GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

OEM vs aftermarket brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-13, 01:38 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default OEM vs aftermarket brake pads

Hey everybody, my brakes are getting to the point where they "grind" once in a while need to replace soon, lexus dealer wanted somewhere around 650$ just for the rear brakes which is ridiculous in my opinion. Can anyone answer would the lexus pads really be any better than the higher cost ones at say autozone? I'd much rather buy those and do it myself, also anything special with this car to look out for while doing brakes I would assume not but I'm still new to this car.
Old 05-13-13, 01:52 AM
BosuGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally bought Genuine Toyota/Lexus pads for mine, but not for any reason in particular, I just prefer quality genuine parts wherever possible.

Only thing I'd say to look out for, take a photo or make notes on exactly how all the springs/clips go as they are a ***** to remember and if you lose/break any the pads will rattle, as mine are now after they sprung off (from incorrect fitment) whilst driving down the road and are gone for good.

New brake clip/pin fitting kit was $80 AUD from Lexus.

Other than that, just take all the usual/general precautions when working on any brake system, because if you stuff it up and then go for a test drive with no/faulty brakes it could end in diaster.

Good Luck

-Chris
Old 05-13-13, 08:29 AM
chubz
Lead Lap

im running the wagner thermoquiets on my gs300. had them for a few months and so far so good. they come with all the hardware and are pretty good stuff.
Old 05-13-13, 09:47 AM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

my new pads still sound like a hoard of mice. need something else
Old 05-13-13, 10:27 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

some days I wish this forum would put in the widget i see in other forums that does an auto-search based on the OP, and post best results at the bottom for the OP to look through....

just saying.
Old 05-13-13, 10:40 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Originally Posted by chubz
im running the wagner thermoquiets on my gs300. had them for a few months and so far so good. they come with all the hardware and are pretty good stuff.
Thanks for the input, I was actually looking at the thermoquiets as my choice, prolly will end up going with them, save me close to a grand on brakes compared to the dealership. -_- how they get away with that is beyond me
Old 05-13-13, 11:49 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by chubz
By far the best bang for the buck...especially if you get them off rock auto. I will go with these when it's time for me to change.
Old 05-13-13, 11:50 AM
AZTurbo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have used Axxis Metal Masters and Akebono's in the past. They seem to work just fine for daily driving.
Old 05-13-13, 01:38 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
By far the best bang for the buck...especially if you get them off rock auto. I will go with these when it's time for me to change.
Actually just called my lexus dealership, front and rear pads were available for 79.99 each which I think is actually a little less than the thermoquiets at autozone, I was surprised.
Old 05-13-13, 01:38 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
Hey everybody, my brakes are getting to the point where they "grind" once in a while need to replace soon, lexus dealer wanted somewhere around 650$ just for the rear brakes which is ridiculous in my opinion. Can anyone answer would the lexus pads really be any better than the higher cost ones at say autozone? I'd much rather buy those and do it myself, also anything special with this car to look out for while doing brakes I would assume not but I'm still new to this car.
As others have mentioned, the stock toyota pads are excellent for normal/daily driving. IMHO the quality justifies the price. They're relatively low dusting and make NO noise when installed correctly.

The price you were quoted is highway robbery! If you have access to basic hand tools, jack, and jack stands, you can do it yourself, easily. Depending on your mileage, a "fit" kit is a worthwhile investment. It might seem extraneous on inspection, but it helps to eliminate noise based on the pads having play to move around and make noise, usually a popping/thunk sound.

I believe you can even get the fit kits now from aftermarket vendors. I suggest Rock Auto, or stock OEM.

You can replace your pads, fit kit, and turn the rotors for about $100. A lot cheaper than your quote.
Old 05-20-13, 06:23 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
Actually just called my lexus dealership, front and rear pads were available for 79.99 each which I think is actually a little less than the thermoquiets at autozone, I was surprised.
Source parts from rock auto. I never buy from Advance or Autozone unless I have a coupon.
Old 05-20-13, 07:56 AM
KeyKeeper
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just my 2 cents, but the first post says "grinding" when hitting the brakes. Maybe the rotors are trashed is why the price is so high. Or maybe im way off. **eats popcorn**
Old 05-20-13, 10:04 AM
Jets300
Rookie

All this commotion of thermoquiets. Off to do some research now.
Old 05-20-13, 11:53 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Default Good Rule of Thumb

Originally Posted by KeyKeeper
Just my 2 cents, but the first post says "grinding" when hitting the brakes. Maybe the rotors are trashed is why the price is so high. Or maybe im way off. **eats popcorn**
Here is a good rule of thumb when dealing with brakes and rotors. It isn't 100%, but it's typically true:

1. If you hit on brakes while driving and you feel the vibration in your seat/rear section, it's typically rear brakes or rotors going bad. Inspect

2. If you hit on brake while driving and you feel the vibration in your steering wheel, it's typically your front brakes. Inspect.

3. If you hit on brakes while driving and you feel the vibration/pulsing in the pedal, it's typically your front rotors. Inspect.
Old 05-20-13, 12:34 PM
SidhuGs300
Pole Position

That is some nice information goku, thanks

Quick Reply: OEM vs aftermarket brake pads