GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS300 ML music questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-05, 03:23 PM
jimoberst
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS300 ML music questions

I just took delivery of a 2006 GS300 with nav and ml system.

I'm not an audio expert, so I don't know too much about this stuff...

My car came with a few radio stations preset with text in the box on the screen in addition to the frequency. How did it get there? Can I put it in, or does it come directly from some fm stations?

When playing CDs, if I push the title button a box comes up with a space for disc and track names, but there's never anything in them. Is this a problem with my system, or is something special needed for these to fill in? (My PC has no trouble telling me disc and track titles.)

What sort of discs do I need to buy to try out this surround sound stuff? Most music stores don't carry anything like this. Best Buy had a few, but they had some different names... some said dvd-audio, but others had some other 4-letter acronym (I forget what it was - I think they had a Sony label). Are they all compatible with the ml system? Where is a good place to buy these, with a reasonable selection?

I have convinced myself that the ml system is not smart enough to play cds with mp3s on them. Amazing, and frustrating! Anyway, is there a way to record cd music "straight" onto dvds, thereby getting more than an hour's worth on one disc that the ml will play? How would I do that... ie, what programs could I use to burn such a dvd? (I'm just using itunes right now for creating cds.) Is there anything I need to know about, like you can't watch a dvd menu while you're moving, etc.?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jim Oberst
Old 11-29-05, 05:11 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimoberst
I just took delivery of a 2006 GS300 with nav and ml system.

I'm not an audio expert, so I don't know too much about this stuff...

My car came with a few radio stations preset with text in the box on the screen in addition to the frequency. How did it get there? Can I put it in, or does it come directly from some fm stations?

When playing CDs, if I push the title button a box comes up with a space for disc and track names, but there's never anything in them. Is this a problem with my system, or is something special needed for these to fill in? (My PC has no trouble telling me disc and track titles.)

What sort of discs do I need to buy to try out this surround sound stuff? Most music stores don't carry anything like this. Best Buy had a few, but they had some different names... some said dvd-audio, but others had some other 4-letter acronym (I forget what it was - I think they had a Sony label). Are they all compatible with the ml system? Where is a good place to buy these, with a reasonable selection?

I have convinced myself that the ml system is not smart enough to play cds with mp3s on them. Amazing, and frustrating! Anyway, is there a way to record cd music "straight" onto dvds, thereby getting more than an hour's worth on one disc that the ml will play? How would I do that... ie, what programs could I use to burn such a dvd? (I'm just using itunes right now for creating cds.) Is there anything I need to know about, like you can't watch a dvd menu while you're moving, etc.?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jim Oberst
The text you see next to the radio station is from whatever they broadcast. You cannot change it yourself.

The CD's your speaking of, are they pressed or your own burned CD's? I've never tried pressed CD's, but when I burn CD's using Nero, I see the artist and title text. However, using other programs such as iTunes to burn, I don't get any information in the text box.

I believe in order to experience the surround sound, you will need to get DVD-A (audio DVD's) which have 5.1 channels, although I'm not certain since I've never tried them before. Try Sam Goody, Coconuts, or Tower Records.

I created my own audio DVD's by using a program called Audio DVD Creator. It allows me to fill an entire 4.7GB DVD (+ or -) with MP3's which first need to be converted into either AC3 or PCM format, which the program does automatically. It works fine, with the only caveat being that you cannot shuffle since it acts like a regular video DVD. I'm getting around this by ordering an iPod adapter which will fully integrate with the navigation head unit and steering wheel controls.
Old 11-29-05, 05:41 PM
soflGSguy
Rookie

dont buy alot of DVD-a they most dont work in the system they have bugs i foudn out oh well, i say stay with CD's they sound soooooo good on the ML. you will just get upset when u spend 17-20 dollors and your 2k sound system dosnt play it :-(
Old 11-30-05, 12:49 PM
IE_Dave
Rookie

Default DVD audio vs CD no comparison

I do agree that the titles are definitely limited but the sound "experience" listening to the 5.1 vs standard CD recording is similar to your standard tv picture vs HDTV. Once you hear it you don't want to go back. Additionally I have had the DVD mod done and now I can watch the video while listening to the sound track. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-30-05, 03:15 PM
jimoberst
Driver School Candidate

"had the dvd mod done"...
What is this? I understand the override mode trick, but what can be done permanently? And does it then allow you to do -anything- with the map while you're driving?

Thanks to all for the answers.

Jim.
Old 11-30-05, 03:22 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimoberst
"had the dvd mod done"...
What is this? I understand the override mode trick, but what can be done permanently? And does it then allow you to do -anything- with the map while you're driving?

Thanks to all for the answers.

Jim.
To override the navigation input permanently and be able to watch DVD videos while the car is in motion, you must cut some wires. This also allows you to dial out via Bluetooth while driving. See this thread - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=155488