SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Hot air from feet area

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-04, 11:31 AM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot air from feet area

OK I don't know if this is normal or what, after the car has been driving for a while, like on the interstate not really around town. There seems to be an unusual amount of hot air blowing from the feet area ( this is when the climate control is off only ) if I have the sunroof open while driving I can still feel the hot air blowing from down there. Is this normal or is there something I need to fix.
( also my climate control display is broken but the unit itself still works )
Old 03-25-04, 02:54 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

During hot summer days on long stop and go drives I get hot air in the footwell also.

Its most likely the cats/exhaust system transferring the heat upwards.
Old 03-25-04, 03:46 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

well, just try hitting the "inside circulation" button on the climate control. that should stop the air from coming in....maybe

works for me
Old 03-25-04, 10:02 PM
ForNgoods
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i think i might know what your problem is... i think u have the recirculating air off and the temp. **** set on hot so it's sucking hot air from outside.
Old 03-26-04, 12:51 AM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this was covered a long time ago but the post got deleted, <im not joking when I said LONG TIME ago..> bascially as bizzy928 said, it has to do with the fact that the cats are right around that area, the 400 has 2 of them right there and they dont seat quite flat like most cars so they dont get as much air from underneath to cool them off or that area for that matter... usually the a/c helps with it though
Old 03-26-04, 09:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally posted by /Aerostar\
well, just try hitting the "inside circulation" button on the climate control. that should stop the air from coming in....maybe

works for me
Yes, this is probably the best way to deal with it. On most modern cars, it is difficult to keep a small amount of air from coming through the vents unless you use the recurculate function. This is done for potential safety reasons....once again you can thank the lawyers. By doing this it minimizes the chances for carbon monoxide build-up inside.

A word of caution.....and this is VERY important......do NOT use the recirculate function, ever, when the front windshield defrost is on. ALWAYS use the fresh-air intake for defrosting. If you don't, after a few minutes the windows will fog up for sure. Why? Because, as you exhale, you put moisture into the cabin, and all the recirculate button does is blow that same moisture build-up all around the inside windows and give you a mess. Trust me on this.
Old 03-26-04, 09:35 AM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

Yeah I think you guys are right on about the cats I took a look under there today andthey do sit right there, in that case this does answer my question because this would be normal. If I turn the air on it kills the hot air right away. My AC pumps BUT, I noticed one day after the wife had been driving for a while ( She keeps the AC on ALL THE TIME hot or cold AC button is on ) the car didn't sound as smooth as usual ( I have extreme micro hearing when it comes to the SC, paranoid because of the 213K miles number ) I lifted the hood and the AC lines had iced. Now I don't know that much about AC but does this mean that I need freaon, and if this is the case then I have a leak somewhere correct. If all my assumptions are right then it is time to switxh to the new stuff right.
Someone help me out