GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My first encounter with po-po

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-11, 10:58 PM
Dee8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first encounter with po-po

And it was about my "reverse" tail lights. He pulled me over and said that my reverse lights were always on, even as I was moving forward, but it was really just the small lights that have the light red lens instead of the super red lens.

Booooo. He let me go without a ticket [granted he was a University police officer], but that was just interesting to get pulled over for.

10:30pm in Sacramento
Officer: "So where are you coming from?"
Friend: "Uh... Safeway?"
Officer: "Oh. Have you been drinking?"
Me: ".... No...."

Oh po-po, you make me laugh.
Old 05-14-11, 11:05 PM
harman
Driver

yea some times police be buggin over little things. I was pulled over yesterday for having a tinted licence plate cover.?? i ve had that thing on for years and never gotten pulled over for it . They probbably were checking you out- hoping to catch you on something else...
Old 05-15-11, 05:58 AM
drewefx
Pole Position

i think its worth it, say someone stole ur car and they get pulled over something small, bang ur car is recovered!!! My two cents!!!
Old 05-15-11, 06:20 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,310 Posts

If I'm reading this right your inner lenses are extremely faded. They're not supposed to be like that.... they're supposed to be the same color as the red outer lens.

Should replace 'em or spray them with some red lens paint.
Old 05-15-11, 06:25 AM
Lexusfam
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by harman
yea some times police be buggin over little things. I was pulled over yesterday for having a tinted licence plate cover.?? i ve had that thing on for years and never gotten pulled over for it . They probbably were checking you out- hoping to catch you on something else...
that's actually illegal in most states. i got a ticket for the clear one here in NY, had to take it off.
Old 05-15-11, 08:49 AM
UpstateLex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by drewefx
i think its worth it, say someone stole ur car and they get pulled over something small, bang ur car is recovered!!! My two cents!!!
so in your thinking the cops should be able to seach without reasonable cause etc. etc. because they might find something? bangg
Old 05-15-11, 11:15 AM
English66
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See most people do not know the law and the police count on that to get what they want. They can pull you over for a faded tail light but they can not search your car. Thats why they ask you if they can search. most people say yes because they have nothing to hide or they are embaresed becaused they are pulled over and everyone is watching. I tell them NO, tell me what cause do you have to search for? Most of them turn stupid and let you go and the rest try and make up some fake law to get over. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS AND THE LAW.
Old 05-16-11, 05:53 AM
Dee8
Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
If I'm reading this right your inner lenses are extremely faded. They're not supposed to be like that.... they're supposed to be the same color as the red outer lens.

Orly? I didn't know because I had seen it on other cars before. Odd, but okay. Would it be better/easier to 1) replace the lens 2) replace the bulb [so it's red] or 3) spray it
Old 05-16-11, 07:11 AM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by harman
yeah in GA too. got pulled over for a smoked license plate cover.

Originally Posted by DaveGS4

Originally Posted by boscardin
Orly? I didn't know because I had seen it on other cars before. Odd, but okay. Would it be better/easier to 1) replace the lens 2) replace the bulb [so it's red] or 3) spray it
replace would be easiest. it is only 2 10mm bolts per housing which is easily accessed by opening the velcro-ed slats on the trunk lid carpet side. cheapest would be sprayed.
Old 05-16-11, 08:47 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by English66
See most people do not know the law and the police count on that to get what they want. They can pull you over for a faded tail light but they can not search your car. Thats why they ask you if they can search. most people say yes because they have nothing to hide or they are embaresed becaused they are pulled over and everyone is watching. I tell them NO, tell me what cause do you have to search for? Most of them turn stupid and let you go and the rest try and make up some fake law to get over. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS AND THE LAW.
True but being a smartazz about it will get you detained for the 20 mins it takes for him to call a k-9 unit to come and check out your car. If you haven't given him probable cause and you're a 'regular' person, be RESPECTFUL and advise that you do not give consent and tell them why (I am late for a doctors appt, etc).

To think that you're the first person to read a law on the internet and you're 'teaching the officer a lesson' is a waste of your time.
Old 05-17-11, 10:10 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by English66
EXCEPT for the fact that if you say no as ooohpapi says....they will probably just call the K-9 unit on you and when they do,THEY DONT NEED YOUR PERMISSION for the k-9 dog to "sniff" inside or outside of your vehicle....
Old 05-28-11, 05:08 PM
Clifton
Rookie

Never answer LEO's questions. Where are you coming from does not get an answer other than what is the purpose of my detention. The only answer I'm am required to answer in my state is my legal name. FTP
Old 05-28-11, 05:26 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

This cop probably just had good intentions, most likely thought there was something wrong, on the other hand some cops are complete douche bags. I was driving a completely stock rx350 and the cop tried to give me a ticket for stock tints and stock hid headlights, the ones that came from the factory. Just because i was a young kid driving home at 3 am, mind you when he pulled me over, he had no reason, no swerving, speeding, eratic driving, or loud music, just the lights and windows
Old 05-28-11, 06:33 PM
Dscustoms
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by sakataj
EXCEPT for the fact that if you say no as ooohpapi says....they will probably just call the K-9 unit on you and when they do,THEY DONT NEED YOUR PERMISSION for the k-9 dog to "sniff" inside or outside of your vehicle....
Except if you don't have drugs and respect your privacy, the dog won't find anything. You could go deep into the amount of crooked you may experience, but if they claim the dog alerted on anything that wasn't drugs your lawyer will get it thrown out. You ALWAYS REFUSE SEARCHES. Respect your rights people. The best thing you can do is let them know you won't be answering any questions and do not consent to any searches.

People talk themselves into jail, not out of it.
Old 05-28-11, 07:46 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Be respectful to Law Enforcement and they will show it back. However don't be a sucker, you should know your rights.

Quick Reply: My first encounter with po-po