GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

car felt like it slipped out of gear or lost power during wot

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-13, 05:12 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default car felt like it slipped out of gear or lost power during wot

Long story short i was on my way home and i went to pass a car that was broken and i went wot to make the light i was at and at around 5000 rpm the car felt like it died or just lost power.. it didnt feel like it slipped it really felt like the car just lost all its power. It caught back immediately and didnt do it the rest of the drive home i even gave a few more wot to see if it would happen again but it didnt. It was also raining very hard for the past 2 days. im scared. I just bought the car not even 2 months ago. and its my daily i have no idea what it could be.
Old 11-22-13, 05:36 PM
929rider
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my gs430 Saturday and when the traction control kicks in it feels the same. just quits. then goes, all during wot.
Old 11-22-13, 07:40 PM
sugzz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree. It was probably the traction control kicking in because of the wet road.
Old 11-22-13, 08:18 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts

Or because a 400 has *****. Also, maybe your tires aren't tr greatest
Old 11-22-13, 08:27 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

See now that i think about it, it could be... The only thing that makes me think other wise is i dont remember seeing the light go off.. Cause i immediatly looked at the dash looking for some light thinking the tranny went or the alternator. Also maybe i just didnt see it in time and i didnt hear it cause i had the radio on?
Old 11-22-13, 09:32 PM
JayGS4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually if the traction control kicks in, there is a click in the dash followed by the light. Did you hear the click by chance? At least that happens on my GS430 not sure if same on the GS400s.
Old 11-22-13, 10:26 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JayGS4
Usually if the traction control kicks in, there is a click in the dash followed by the light. Did you hear the click by chance? At least that happens on my GS430 not sure if same on the GS400s.
I have a 430 also. And im not sure about a click. I honestly was so in shock it was hard to remember what happend. I just have flashbacks, this is all i remember... Switching lanes. Looking up and seeing a yellow light. At about 20mph i Hit the gas to mAke the light since it had cameras and at the same time i look over to switch another lane, and then boom! I jerked forward and almost hit my head on the wheel. I let off the gas and watched the rpms drop. Looked at the dash just to see no lights were on. Then i feared the worst, i pressed the gas and hoped the transmission was okay. It ran fine. Did more wots just to see if the tranny would slip but still nothing. Then i just told myself the belt slipped from the heavy rain. Since i had similiar power loss in my 2002 silverado when i drove through a flooded street, i heard the belt slippin.
Old 03-31-15, 06:08 AM
btanchors
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, I am not positive that I just experienced an identical event, but it sure sounds similar...

The car is a 2003 GS430, 106k miles.

I was making a right turn, and realized there was some traffic coming, and I gave it probably 3/4 throttle, not quite floored. The car didn't respond for a split second! Shocked, I looked at the dash. Then I saw the tachometer go to over 4000 rpm, there was a lurch, and then I accelerated rapidly. This all happened within a second.

I am pretty sure the traction control/VSC didn't kick in, I didn't see any lights. The car ran perfectly normal after that.

The only work done to the car recently was new engine mounts, installed by the dealer.

Now that I have written this, I am starting to recall that the car did "swerve" a bit when I made that turn, but I still didn't see the VSC light come on. Is this normal behavior under these conditions, or do i have a developing problem?
Old 03-31-15, 07:25 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by btanchors
OK, I am not positive that I just experienced an identical event, but it sure sounds similar...

The car is a 2003 GS430, 106k miles.

I was making a right turn, and realized there was some traffic coming, and I gave it probably 3/4 throttle, not quite floored. The car didn't respond for a split second! Shocked, I looked at the dash. Then I saw the tachometer go to over 4000 rpm, there was a lurch, and then I accelerated rapidly. This all happened within a second.

I am pretty sure the traction control/VSC didn't kick in, I didn't see any lights. The car ran perfectly normal after that.

The only work done to the car recently was new engine mounts, installed by the dealer.

Now that I have written this, I am starting to recall that the car did "swerve" a bit when I made that turn, but I still didn't see the VSC light come on. Is this normal behavior under these conditions, or do i have a developing problem?

I too had engine mounts replaced. It seem like there is more concentrated power to the wheels when the mounts were replaced. My VSC light is going off frequently when doing some "spirited" driviing. I do have new cheap Velozza tires put on by the dealer when I bought the car so I will need to upgrade them later. I've had many instances where the car seems to stall out a bit under heavy acceleration merging onto high speed traffic. My car fights to get traction. The safety system is trying to tame the beast!
Make sure your transmission is in "power" mode for better acceleration response and you can turn off the VSC when you have to merge onto highspeed traffic at a stop.