GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Trim, dash, or A-pillar removal necessary for Valentine One hardwire?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-05, 01:06 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trim, dash, or A-pillar removal necessary for Valentine One hardwire?

Just curious as to whether any of the above would be necessary to remove when hardwiring the V1? Is it possible to just tuck the wire in the headliner and A-pillar? I just received the unit this weekend and plan to mount the main unit up by the rearview mirror while putting the remote unit in the corner of the windshield right under the inspection sticker. I'm planning to tap power from the cigarette lighter. I have no clue how to remove the A-pillar or take apart the dash.
Old 12-14-05, 01:10 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Sgt,

There are two ways on the 2GS to hardwire a V1... first is the way you're describing here and snaking the cord down the dash trim, etc to a fuse.

The second (and my preferred method) is to tap directly into a switch wire in mirror assembly. I'm fairly certain something similar can be done on the 3GS, makes for a much cleaner install with no wiring snaking around all over the place.

One sec and I'll find you a link

Method 1 (with link to method two in my post #2)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=120585

Cleaner, I think.

PLEASE TAKE PICTURES if you or an installer does this so we can add to the knowledgebase for the 3GS!

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-14-05 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-14-05, 02:00 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you dont have to remove a thing...push the hard wire into the gap along the headliner and then down the A pillar...it's pretty simple actually. hardest part was locating an IGN ON fuse port to tap into.
Old 12-14-05, 02:26 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Thanks guys, I'm going to have my friend come over and help me with this installation. I'll try to take pics during the process.
Old 12-14-05, 04:22 PM
kb2yza
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tucking the wire under the trim is the best route... rember there is an airbag under the A pillar if you try to remove it (though i would deff not recomend it) disconnect your neg battery connection and wiat at least 90 seconds before starting work. There is a back up system that keeps airbags powered 90 sec after ign is off. Also keep in mind you will loose all memories so make a note of what they are set at.

--Pete
Old 12-15-05, 01:45 PM
Kerr
Driver

so while we are talking about valentines......... am i the only one that still has a drivers liscens because of the wonderful box
Old 12-15-05, 01:47 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kb2yza
Tucking the wire under the trim is the best route... rember there is an airbag under the A pillar if you try to remove it (though i would deff not recomend it) disconnect your neg battery connection and wiat at least 90 seconds before starting work. There is a back up system that keeps airbags powered 90 sec after ign is off. Also keep in mind you will loose all memories so make a note of what they are set at.

--Pete
Good point, Pete. I guess tucking would be the best route.
Old 12-15-05, 01:57 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Sgt - why not tap the mirror? Much less mess, no risk with airbag, no wire tucking.

Only downside is you'd be the first 3GS to do it
Old 12-15-05, 02:01 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Sgt - why not tap the mirror? Much less mess, no risk with airbag, no wire tucking.

Only downside is you'd be the first 3GS to do it
Haha, I don't want to be the guinea pig! Although it does seem to be cleaner. Also, wouldn't I still have to tuck down the A-pillar for the remote display?
Old 12-15-05, 03:18 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Allow me to chime in. If you're using the remote display, you have to route the Valentine's cord under the headliner and down the a-pillar because you have to hide the direct-power adapter under the dash. You'll also have to plug the remote display into the adapter. As kb and foo said, just push the cable under the headliner and the a-pillar cover with a credit card. You don't have to remove anything.

Dave suggested hard-wiring to your mirror because you never mentioned that you'd be attaching the remote display. Otherwise, his would be the neatest install.

Oh, and in the spirit of full disclosure, I installed Valentine 1s and remote displays in my 2GS and Honda minivan. Cable routing was exactly the same in both--push the cable under the headliner and a-pillar covers. Your 3GS should be the same. Good luck and happy speeding.
Old 12-15-05, 03:25 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by JellyBean
Dave suggested hard-wiring to your mirror because you never mentioned that you'd be attaching the remote display. Otherwise, his would be the neatest install.
Yep, it didn't sink in from your initial post when you talked about remote unit that you were doing the little remote display device. Makes more sense to snake it down because of that.

Now I'm gonna have to find somebody else to do it the easy way and document it
Old 12-15-05, 04:07 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

why install the remote if you have the main unit up there under the mirror at eye level?
Old 12-15-05, 05:43 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JellyBean
Allow me to chime in. If you're using the remote display, you have to route the Valentine's cord under the headliner and down the a-pillar because you have to hide the direct-power adapter under the dash. You'll also have to plug the remote display into the adapter. As kb and foo said, just push the cable under the headliner and the a-pillar cover with a credit card. You don't have to remove anything.

Oh, and in the spirit of full disclosure, I installed Valentine 1s and remote displays in my 2GS and Honda minivan. Cable routing was exactly the same in both--push the cable under the headliner and a-pillar covers. Your 3GS should be the same. Good luck and happy speeding.
Sounds good, where would you recommend I tap the power from? I'm still unsure as to which would be the most convenient place to do so.
Old 12-15-05, 05:44 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ex996
why install the remote if you have the main unit up there under the mirror at eye level?
The point of the remote unit is so that you can turn off the main unit so others won't crowd around you and follow you.
Old 12-15-05, 08:18 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SGT
Sounds good, where would you recommend I tap the power from? I'm still unsure as to which would be the most convenient place to do so.
You got me there. On my 2GS, I removed the ashtray console and tapped the lighter's lead. I then fished the new power wire to the adapter that I mounted by the driver's feet, over the pedals. I didn't feel like messing with the fuse block. How hard is to tap the lighter on the 3GS?

Quick Reply: Trim, dash, or A-pillar removal necessary for Valentine One hardwire?