GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Rear door wont open

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-17, 10:45 PM
frknlolex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear door wont open

I just changed my driver rear door actuator. Seemed like it was in working order before closing door and now door will not open. Ripped the door panel off because it was the only way to access the two wires from the actuator. Pulling and tugged on both wires but door still not opening. Tried playing the with mechanism with the latch and still will not open.

Is there any way to open the door without buying another one?
HELP!
Old 01-13-17, 08:05 AM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

(Trying to recall from memory)
I'd remove the handle and pull up on the lever inside the door that controls the lock mechanism.
Then you should be able to see/find the problem.
Sounds like the actuator is failing. Did you drop in a new one or change the motor in the old one?
Old 01-13-17, 08:38 AM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

If by wires you are pulling on you mean the cables one attaches to the door handle and the other to the door lock. I don't remember which direction is which but on the one attached to the door lock slide it in and try the outside door handle. If that doesn't work pull it out and try the outside door handle again. Sounds like you flipped the child safety switch that is a black switch attached to the door on the door frame near the latch mechanism. You can't see it until you get the door open. Post back if this helps or makes sense
Old 01-16-17, 06:24 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

Update?????
Old 01-17-17, 10:06 AM
akobari
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue on my GS300, after replacing all 4 motors inside white block, by accident I dropped one of the while block (passenger rear door) and broke off the little while lever on the white block, which is responsible for power lock mechanism, and then close the door so I can reorder the part and replace it in later time. But to my surprise that was a big mistake, not knowing that the lock mechanism was in lock position and everything is electronic. After trying many days, taking car to auto locksmith out of frustration, , and also going to Lexus dealer, they said they will charge just $365 diagnostic charge to tell me what the issue is and then charge more to fix it. That was when I realized , by doing some minor surgery on door panel (not ripping off the whole things) just small cut and on the corner so I can move my hand inside door, between panel and the door, and pushing the mechanical lever up, and finally unlock the door and it was a success. By the way I had to open the driver rear side panel to rehearse and practice which was very helpful. I hope this help you, if your issue is the same.
Old 02-12-17, 08:49 AM
ksersoze
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by akobari
I had the same issue on my GS300, after replacing all 4 motors inside white block, by accident I dropped one of the while block (passenger rear door) and broke off the little while lever on the white block, which is responsible for power lock mechanism, and then close the door so I can reorder the part and replace it in later time. But to my surprise that was a big mistake, not knowing that the lock mechanism was in lock position and everything is electronic. After trying many days, taking car to auto locksmith out of frustration, , and also going to Lexus dealer, they said they will charge just $365 diagnostic charge to tell me what the issue is and then charge more to fix it. That was when I realized , by doing some minor surgery on door panel (not ripping off the whole things) just small cut and on the corner so I can move my hand inside door, between panel and the door, and pushing the mechanical lever up, and finally unlock the door and it was a success. By the way I had to open the driver rear side panel to rehearse and practice which was very helpful. I hope this help you, if your issue is the same.
Hi, Where on the inside did you cut the door panel? Do you happen to have a picture of it? Thanks.