GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Finally Back at Lexus bye BMW

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-14, 03:44 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

You'll definitely get a good one here and there, just like any car company with a bad rep (BMW doesn't have a bad rep, but they're not known for being the most reliable cars on the road). Based off my experiences, I would never own one as a daily driver, but I'd still love to get an E39 M5 for the sunny days.
Old 04-02-14, 07:11 AM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
Ah, I see you got your GS from an Owie dealer as well, I did the same thing. Poor son of a gun who traded it in for one of those heaps is gonna be sorry. Nice upgrade, by the way BMW's are pretty, and fun to drive, but a nightmare to own...
I agree haha Thanks!!!
Old 04-02-14, 07:13 AM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
You'll definitely get a good one here and there, just like any car company with a bad rep (BMW doesn't have a bad rep, but they're not known for being the most reliable cars on the road). Based off my experiences, I would never own one as a daily driver, but I'd still love to get an E39 M5 for the sunny days.
Haha I totally agree! I would own one for a play car but not daily driving you are correct. It was a nightmare it was something everyday.
Old 04-02-14, 07:16 AM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Bavaria
Depends on the BMW (see my previous post). My four-year-old 328 manual transmission BMW has been virtually trouble-free since delivery. Can't say the same about my GS.
That could be the case! no car is perfect, i just didn't have a good run with the BMW no regrets for trading it in.
Old 04-02-14, 08:30 AM
Mr. Klean
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

No car is perfect is right, but I have plenty of friends, co workers and associates that drive beemers and they seem to end up at the shop more times than ANY Lexus, Toyota or Acura/Honda I have ever owned

as far as trading the BMW in...that makes two of us...don't get me started on the headaches of owning a beemer...smh. I would walk out and start the car thinking, "what's going to give up and break today on her..." From replacing each of the turbo's to constant overheating issues and down to the SIMPLEST parts of production- the ribber seals around the windows/sunroof- the damn car was more headache that what it was worth. Great to look at, fun to drive, but a nightmare to own is correct....

Congrats on the new whip man. I love mine. I only wished for a more aggressive stance and tighter suspension feel so I bought some BC coilovers and F sport sways. Problem solved.
Old 04-02-14, 01:07 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

When I researched BMW's prior to getting the 328, I initially considered the M3. After driving it, I knew I'd get in trouble. It's potential was so much greater than our laws would allow ("a man's gotta know his limitations").
I then considered the 335, however read so many negative observations from owners, primarily about failed fuel pumps and turbos, that I easily settled on the 328. Since I enjoy driving cross-country (twice so far, with a third trip coming up this summer), I wanted a car that wouldn't fail in the dark of night in the middle of Texas. It's warranty wouldn't be of much help then.
Ergo, the 328 with manual transmission (my third since '95). BTW, my wife and I will never be without our Lexuses - is that grammatically correct? - , but I can't at all fault my 328.
Old 04-02-14, 10:45 PM
Kalel250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never had a problem with my M3. Some people just abuse the **** out of cars then someone else buys it used and is inheriting a problem. I love Lexus but I also still love my Bimmer. Every car has it's bad apples. Just my two cents. The GS is a nice pick up!!
Old 04-03-14, 06:13 AM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Mr. Klean
No car is perfect is right, but I have plenty of friends, co workers and associates that drive beemers and they seem to end up at the shop more times than ANY Lexus, Toyota or Acura/Honda I have ever owned

as far as trading the BMW in...that makes two of us...don't get me started on the headaches of owning a beemer...smh. I would walk out and start the car thinking, "what's going to give up and break today on her..." From replacing each of the turbo's to constant overheating issues and down to the SIMPLEST parts of production- the ribber seals around the windows/sunroof- the damn car was more headache that what it was worth. Great to look at, fun to drive, but a nightmare to own is correct....

Congrats on the new whip man. I love mine. I only wished for a more aggressive stance and tighter suspension feel so I bought some BC coilovers and F sport sways. Problem solved.
Lol I was afraid to start the Bimmer sometimes just worried about what light might be on the dash. However I do wish the GS was more sporty and aggressive like the new 4th gen GS. Still like it thou. Nice mods on your GS btw.
Old 04-03-14, 06:15 AM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Kalel250
I've never had a problem with my M3. Some people just abuse the **** out of cars then someone else buys it used and is inheriting a problem. I love Lexus but I also still love my Bimmer. Every car has it's bad apples. Just my two cents. The GS is a nice pick up!!
Thanks!!....That could be true thou in regards to inheriting problems buying it used.
Old 04-03-14, 06:18 AM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

When I researched BMW's prior to getting the 328, I initially considered the M3. After driving it, I knew I'd get in trouble. It's potential was so much greater than our laws would allow ("a man's gotta know his limitations").
I then considered the 335, however read so many negative observations from owners, primarily about failed fuel pumps and turbos, that I easily settled on the 328. Since I enjoy driving cross-country (twice so far, with a third trip coming up this summer), I wanted a car that wouldn't fail in the dark of night in the middle of Texas. It's warranty wouldn't be of much help then.
Ergo, the 328 with manual transmission (my third since '95). BTW, my wife and I will never be without our Lexuses - is that grammatically correct? - , but I can't at all fault my 328.
LOL!!.. yes warranty wont mean much then. I can't be without my Lexus either they are great.
Old 04-03-14, 06:20 AM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

BMW holds you HOSTAGE to the dealership. Been there and never EVER again. Everything on that car is tied to the computer and they are very difficult to get proper work done outside of the dealer. You cant even change the damn battery on your own...nuff said. welcome home
Old 04-03-14, 08:22 AM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Asav
BMW holds you HOSTAGE to the dealership. Been there and never EVER again. Everything on that car is tied to the computer and they are very difficult to get proper work done outside of the dealer. You cant even change the damn battery on your own...nuff said. welcome home
Thanks Haha so True! Just glad to be back.
Old 04-03-14, 11:33 AM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Uh, Asav, have you never heard of 'indies'? Good ones do everything a dealer can, usually at much less cost.
Old 04-03-14, 12:04 PM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Uh, Asav, have you never heard of 'indies'? Good ones do everything a dealer can, usually at much less cost.

Agreed, but i think that depends on where you live and area competition.
I'm from NYC, no issue with indies there. I live in Delaware now = whole different story.

Either way, my point was more around: there are many items on BMWs that you have to be an expert or have access to specialized equipment to touch. I don't think Lexus/toyotas are set up like that, and I have owned a few in my time. I think the Japanese cars overall are much more reasonable when it comes to generally being able to do some of your own maintenance work at home.