I noticed is when it was colder outside I would sometimes still feel a faint heat coming through the vents and notice a smell (more on this later) long after turning the control to off. Also, my screen always says "Air Conditioner" no matter if I have hot or cold air coming out. Again, this may be normal.

As for the smell, there is this .. smoky, burny (lol) type smell that comes out with heat or air that disappears sometimes but always comes back. Is that a filter issue? I do have issues with my air intake setting changing on it's own and have messed with the smog setting a little. I may need to investigate more.

Lastly, my air and especially my heat are loud with a vibration type sound.. mostly when just starting out for maybe 10-15 minutes. I would sometimes turn everything off and turn it back on and it would be quiet. That doesn't always work.
Old 04-20-14, 11:50 AM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

Check your cabin air filter. Sounds like your door might be broken. Put the system in recirc first.
Old 04-20-14, 09:18 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

The first question, yes... it's normal if the light stays on.

Your climate controls are still active, even though you turn the system OFF. Set your temps to a colder temp if you don't want the heater on in the car, that should make it go away. Also keep it on recirc so that no air from outside makes its way in.

I believe the "air conditioner" is normal, it's just the A/C Menu label.... meaning it's telling you it's the Air Conditioning Menu, just like Audio could be radio or CD.

I'm a bit confused onto your "smell" question. The smell that's smokey/burning is the heater running, if you haven't run it for a while, the heater is burning off old dust that was caked in the system. Here's how to diagnose from your sense of smell if it is normal or not. Take a heater that you normally have in the house (one that's sat on the shelf for a long time, not one that's been resealed up in a bag like what I do), and turn it in, it should have a faint burning smell. That smell is what's normal if you keep your heater on I believe.

Your air intake has nothing to do with your in cabin air filter. Those two are completely two different things. I say this because you said something about air intake setting and smog setting. The air intake leads IN and ONLY to the engine. Your in cabin air filter is a completely different thing, that's located in the glove box.

If you want everything to balance itself out, do this:

1) Hit Auto
2) Set temperature
3) Go to A/C Menu on screen
4) Hit Low-Medium, whichever setting makes you feel more at ease.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-29-14, 06:32 PM
lexjxn
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys!

The smell thing is weird almost like something coming from under the hood, but I just can't identify what it is.

I'm going to check the cabin filter/door. I think I'm going to let the dealer do my oil change coming up and I'll mention it to the service advisor
Old 02-01-15, 12:12 PM
lexjxn
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lexjxn

Lastly, my air and especially my heat are loud with a vibration type sound.. mostly when just starting out for maybe 10-15 minutes. I would sometimes turn everything off and turn it back on and it would be quiet. That doesn't always work.
Update!

I thought this sound might have been the servo for cabin filter door, but my door appears to be working correctly. I have taken a video of this noise/vibration and it seems to be coming from the blower motor.

I can still get the fan to come on quietly every blue moon (like in the video) but it always starts groaning eventually. I don't feel like there is any debris in there

Should I just replace the blower? You can pull it down out of the housing right? Thanks!
Old 03-09-15, 04:13 PM
lexjxn
Driver School Candidate

Red face

Hi everyone,

so I just replaced the blower with a four seasons brand and it's quiet as a mouse.

I'm assuming the blower motor got "off balance" from internet research. It always worked, just so noisy.