GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Problem with Nav Hack and now cruise control doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-13, 04:42 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Problem with Nav Hack and now cruise control doesn't work

The other day I tried to do the nav hack and dvd playback in motion. I read through the instructions multiple times and followed them correctly making sure to cut the right wires. At the end, the only thing that worked was the dvd playback. I even tried two different switches but no luck. Over the weekend I noticed that cruise control wasn't working. When I press the cruise control button you can see the icon in the dash but you can't "set" the speed.

So today I plugged everything back to how it was, but still the cruise control does not work. I think it has something to do with the VSS. I did search, but I only found one other guy that had the same problem but it was never posted if he solved it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...need-help.html

I checked all the fuses under the hood and under the dash but they are all okay. Does anyone know how to reset the VSS or where the fuse for it may be? I'm going to try unplugging the battery and seeing if that does anything. Any other suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-31-13, 11:10 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

You have, I believe, two sets of fuses in the front, one set under your dashboard passenger side (maybe driver side also???), and most definitely you have a fuse box in your trunk, left side pocket under the lid.

Hmm.... I am at a stump also.... GL GS F!
Old 10-31-13, 12:06 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

What do you mean by this ?
So today I plugged everything back to how it was,

reconnected everything ?

A clue to the issue will be how the nav behaves.....when you start the car and are on the nav screen, just after starting the car - put the nav in the destination screen where you are inputing address, and you accelerate from a stop, the buttons should immediately grey out. if not, you have not connected things back yet. Also the nav screen will not show the car as moving smoothly and the red pointer will lookto jump rather than scroll. lastly, if you can input the destination and start driving, the car will say, nav will start once you get on the path directed (or something like that ) and it does not start to nav, you have not connected the VSS properly.
Old 10-31-13, 08:48 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
What do you mean by this ?
So today I plugged everything back to how it was,
Pretty much I just wired it back to stock. I made sure to plug it back exactly like it was before messing with it.

When I start the car and immediately start to move, the DEST screen greys out as soon as the car moves.

Yes, the NAV is a bit choppy.

And lastly, the navigation never really starts like you say. It just says to move to the highlighted route but doesn't give further directions.

I am going to triple check that the VSS wire is connected 100% (I crimped and taped instead of soldering). But I could have sworn it was on there right. I hope this is the problem!

Thanks for the reply

And thanks to you too Gokou.

I will keep everyone informed as soon as I find the cause of the problem.
Old 11-16-13, 03:45 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

So today I had a chance to take my navigation off again and take a multimeter to it. I found these instructions off one of the driver.lexus.com manuals.

The standard resistance on both test was out of spec. The first test connection always had over 1 Ohm and the second test didn't have any Ohms at all.

So what I think this means is that the VSS coming out the instrument cluster is sending a signal, but somewhere along the line it loses the signal and doesn't make it to the Navi (the wire coming out the instrument cluster is light green and the VSS going into the navi is purple so somewhere it changes color.)

So this is what I'm thinking of doing but wanted some opinions just in case this might mess something up. I think I should wire a bridge from the instrument cluster VSS wire (K31) to the navi VSS wire (K46).

Any opinions or other ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Problem with Nav Hack and now cruise control doesn't work-screen-shot-2013-11-16-at-5.24.00-pm.png   Problem with Nav Hack and now cruise control doesn't work-screen-shot-2013-11-16-at-5.31.52-pm-copy.png  
Old 12-04-13, 04:30 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I would solder the connection back before jumping them