GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The introduction...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-13, 12:32 PM
LexToy3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The introduction...

Well, I have been searching and exploring these forums for a good long while and have had the mystical search button answer so many questions and create ten times as many new ones. I have enjoyed watching builds and debating so many part outs. I am currently in a 2006 GS AWD and have owned a 2nd Gen GS as well. I am not new to modding but ready to get started as far as my Lexus goes.

I am currently stationed in Germany and serve as a Flight Medic in Landstuhl Regional Medical Center. Have been here since August of last year and definitely conflicted about it. I HATE the cold and it has been very cold here recently. 75degrees yesterday, 55 today with rain and supposed to snow again on Sunday. When it is warm, sunny and nice boy is it great but when it sucks it really does.

I have been debating starting with a different platform other than the redheaded GS of the bunch but have decided that just because it will be more difficult I will make it work. As I stated before I am in an AWD 06 GS, so Gen4 GPS making a conversion a requirement for the VAIS system, awd so shakes and shudders as soon as I lower it are a high possibility. The biggest influence for this decision is seeing Rollaboy's build and after living here really beginning to appreciate how difficult it is for guys like him and he is still able to build a bad*** ride. 30% tax every time you turn around becomes painful quickly.

I will be going out and taking some pictures tomorrow morning and posting them of my GS, I have started piecing together what I want to do to the car and hoping that I am able to get the ball rolling. IT is currently sitting on Axis Option 20x8.5 245/30zr20 and 20x9.5 275/30zr20 (I believe +20 offset for both front and back). Just picked up all weather floor mats and trying to get started on a brake upgrade from 350/430/460 GS's. Traveling down the Autobahn at 100+mph has made stopping a greater priority than most other things at this point.

I have definitely enjoyed this forum so far and know that it will be even better now that I am getting more involved with it.
Attached Thumbnails The introduction...-ds-crop.jpg   The introduction...-psr.jpg   The introduction...-tag.jpg  

Last edited by LexToy3; 05-06-13 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-27-13, 12:45 AM
MX5
Pole Position

Whoah 30% TAX?!?

That sucks bigtime - major damper to the fun.

Anyway welcome and do post pics!
Old 04-28-13, 02:50 PM
LexToy3
Driver

Will add some more details and pictures later. Want to show the starting point of the car to include its blemishes. Thanks for the welcome, funny enough I actually purchased the car in St Louis from Plaza. Don't remember the first name but his last name was Holt, awesome salesman went to bat for me on several different things without me even asking. Anyways... here are the pictures from when I brought her home.
Attached Thumbnails The introduction...-bn.jpg   The introduction...-nb.jpg  

Last edited by LexToy3; 05-06-13 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-03-13, 09:39 AM
LexToy3
Driver

The small things...

Cut down the shifter today, trying to take it easy(just got home from surgery). It's amazing how the small things make a big difference, really like how it looks. Also have GS430 calipers in the mail and will be ordering the rest of the pieces to upgrade the front brakes here soon.

Before & After:
Attached Thumbnails The introduction...-dsc00249-copy.jpg   The introduction...-dsc00252-copy.jpg  

Last edited by LexToy3; 06-15-13 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-04-13, 10:15 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexToy3
I am currently stationed in Germany and serve as a Flight Medic in Landstuhl Regional Medical Center. Have been here since August of last year and definitely conflicted about it. I HATE the cold and it has been very cold here recently. 75degrees yesterday, 55 today with rain and supposed to snow again on Sunday. When it is warm, sunny and nice boy is it great but when it sucks it really does.

I have been debating starting with a different platform other than the redheaded GS of the bunch but have decided that just because it will be more difficult I will make it work. As I stated before I am in an AWD 06 GS, so Gen4 GPS making a conversion a requirement for the VAIS system, awd so shakes and shudders as soon as I lower it are a high possibility. The biggest influence for this decision is seeing Rollaboy's build and after living here really beginning to appreciate how difficult it is for guys like him and he is still able to build a bad*** ride. 30% tax every time you turn around becomes painful quickly.
Hey buddy...

I am also from Florida and working in Germany. And I also have a 2006 GS AWD that I brought over here from the states. I guess we have a lot of similarities. I'm in Stuttgart, not too far from you.

If your navigation isn't working (which I'm sure it isn't), I know how you can get it working for like 70 euros. And it's so simple too! You don't need to buy any equipment or convert anything. Was a lifesaver for me.

I've learned to love everything about Germany. I've been here on and off for almost eight years though.

I've got a brand new set of BC racing coilovers sitting in my cellar that I haven't installed yet because I don't want vibrations/wobble. I think putting on 30mm RCA blocks, then putting on the coilovers might just be the solution. That way, you aren't lowering it that much using the coilovers. I've got a new toy (convertible) for the summer, so the GS is kind of my chill car now.

Last edited by jre002; 05-04-13 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-04-13, 01:42 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 794 Likes on 687 Posts

Even with RCA's AWD will vibrate, I have 1/2" RCA and I get the vibes at idle.
Old 05-06-13, 10:29 PM
LexToy3
Driver

I keep seeing that the vibration on the AWD is hit or miss, hope to take that chance here soon. Coilovers is the route that I look to go proceed with, just dont thing springs will give me the drop that I want.

Originally Posted by jre002
Hey buddy...

If your navigation isn't working (which I'm sure it isn't), I know how you can get it working for like 70 euros. And it's so simple too! You don't need to buy any equipment or convert anything. Was a lifesaver for me.
What did you have to do to get your Nav to work? I have been researching just upgrading to the Gen 5 and running the Vaistech Unit.

Last edited by LexToy3; 05-06-13 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-07-13, 05:09 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

I keep seeing that the vibration on the AWD is hit or miss, hope to take that chance here soon. Coilovers is the route that I look to go proceed with, just dont thing springs will give me the drop that I want.

What did you have to do to get your Nav to work? I have been researching just upgrading to the Gen 5 and running the Vaistech Unit.
Please don't waste your money, time or effort upgrading your hardware and buying any peripheral gear. All it needs are these two DVDs. One is the map disc and the other is the language disk. Takes 2 minutes to install and works perfectly here in Europe. I think I paid 90 Euros. So simple. I looked at every option and this was such an elegant solution. PM me if you want the contact info for the seller. I had the discs in a couple of days after I ordered.
Old 05-09-13, 06:36 PM
MX5
Pole Position

funny enough I actually purchased the car in St Louis from Plaza.
Wow it really is a small world. Mine was a 1 owner trade in at Lexus of St. Louis on Manchester Rd.

Thanks for posting the pics with the rims, it helps me visualize larger wheels on basically my car - stock height, same color. I love the wheels but that front gap kills me....wonder how goofy it would be to just put Eibachs on the front.....I'm fine with where the back sits.
Old 05-09-13, 08:22 PM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Even with RCA's AWD will vibrate, I have 1/2" RCA and I get the vibes at idle.

This is definitely hit or miss then because my 06 AWD does not vibrate and I am running RCA blocks in the front
Old 05-09-13, 11:09 PM
LexToy3
Driver

Originally Posted by Asav
This is definitely hit or miss then because my 06 AWD does not vibrate and I am running RCA blocks in the front
Just adding the wheels has created a vibration that comes and goes. I ordered another set of hub rings to see if that helps. Again, really want to make sure I buy the correct items the first time so I am not throwing money away.

Originally Posted by MX5
Wow it really is a small world. Mine was a 1 owner trade in at Lexus of St. Louis on Manchester Rd.

Thanks for posting the pics with the rims, it helps me visualize larger wheels on basically my car - stock height, same color. I love the wheels but that front gap kills me....wonder how goofy it would be to just put Eibachs on the front.....I'm fine with where the back sits.
The gap is horrible, really looking forward to lowering the car some but it is on hold for a little while. Having to battle with the insurance company for a fender repair at the moment and might be paying out of pocket and then hoping for reimbursement. I dont thing lowering just the front would work well, I am certain it would not look that great. Also if you are purchasing sprins you would get all four why not use them. That and the headaches you would encounter with other things too.
Old 05-18-13, 02:09 AM
LexToy3
Driver

:: Update ::

So, I have ordered Front and Rear rotors from adamsrotors.com

Front GS430- Double Slotted, Black hats, black zinc coating
Rear GS300- Double Slotted, Black hats, black zinc coating

Should look like this: Plus black zinc
Stoptech Street Pads:

Still debating the lines... lines on the car look good at the moment so not sure I see reason to replace.
Attached Thumbnails The introduction...-zinc.jpg   The introduction...-pads-stoptech.png  
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-13, 07:45 AM
LexToy3
Driver

:: New Arrivals ::

Received calipers in the mail and was able to drive out and pick up BC coils from another member (Thanks jre002)

Once the rotors and other items come in will be able to install. Debating the color of the calipers, I think I like the silver would add a black Lexus L to the center though.
Attached Thumbnails The introduction...-dsc00257.jpg   The introduction...-dsc00255.jpg   The introduction...-dsc00254.jpg  
Old 05-29-13, 08:00 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure you follow the break-in procedure with the StopTech Street pads!!! You will eat through your rotors stupid fast if you dont!
I have them on my GS, and have had zero issues since the break-in procedure.

No need for the SS lines on our cars... we have Kevlar reinforced lines from the factory.

Enjoying the build! Sieht mir gut aus!
Old 05-29-13, 12:56 PM
LexToy3
Driver

Originally Posted by Simmsled
Make sure you follow the break-in procedure with the StopTech Street pads!!! You will eat through your rotors stupid fast if you dont!
I have them on my GS, and have had zero issues since the break-in procedure.

No need for the SS lines on our cars... we have Kevlar reinforced lines from the factory.

Enjoying the build! Sieht mir gut aus!
Ich danke Ihnen sehr. Will do. There is a nice stretch of road near my village that will be perfect for the break in. Really looking forward to the brake upgrade. It really sucks going down the Autobahn at 120mph and someone "only" doing 80mph pulls out in front of you.

Last edited by LexToy3; 06-03-13 at 11:52 PM.

Quick Reply: The introduction...