GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Owners with BBK ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-09, 05:42 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Owners with BBK ???

What are you doing for a spare tire or does it fit/work on the 3gen GS models? All the 2IS guys that went to the FSport BBK or aftermarket cant use the spare tire now and one member posted that the dealer gave him run flats for free I don't want run flats on my new rims so has anyone test fitted this or come up with a solution with out keeping an OEM rim in the trunk. What about a spacer with the spare tire to push it out. Really it should only be the fronts that would need it if anything
Old 04-29-09, 06:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

ok, there are two issues with bbk and spare wheels that you need to be clear.

with bbk, there are two aspect for a wheel to fit
1) the spokes clearing the calipers from a depth perspective
2) the wheel being large enough to clear the rotor/ caliper from a circumference perspective

you have the gs430 so it came with big brakes stock already. your stock wheels are already high disk and can clear calipers in terms of depth. the stock calipers are actually larger than quite a few aftermarket bbk calipers out there. so if that's the case, you do not need any spacers to clear. and in the case the spokes are really hitting, then yes, spacers will help

on the other hand, the overall diameter is a much bigger problem to look out for. most of the bbk out there are 14" rotors or larger these days. in order to clear that, you need 18" wheel. this is general idea. a lot of times rotors are 14.2" or maybe a tad bigger, and also depending on the caliper design, the stock 18" might NOT fit over. if that's the case, then it's a completely failure, there is nothing you can do.

case in point is the 2is 18" wheel. it actually clears the isf (brembo) calipers with a much larger margin than the stock caliper. HOWEVER, since the stock is-f rotors are 14.2" i believe, the 2is 18" wheel does NOT clear the circumference, the calipers hit the wheel barrel.

but some people are able to find aftermarket 18" wheel where the barrel design clears the isf brakes. so you can see how tough the clearance can get.

on my gs400 (ap racing) and sc430 (stoptech), i simply got the g35 18" wheel (clear the g35 brembo) as spare and that wheel clears all those brakes.

on my gs350 now, i actually have the stock donut, didn't think much about spare. but if anything, i would probably get the 19" g35 wheel and that's probably a good candidate. i might also try to fit the stock 18" on my project u and see how it fits. my rotors are 14" so there is a good chance.

i hope this helps
Old 04-29-09, 06:38 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks!

So you havent tried your spare. I will test fit it this weekend if we install mine. I just need to make sure the rims I have borrowed will clear them. If so I will install this weekend and report back.
Old 04-29-09, 07:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

do post back, i have just been so lazy to try. soon i might be raising my car a little bit, maybe i will check it then. if you try, can you try both the donut spare and also the factory 18"? that would be great reference point

is your bbk 14" rotor?
Old 04-29-09, 08:16 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ I will try the OEM 18" and also the Spare to see. I do have the road side but I dont want them to tow my car unless it has to be I never would have thought about the spare until I saw the thread in the 2IS section. I also would have thought the IS350 BBK being similar to the FSport where it would work but they are saying it wont and they also tried a spacer and it wont work?? Some are trying the ISF as I guess its different and also the tire is a different size. Not sure I have always leased my cars and only done rotor swaps so this is all new to me.

I hope to install the BBK on Sunday if a member is around to help and the weather holds up. If so I will post up a full thread with pics and test the OEM rims along with the bright colored spare!!!
Old 04-29-09, 09:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yeah if it's the circumference problem, spacers won't help at all. is-f wheels are 19" so they will clear circumference with flying colors, and the spokes will likely clear as well. but those bbs wheels will probably set back a big price tag for "spare", hehe...

keep in mind though, no matter what wheel you use as spare, as long as they are not donuts, they won't fit in the spare wheel space. i am ok coz' i'd just take it on long trips, but something to keep in mind
Old 04-30-09, 04:57 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I guess we where not on the same page I meant that lovely donut spare. If it doesn't fit then I have 2 GSpyders with no tires on them I will throw a cheap used tire on one and keep it in the trunk if I need to I will take the donut out and let it sit as much as it can in there so I dont take up too much trunk space. I am hoping the don't will fit. And what the IS guys are using is the ISF donut not the rims from that car. Hope this makes better sense as to what I was asking about. I wouldn't purchase the ISF rims for my car...Maybe the donut if I knew it worked and wasn't too expensive.
Old 04-30-09, 08:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ah ic, isf donuts, that makes sense. i thought you were talking about the isf bbs wheels

make sure you check on the donut space size. i don't know if the donut on the gs/is have smaller diameter than stock wheels. if so, you need to get tire accordingly