GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

07 GS350 AWD Alignment Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-14, 08:33 AM
SVance23
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 GS350 AWD Alignment Issues

Hope everybody is doing well!! I have a weird problem with my alignment. I have had this car about a year and in April put my summer wheels on. I have a staggered set of rohana's 20x9 up front and 20x10.5 in the back. When I took the factory tires off I could see inner tire wear. I figured just needed new tires cause I don't feel any pulling or known alignment issues. After a few months I started getting a little wobble in my wheel and more road noise on the summer wheels. When I finally got it looked at just the passenger rear tire had inner wear. I took it to get aligned and the alignment shop said this thing is really good it was all in the green. They did do a little adjustment but nothing major. Showed me the print out and everything. I was wondering if anybody else has this issue. My car is not lowered at all. I've attached pictures. Thanks for your help. Any ideas will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails 07 GS350 AWD Alignment Issues-image.jpg  
Old 01-30-14, 09:26 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

It is normal for our cars to have inner tire wear, it's for performance reasons (hence why taking turns is so much sweeter in a GS than say, a Civic or true econo-car).

You're suppose to do tire rotation every 5000 miles. If you didn't go 5000 miles yet and this has happened, I would look next into your struts and see if the struts have gone bad..... FWIW, when my struts went bad my tires had chopping, not camber wear. This isn't my tire, obviously (Seems like an SUV tire), but you get the gist

Old 01-30-14, 10:09 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

I had the same exact issue with my AWD. The problem is the rear chamber, its not allowing the rear toe to properly adjust. If your alignment guy says it is fine, find a new alignment shop that uses a newer hunter alignment wreck. It took me 5 alignments to figure it out.

I ended up buying spc rear chamber bars and took it to a knowledgeable alignment guy who aligned it right. Not sure what the exact problem is it maybe a bad bushing or some kind of wear we couldnt find anything wrong with the rear. At first I thought it was shocks, so I replaced them and the issue never went away.
Old 01-30-14, 10:12 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Heres a link https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...uspension.html
The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (04-03-19)
Old 01-30-14, 11:24 AM
SVance23
Rookie

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
It is normal for our cars to have inner tire wear, it's for performance reasons (hence why taking turns is so much sweeter in a GS than say, a Civic or true econo-car).

You're suppose to do tire rotation every 5000 miles. If you didn't go 5000 miles yet and this has happened, I would look next into your struts and see if the struts have gone bad..... FWIW, when my struts went bad my tires had chopping, not camber wear. This isn't my tire, obviously (Seems like an SUV tire), but you get the gist

Since my wheels are staggered i cant do the every 5000 miles rotation. Unless im suppose to get them to pull the rim out of the tire and flip the tire. Is that what your speaking of? Cause the other 3 are fine its just the one. But i guess i will get it looked at for struts next. Never thought of that cause theres no bouncing or give there. Everything seems to be tight. No sounds or anything.
Old 01-30-14, 11:28 AM
SVance23
Rookie

Originally Posted by ibidu1
I had the same exact issue with my AWD. The problem is the rear chamber, its not allowing the rear toe to properly adjust. If your alignment guy says it is fine, find a new alignment shop that uses a newer hunter alignment wreck. It took me 5 alignments to figure it out.

I ended up buying spc rear chamber bars and took it to a knowledgeable alignment guy who aligned it right. Not sure what the exact problem is it maybe a bad bushing or some kind of wear we couldnt find anything wrong with the rear. At first I thought it was shocks, so I replaced them and the issue never went away.
You know now that you mention it, the guy was talking about his machine and how its really good but a few years old. So you think i need to go to a new spot that has a newer machine? And when you bought the new spc bars did it fix your problem? Or should i go to a better spot and just get it aligned right, before i buy the new camber bars? Im going to have to buy 2 new 275/30/20 tires cause of the one tire being bad so i dont want to have to keep buying tires every year. Want to get it fixed as soon as possible. Thanks for your help by the way fellas!!!
Old 01-30-14, 02:34 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SVance23
You know now that you mention it, the guy was talking about his machine and how its really good but a few years old. So you think i need to go to a new spot that has a newer machine? And when you bought the new spc bars did it fix your problem? Or should i go to a better spot and just get it aligned right, before i buy the new camber bars? Im going to have to buy 2 new 275/30/20 tires cause of the one tire being bad so i dont want to have to keep buying tires every year. Want to get it fixed as soon as possible. Thanks for your help by the way fellas!!!

Buy the SPC bars mount them and take the car to a new shop. SPC rear chamber bars I paid $186 and you can even take your car to a toyota dealer I think they charge $60 bucks. Me I purchased a alignment special with Tire Kingdom and they gave me free alignments. The shops with the older machines said my alignment was fine, when I took it to shops with newer hunter racks and knowledgeable techs they showed me how far it was off.

The problem is the rear toe is off. Our cars have rear toe adjustment but no chamber. When they set the toe the chamber goes out of spec.
Old 01-30-14, 06:08 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had these RFT tires for 3 years. I had them rotated every 5K miles. The first 2 years I didn't notice the inside wear pattern on the 4 tires until the late third year. During those three years I didn't have any alignment done because the car still drove straight.
Can't tell if the issue started from front and got rotated to the rear. That's why all 4 tires had the same pattern.

I have a Pilot Sport A/S+ for a year now. So far there is no abnormal inside wear pattern.
Maybe I should have the alignment once a year to avoid this wear pattern??
Btw, love those A/S+ tires in the snow. Not like crappy RFT.
Attached Thumbnails 07 GS350 AWD Alignment Issues-009.jpg