GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Please help! Check system warning light?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-12, 09:12 PM
pakattack
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help! Check system warning light?!?!

Hey Guys,

I have a 2006 Lexus GS430 (non run flat tires)

The other week the following lights came on:
Left Odometer: Flashing yellow colored asterick (Master Warning Light)
Center Odometer: 'Check System Warning Message
Right Odometer Red Triangle Asterick Light (Low tire Pressure Warning Light)

I read the owners manual and it says that the 'Check System"' means there is a problem electrically in the tire pressure warning system, and that "although it is no problem to cointure driving with the above message I should take my car to the Lexus Dealer as soon as possible." Does anyone know how to fix this/ reset this? I really can't afford taking the car to the dealership right now?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 08-22-12, 11:27 PM
tsingh23
Driver School Candidate

i got the same problem a week ago, my buddy told me it might be that the battery from one of the tire pressure monitoring systems has died. You would have to have each tire taken off and the batteries checked from what he told me , but i havent gotten around to it yet . let me know if you find a fix
Old 08-23-12, 03:32 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Obvious solution first, have you checked the tyre pressures and inflated them?
Whilst driving the car home on the day it was picked up, I got a tyre system warning.
Drove on a few more miles to the next service station, and inflated the tyres.
Message gone, but code logged in the ECU, which has since been cleared.
Old 08-23-12, 08:08 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you check to see if somebody accidentally kicked the TPMS switch under the glovebox? It might be set to the 2nd set which isn't on the car.

Other possibility is a sensor battery died or sensor is broken in which case it needs to be replaced and re-registered into the ECU by Toyota/Lexus.
Old 08-23-12, 09:12 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

u guy sure there is battery in the TPMS? I thought the movement of the wheel charges it.

1st I would check is the tire pressure.
Old 08-23-12, 09:28 AM
tsingh23
Driver School Candidate

yea had same problem checked all tires which were sitting at 33psi, but the message has not left. Buddy said it would be a tpms battery problem but no idea personally. If anyone has an idea how much t might cost to replace battery and re-register system it would be great if you could post it here !
Old 08-23-12, 09:45 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have a Discount Tire in your area they can check each point to make sure its working. The dealer has to remove them to check if they are all working. If they pass at the Discount Tire you can rule this out or see what sensor needs to be replaced and order one on line or find a used one in the classifieds. Still no aftermarket TPMS that works that I am aware of.

This is where I would start then you can see the dealer if this isnt the issue.
Old 08-23-12, 10:38 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

The battery is not user replaceable... I'm sure with some careful prying and resoldering MAYBE somebody could manage to do it but personally I'd just replace the whole thing and avoid having to unmount the tire all over again when the DIY fix fails or something else in the sensor dies from old age anyway.

Toyota would probably charge something like half hour of labor to re-register or whatever their minimum billing is. Could probably get them to throw it in just as a free extra if the car is in for some other regular service already.
Old 08-23-12, 10:41 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by worker
u guy sure there is battery in the TPMS? I thought the movement of the wheel charges it.

1st I would check is the tire pressure.
Yes there is a battery and even if it were charged by the movement of the car (which it isn't) there would still be a battery in there that would be receiving the charge and rechargeable batteries also die with age. That being said, it isn't a rechargeable battery but the sensors use little power so the battery is supposed to last a good 7 years or so at least.
Old 08-23-12, 02:02 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
The battery is not user replaceable... I'm sure with some careful prying and resoldering MAYBE somebody could manage ....
I did a google image search "tpms battery" and came back with some interesting pictures. Look like all of them have the battery permanently in there.

Isn't the mandate for TPMS is so people inflate their tires properly so they won't waste so much gas? Which in turn GOING GREEN? But all these TPMS are made to be trash once their battery die.

Yes there is a battery and even if it were charged by the movement of the car (which it isn't) there would still be a battery in there that would be receiving the charge and rechargeable batteries also die with age. That being said, it isn't a rechargeable battery but the sensors use little power so the battery is supposed to last a good 7 years or so at least.
If it's rechargeable than a better way is use capacitor. Capacitor last much longer than rechargeable battery. With the way this work, that capacitor would last forever.
Old 08-24-12, 11:14 AM
pakattack
Driver School Candidate

Default TPMS Switch?

Did you check to see if somebody accidentally kicked the TPMS switch under the glovebox? It might be set to the 2nd set which isn't on the car.

Other possibility is a sensor battery died or sensor is broken in which case it needs to be replaced and re-registered into the ECU by Toyota/Lexus.
Where is this switch you talk about? I took a quick look and did not see a switch? Tire pressure is correct so i am hoping that is the issue?

Thanks,
Old 08-28-12, 08:34 PM
pakattack
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys,

update, I found the TPMS switch under the glove box and it was flipped to the second set of tires mode, then i set it back to the default and it has been fine.

Thanks for all your help, greatly appreciated! You guys saved me a expensive trip to the dealer for nothing.
Old 10-21-12, 04:33 PM
longroute
Driver School Candidate

The switch fixed this error for me. Saves a trip tithe dealership, thanks!
Old 11-26-12, 10:24 AM
ncgirl05
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by longroute
The switch fixed this error for me. Saves a trip tithe dealership, thanks!
Can someone tell me where this switch is located specifically or post a pic so I know what I'm looking for? Must be the season for TPMS issues.....
Old 11-26-12, 10:53 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Under the steering column, you'll need to be outside looking with your head in the footwell to see it.
Or use a mirror.

Quick Reply: Please help! Check system warning light?!?!