GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

traction

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-08, 01:59 PM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default traction

i am curious to know if it is alright to drive with the traction off all the time. the reason why is because i feel vibration when the traction is on, so every time i get in to my car i hold the traction down for a few sec so both lights go on and the ride is smooth with no vibration. i am also waiting to change my front hub centric rings from aluminum to plastic cause of a noise when i break my steering for some reason. i don't know if i am getting a vibration because of the rings or because of the traction being active?? if anyone might have an idea why please let me know thanks..
Old 09-12-08, 06:50 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's alright to drive with the light on all the time. Just a safety feature.
Old 09-12-08, 07:27 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

i'm curious to find out also.. is this anything to do with his car being AWD with lowering springs?

*gs350on22s* didn't you just get the new wheels and springs installed without any issues? when did this happen?

i'm gettin paranoid about all these posts.. i just got the tein s-tech springs, wheels are on the way too..
Old 09-12-08, 11:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I dont think that the traction control should induce any vibration at all. I think it may be the hub rings if anything. I have this extremely smaall vibration in the car at 78-81 mph and I can have the tires balanced and the car aligned and its still there. I am going in to the local shop this week to have the hub rings replaced.
Old 09-13-08, 09:42 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350on22s
i am curious to know if it is alright to drive with the traction off all the time. the reason why is because i feel vibration when the traction is on, so every time i get in to my car i hold the traction down for a few sec so both lights go on and the ride is smooth with no vibration. i am also waiting to change my front hub centric rings from aluminum to plastic cause of a noise when i break my steering for some reason. i don't know if i am getting a vibration because of the rings or because of the traction being active?? if anyone might have an idea why please let me know thanks..
You mentioned in a previous thread that your ride was smooth after you installed hub rings? Is your vibration more significant at highway speeds (60-80mph)?
Old 09-13-08, 09:46 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stvincent
i'm curious to find out also.. is this anything to do with his car being AWD with lowering springs?

*gs350on22s* didn't you just get the new wheels and springs installed without any issues? when did this happen?

i'm gettin paranoid about all these posts.. i just got the tein s-tech springs, wheels are on the way too..
The vibration has nothing to do with suspension modifications (replacing coil springs). My car is lowered and rolling on the stock wheels and it's as smooth as an old school Caddy. The vibration issues are due to the aftermarket wheels/tires not being balanced properly balanced, wheel/tire runout, or concentricity, etc.

What size wheels did you buy?
Old 09-13-08, 09:52 AM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there will be a slight vibration with the traction on. when i put traction off there is no vibration on highway or anything. i think its my hub rings.
Old 09-13-08, 10:01 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gs350on22s
there will be a slight vibration with the traction on. when i put traction off there is no vibration on highway or anything. i think its my hub rings.
I think it's all in your head. Your vibration is probably always there. The level of vibration may change depending on your tire pressure(s), wheel/tire balancing, alignment, ambient temperature, road temperature, speed, acceleration, road conditions/quality, the amount of weight distribution in your car, etc.

I believe the traction control is just a sensor hooked up to a computer that calculates significant wheel overspin from fishtailing, hydroplaning, or ice. Once the computer detects overspin the system activates the ABS and re-distributes power along the driveline to compensate.
Old 09-13-08, 04:56 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by nardeezy
The vibration has nothing to do with suspension modifications (replacing coil springs). My car is lowered and rolling on the stock wheels and it's as smooth as an old school Caddy. The vibration issues are due to the aftermarket wheels/tires not being balanced properly balanced, wheel/tire runout, or concentricity, etc.

What size wheels did you buy?
thx, hopefully i won't have any issues.. i went 20x8.5 all around.