GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

This is getting ridiculous....Limp mode constant....

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-14, 10:51 AM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This is getting ridiculous....Limp mode constant....

So I have posted about this before, and researched my ***** off and still cannot pinpoint what the deal is.

My 03 GS3 is in permanent limp mode at the moment.

I was replacing spark plugs and what valve cover gaskets a while back and when i put it back together, it was giving me a CEL and VSC lights. I took everything back apart, checked wires, and noticed i had pulled one wire going to the Accelerator pedal position sensor. So i put it back in (didn't have time to solder it so i shoved it back in and taped and zip tied everything up).

After that it seemed to go back to normal. Except for the fact that if you got on the throttle heavy, let off, and tried to get back on it quickly again, the car would go into limp mode and show the CEL and VSC light again. But once you tapped the gas pedal, the lights would go away and the car would return back to normal.

I was already confused over the multiple forums online about all this. So i just left it and drove it for the next 3-4 months as is and avoided flooring it.

Well out of the blue, it started to really go into limp mode consistently, and would even die at times coming to a stop. It got so bad that there were times that I would press the gas, and the RPMS would rise and sputter as if it was starving for gas, but the car wouldn't go anywhere. Then after about 3 seconds of that, the car would take off normally.

Now I am at the point where the car is just in PERMA-LIMP mode. No normal driving, it is all being done by the fail safe. Ive parked the car at this point.

Last night me and my dad went to test a few things, and had a new TPS with us to swap in. Immediately we noticed that the setup voltage cannot be achieved. its as if the TPS is not getting any input from what I'm assuming is the APPS. We checked the voltage from the ECM to the TPS and it is getting the proper voltage.

I did hear the Throttle Control Motor spin for the first few attempts. But later it was not spinning at all.....

Should I replace the TCM or the APPS?

The TPS sensor i tried did nothing for it. Even when you disconnect the TPS while its running there is no change in RPM. The engine doesn't react at all as if it was never there to begin with. It idles at like 1000 RPM when cold, and goes to 1500RPM when warm....

It seems like the ECM is fine, and the problem is centralized in the throttle body. Seeing as that the TPS didn't make a difference at all, i was told by lexus that they just replace the entire throttle body because it is some type of internal problem. Im a car guy, that doesn't work for me, i see no reason to spend 1000 if i can pinpoint it to a smaller part on the throttle body.

Anybody have a shop manual for a 2003 GS300? Any other advice? or should I just put the pride aside and take it in ...

Anything will help. thanks guys.

PS....forgot to mention, right now its shooting a P0122 Code, and does not go away at all, even if you delete the codes its as if it is instantly re-engaged.
Old 12-21-14, 01:24 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

Did you install the TPS correctly. The first time I took mine out I didn't reinstall it correctly. In my case it doesn't just slide back in. The ears inside needed to be lined up to put tension on the spring inside.
Old 12-21-14, 01:28 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Dude, Lexus is fixing this throttle body **** for free man. Read and take notes

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...p-mode-34.html
Old 12-21-14, 02:51 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

I did not hear about Lexus supposedly doing it for free. I'm going to read through that thread and see what I can do. Might just call a dealership up and ask. I put that TPS on multiple times, and was always the same outcome. I'm going to retry in a couple days if Lexus won't help out.
Old 12-21-14, 04:28 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

read like the last 6 or 7 pages
Old 01-13-15, 07:55 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

So an update.....I took my car to Lexus of Riverside, CA and had the warranty handle it. Im so glad that i heard about this on here from you guys. Saved me $1374 dollars. They replaced the entire throttle body and now it runs like butter. So happy to have her back, and glad that i did not shell money out for further parts past the TPS.

Advice to anyone else having these issues, or thinking about taking it to the dealer. DO IT! They will cover it all as long as you are CURRENTLY throwing any codes pertaining to acceleration issues. (TPS, Drive motor, throttle body, pedal position sensor)

Just DONT tell them that you tried to mess with it at all. They will not cover anything that has already been screwed with. So just tell them that you have been noticing the problem and brought it in to see if it had something to do with the class action lawsuit.
Old 01-14-15, 05:25 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Bingo. Another happy customer
Old 01-14-15, 10:20 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Thats awesome... i had this same issue a couple years ago when I had my GS and had to pay about what you said. Lucky you!
Old 01-15-15, 03:43 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
Thats awesome... i had this same issue a couple years ago when I had my GS and had to pay about what you said. Lucky you!
Yes definitely lucky! I was going to take a risk on a used throttle body for 300 until i saw this. glad i didn't. Who knows if all the parts would have worked anyway.
Old 07-06-15, 06:39 PM
ingram67
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burny You're the Man!

Originally Posted by burny
Bingo. Another happy customer
After reading this awesome info you turned us all on to, I informed the dealer that no, I won't be picking up the $1800 tab you quoted me for replacing entire throttle body assembly you recommended. Dealer just covered cost of throttle lever assembly (funny how when they're paying it doesn't need the whole $1800 job) and 1999 LX 470 with 240k miles is running great again!

Thanks Burny! You're saving the Lexus Community tons of $$$$$!
Old 07-06-15, 06:57 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Interesting, i didnt know lexus had limp mode. I thought only the money pit 93 600sel i had only had it along with other mercedes.
Old 07-07-15, 08:26 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Here is the link to what is needed.
http://www.toyotaelsettlement.com/Home/FAQ#8d

Last edited by burny; 07-07-15 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-07-15, 08:32 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Someone mentioned the ball joints are being replaced as well out of safety concern. Anyone know where this is documented?
Old 07-08-15, 10:13 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

This happened to me for about eight months. I will buy again after eight months have installed the new spark plugs and cleaned the throttle body. I buy another throttle body, new spark plugs, spark plug wires, PVC, PVC Hose, The Throttle Body Gasket, clean the map sensor and the problem still there. At the end the last thing I did was pray to God and he took me to this air hose that was broken internally and when I touch it and I pull out, I found it was broken and leak air. This was my problem about eight months. But it was the same symptom that MrHimbert was going on and feeling with his car. I also want to thanks all the guys who supplied them additional information about the warranty on the Throttle Body. It's good to have all this information in the near future. Thanks again and many blessings to all of you guys.

The clamp cover the crack in the hose.

Left Throttler Body Gasket was the Old one and the Right one, the new TB Gasket.
Old 09-11-15, 04:26 PM
JTPollack
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory replacement

How long do you have to get this fixed from Toyota, I haven't seen anyone post about it for a while and just discovered this.

Quick Reply: This is getting ridiculous....Limp mode constant....