GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

help, piece of plastic inside the engine Gs400

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-14, 06:40 PM
lcolombo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help, piece of plastic inside the engine Gs400

yes, I have a lexus gs 400 2000 replaces the PCV valve, trying to get the base PCV Valve Grommet plastic, broke in two pieces and a piece I is inside the engine, i cant sleep, I want to know if I can cause a problem. there is no failure. I could be that this reaches the valve?
Old 06-14-14, 07:54 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So the first thing is this... have you started and run the engine since this happened? I hope not.

Second: you have to take the valve cover off and find that piece of plastic and get it and any of its bits or pieces out and then replace the valve cover. That's my best advice and good luck.

Edit: here's a thread on this exact same thing if it helps you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...placement.html

Last edited by MattyG; 06-14-14 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-14-14, 10:10 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

So, from other threads, it's reported that there are baffles under the hole to catch any pieces, so even if there are pieces there, it is not the end of the world, it is not going to the rest of your engine. So don't panic, even if you run your car it will be fine. I've only recently done this on an LS430, and the pieces do not drop into the engine, there's a compartment there that catches them.

If you angle yourself right and get a good flashlight you should be able to see it didn't drop all the way into your engine.

If the pieces are big, get needlenose pliers and you should be able to fish them out.
If the pieces are too small, you can rig up a vacuum to a small hose and try to suck it out of the hole, or just attach some duct tape to a coat hanger and swish that around in there to pick up parts
Old 06-15-14, 12:17 AM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A while back I was changing plugs in my '00 GS3. That infamous wiring harness broke into many pieces during the job. The bits of plastic and oil that had accumulated in the plug valleys fell into the cylinder (I should have cleaned up before removing the plugs, but you live and learn). I got a small shop vac from Walmart for about $30 that included a computer cleaning kit. It came with a keyboard cleaning nozzle about the size of a soda straw. It wasn't long enough to fit down into the cylinder so I taped a straw to it and it worked perfectly. It got all the oil and the bits of plastic off the top of the piston. I don't see why it wouldn't work for cleaning plastic out of the PVC opening. Good luck.
Old 06-15-14, 03:59 PM
lcolombo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raytseng
So, from other threads, it's reported that there are baffles under the hole to catch any pieces, so even if there are pieces there, it is not the end of the world, it is not going to the rest of your engine. So don't panic, even if you run your car it will be fine. I've only recently done this on an LS430, and the pieces do not drop into the engine, there's a compartment there that catches them.

If you angle yourself right and get a good flashlight you should be able to see it didn't drop all the way into your engine.

If the pieces are big, get needlenose pliers and you should be able to fish them out.
If the pieces are too small, you can rig up a vacuum to a small hose and try to suck it out of the hole, or just attach some duct tape to a coat hanger and swish that around in there to pick up parts
thanks for the comment, I am calmer, I can no longer see the piece. longer will have to be there. like you said there's a baffler that does not let anything between motor.