GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-15, 04:01 AM
cata
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default limp mode

Ok so I just bought a 99 gs300. Everything has been working great on the car and it's a vehicle I've wanted since high school lol. Yesterday afternoon I drove my daughter to the mall and it started acting funny, it wouldn't go when I pressed the gas and would only go if I floored it. I read about how many have had the issue with going into limp mode and what parts were changed to make it stop. The codes I got from advanced auto parts were p1120 and p1121. I was talking to a Co worker that owned a lexus before to see if he ever encountered this problem and he said his ecu went bad. I mentioned that I washed the carpet of the car yesterday and he said the ecu might have gotten wet and that might cause this issue. My question is do any of you think this could be the reason the car is giving those codes and going into limp mode or is it just a coincidence? I just want to know before I start buying parts that might not even be needed if the ecu is the problem. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Last edited by cata; 07-13-15 at 04:05 AM.
Old 07-13-15, 04:27 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-constant.html

Bottom line is, Lexus will fix the throttle body issues for free. There is a pdf file of the campaign somewhere in one of these threads. Do some homework and get it done for free.
Old 07-13-15, 07:29 AM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

I'm sure that throttle body maybe the issue but the electrical systems are sensitive. Yes you may have gotten something wet depending how you clean the carpet. I never believe limp mode or codes till they come back a second or third time. I would disconnect the battery cable for a few minutes then reconnect it. See if the code comes back. Also if it does come back it might take a couple of drives to go back into limp mode.
Old 07-13-15, 07:43 AM
cata
Driver School Candidate

Well I called lexus, they asked me for my Vin number and they ran it. They said that my particular vehicle was not included for the throttle body work, does anyone know if this is true where they only serviced certain vehicles and not all of them?

I unplugged the battery yesterday and turned it on this morning. I reved up by itself a few times then it calmed down and the check engine light came on including the vsc, didn't actually run it but again the lights came on.
Old 07-13-15, 08:42 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

burny...is this the PDF?

http://www.toyotaelsettlement.com/Home/FAQ#8d
Old 07-13-15, 09:31 AM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah they'll say the car is not included or won't be covered for the free repair but some have had luck.

or

You can buy the APPS sensor which is around 200 bucks.
Old 07-13-15, 09:42 AM
cata
Driver School Candidate

Well guys, first of all thank you for all your responses. Now to what I have been able to find out. I called the firm that settled the case, they told me that of course lexus said my vehicle isn't part of a recall because in fact this wasn't a recall, since it's a settlement, Toyota isn't accepting responsibility for any wrong doing, what they are saying is that if one of the 5 things that are in the settlement section 7D that they would replace it free of cost to the owner, one of those things being the throttle body assembly. The person I spoke to told me to take it to an authorized lexus service provider and refer them to the website. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping something can be done to get this issue resolved. Last question of the day, I hope lol, does the throttle body assembly include the three things most people have ended up changing to make the car work or no?
Old 07-13-15, 10:16 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Lexus will do this as a goodwill gesture due to safety reasons. Trust me, push the issue with them or call Lexus Corporate.It is not a recall
Old 07-13-15, 10:22 AM
cata
Driver School Candidate

I called Lexus corporate and they gave me the number to the firm that handled the settlement. I spoke to a service manager that knew about the settlement and told me that if one of the problems with my vehicle was on the list for the extended warranty they would fix it and wouldn't charge me a thing and by looking up throttle body assembly online it includes the 3 things that others have changed to make the car work. Now if I can get the dealership closer to me to agree to this I think I should be good. If not I'll just have to get it towed to the one that agreed to do it for free, from what I seen on many threads and by the symptoms of my car I can't see it being something other than one of the things on the throttle body.
Old 07-13-15, 06:05 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cata
I called Lexus corporate and they gave me the number to the firm that handled the settlement. I spoke to a service manager that knew about the settlement and told me that if one of the problems with my vehicle was on the list for the extended warranty they would fix it and wouldn't charge me a thing and by looking up throttle body assembly online it includes the 3 things that others have changed to make the car work. Now if I can get the dealership closer to me to agree to this I think I should be good. If not I'll just have to get it towed to the one that agreed to do it for free, from what I seen on many threads and by the symptoms of my car I can't see it being something other than one of the things on the throttle body.
Can you tell me the number that Lexus Corporate gave to you. Because this is was happen with me today when I call my local dealer here in central Fl. and Lexus Corporate in California and both told me that I not have any recall or warranty on my GS300 05. Also, can you told me what I need to say to the service manager on the dealer because I have appointment the next coming Tuesday on the dealer to check my car. Please hell. .
Old 07-13-15, 06:18 PM
cata
Driver School Candidate

18882838023 that's the number I called. There is no recall on the cars, it's an extended warranty. The actual pdf is posted above. Go to question 7 section D and it states what can be serviced under this settlement. I asked the service manager if he knew about the settlement concerning the class action suit in regrads to the electronic throttle control system and he knew what I was talking about. He stated there was a procedure to follow but he did know about it. Read the the settlement yourself before so you know what you're talking about also.

Some good news, I replaced the idle control valve on the car and the car is running fine as of right now, I drove it about 20 miles or so and it acted fine. The only thing I noticed was the rpms were a bit lower than what I remember before this while ordeal. I guess I need to adjust the tps, can someone tell me what the normal rpms are after the car warms up and the vehicle is in gear?

Thank all of you for all your advice, I don't know what I would've done with you all. I just couldn't wait for the dealer to take responsibility since it's my only vehicle.
Old 07-13-15, 08:16 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

To many Thank you for the info. and the rpm when you car is warms is about 6 to 8 rpm included the A/C on. But because the dealer need to change your Throttle Body. Let them make the adjustment in your rpm for your car. Thank you again for the info. and good luck with your new TB. Enjoy
Old 07-13-15, 08:19 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

I forget to ask you. Where I can read the settlemant 7 D? Thanks again.
Old 07-14-15, 04:54 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mcon
I forget to ask you. Where I can read the settlemant 7 D? Thanks again.
Click the link in post #5 above
Old 07-14-15, 08:53 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by burny
Click the link in post #5 above
Thanks, a few hours later after I made the last question. I see the post # 5. But again, Thanks