GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Anyone swap Sirius for XM receiver or vice versa?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-10, 02:49 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone swap Sirius for XM receiver or vice versa?

My new 2007 GS450h with Mark Levinson and Shark Fin has a Sirius satellite receiver installed. I don't know why, but it is not using the Shart Fin for the antenna. Is it because Shark Fin is only compatible with XM receiver?

My main question is this: can I buy just the XM receiver without the "fit kit" and swap the Sirius receiver out? If I do that, can I use the trunk-mounted mouse antenna used by the Sirius receiver?

Any advise or tips on this matter would be appreciated.

P.S. I don't want to get Sirius service because I already have another XM radio, and want to take advantage of discounted service.

Thank you.
Old 01-01-10, 04:18 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The shark find is for the XM only. Not sure what the reasons are behind this but it should be an easy swap for you. The car is pre-wired so all you should need is the receiver and the wire harness. Its all accessible from the trunk to install.

Its possible you have have to remove the head unit to plug in the XM antenna wire, assuming it wasnt used for the Sirius.

Either way this should be an easy DIY weekend project.

I helped a member install Sirius in a 08 GS350. We used the Vias unit to install his.
Old 01-01-10, 06:45 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by passnu2
I helped a member install Sirius in a 08 GS350. We used the Vias unit to install his.
That's one of the things that puzzles me. My new car does have a VIAS unit in it, and I'm wondering if it's the one that's specifically designed to provide both the iPod and Sirius radio integration. The reason I'm puzzled is that I thought you could integrate Sirius into 2007 GS without the help of any additional 3rd party hardware, just like you could with XM radio. Is that not right?

Or is it the case that in order to have both the Sirius and iPod integration, you need the VAIS unit? Or is that VAIS unit designed specifically for non-Lexus Sirius receivers?

Please, help me shed some light on this. Thank you.
Old 01-01-10, 08:04 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The sirius reciever you have is using the mouse antenna which is an aftermarket antenna. When you take out the sirius unit and install the XM unit, it should be plug and play since the car is pre-wired to use XM with the shark-fin antenna.

If you want to have simultaneous use of XM and an iPod kit then you will need to use the Vaistech XM kit. The Lexus XM kit forces you to choose between ipod and XM but doesn't allow both to co-exist.
Old 01-01-10, 11:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Modeler
That's one of the things that puzzles me. My new car does have a VIAS unit in it, and I'm wondering if it's the one that's specifically designed to provide both the iPod and Sirius radio integration. The reason I'm puzzled is that I thought you could integrate Sirius into 2007 GS without the help of any additional 3rd party hardware, just like you could with XM radio. Is that not right?

Or is it the case that in order to have both the Sirius and iPod integration, you need the VAIS unit? Or is that VAIS unit designed specifically for non-Lexus Sirius receivers?

Please, help me shed some light on this. Thank you.
vaistech doesn't have one single unit that does both ipod and sirius/xm. you can however have two units from vaistech, one for xm and one for sirius

gs from factory is only setup for xm i believe, at least the shark fin antenna i believe it's only for xm. to install sirius, i think they have new kits that does sirius, but i think maybe you need an external antenna?

if you want sat radio (either xm or sirius), then your ipod has to be vaistech. toyota factory ipod integration will "take over" the sat radio slot
Old 01-02-10, 06:58 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ Yes that is correct its 2 units for the Sirius.

If this is how this is installed in your car then the OEM XM antenna wire will be unplugged in the back of your unit. Since you have to remove to take out the Sirius integration you can plug this back in. Its very easy to do.

Once you have that completed the rest is all in your trunk. Its possible your car may have the XM receiver already. Its mounted upside down in your trunk on the passenger side. If not the AMP, Antenna wire from the Shark Fin, is all right there on the passenger side. You dont have to remove all of the panels to complete this. I have helped a few and you can access with out taking out the whole trunk. The instructions are posted on Sewells site so you can review.

How much of a difference is there between Sirius/XM now? If your changing just for the discount I would call them since its all one place now and tell them you will kill the service and convert or they can apply the discount as you have both cars on your account. I would try this first if you like the channel line up and save yourself the time/money.
Old 01-02-10, 07:53 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you all for your help.