GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Do I need a new starter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-10, 08:26 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Do I need a new starter?

Hey guys. I don't know why I'm asking, because I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

The car wouldn't start about 6 months ago. I truly believe the battery was dead (it was about 5 years old at the time). So, I replaced the battery. I didn't have a wire brush, so I did not clean the corrosion off the terminal clamps. About a month ago, one morning the car wouldn't start. Just a bunch of clicks. So, I popped the hood, removed the clamps from the terminals and cleaned them thoroughly. When I put them back on, the positive clamp was very loose, so I replaced it. It seemed to fix the problem, so I thought I dodged the bullet.

A few days ago, same thing, car wouldn't start. Just a bunch of clicks. I let it sit for a few minutes and tried to start it again, and this time it started right up as if there was nothing wrong. It's been fine ever since. Very weird.

So, back to my original question, do I need a new starter? If so, has anyone figured out a cheaper way to go about replacing it? The Lexus dealer quoted me around $1,500. Thanks.

e
Old 02-21-10, 08:36 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

you can find someone to rebuild it I had a friend who made startes and alternators for a living who would rebuild either one for $25 bucks for me I'd ask him to help you out (if it were the starter as a problem) however we had a fall out about a year ago

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 02-22-10 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-21-10, 08:38 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
you can find someone to rebuild it I had a friend who made startes and alternators for a living who would rebuild either one for $25 bucks for me I'd ask him to help you out (if it were the starter as a problem) however we had a fall out about a year ago

Next time it happens, best thing to do is have someone tap the starter with a blunt object while you try to crank it, but dont touch the battery. This action can eliminate it being a starter problem.
I could be wrong, but isn't the starter basically buried in the middle of the engine? I thought I read somewhere that you need to take the heads off in order to get to it.

e
Old 02-21-10, 08:48 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

This link will take you through the whole proses of removal and rebuilding the starter in your 400.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-problems.html

Last edited by FrankT; 02-21-10 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-21-10, 08:49 PM
PhoenixINX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
I could be wrong, but isn't the starter basically buried in the middle of the engine? I thought I read somewhere that you need to take the heads off in order to get to it.

e
It's under the intake manifold, towards the rear of the motor.
Old 02-21-10, 08:49 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

e
Holy hell! Remove the heads the starter will be near the fly wheel... I'm gonna look for a blow up of our engine, maybe some one will come on with proper answer to that before I find the blow up.
Old 02-21-10, 08:51 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhoenixINX
It's under the intake manifold, towards the rear of the motor.
Lexus quoted me 8 hours of labor to replace it. Does that sound about right?

e
Old 02-21-10, 08:52 PM
PhoenixINX
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Holy hell! Remove the heads the starter will be near the fly wheel... I'm gonna look for a blow up of our engine, maybe some one will come on with proper answer to that before I find the blow up.
Slow down there... you're not even getting near removing the heads.

Here's a GREAT write up.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...roblems-2.html

Lexus quoted me 8 hours of labor to replace it. Does that sound about right?

e
Sounds WAY high!!! DeLorean00 self proclaimed he's no expert, and the job only took him 4-5 hours. The books might call for eight, but negotiate it from there.
Old 02-21-10, 09:00 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhoenixINX
Slow down there... you're not even getting near removing the heads.
Just quoting what he said... Just wanna be clear here
Old 02-21-10, 09:23 PM
doramon
Rookie

just take a long metal rod abt quarter inch in diameter n abt 4 feet long... n look below the intake manifold...is somewhere there...just give one two very slight taps on it...that will start your car is something abt replacing the "carbon" inside the starter...u can always rebuilt it...
Old 02-22-10, 10:12 AM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys. I don't know why I'm asking, because I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

The car wouldn't start about 6 months ago. I truly believe the battery was dead (it was about 5 years old at the time). So, I replaced the battery. I didn't have a wire brush, so I did not clean the corrosion off the terminal clamps. About a month ago, one morning the car wouldn't start. Just a bunch of clicks. So, I popped the hood, removed the clamps from the terminals and cleaned them thoroughly. When I put them back on, the positive clamp was very loose, so I replaced it. It seemed to fix the problem, so I thought I dodged the bullet.

A few days ago, same thing, car wouldn't start. Just a bunch of clicks. I let it sit for a few minutes and tried to start it again, and this time it started right up as if there was nothing wrong. It's been fine ever since. Very weird.

So, back to my original question, do I need a new starter? If so, has anyone figured out a cheaper way to go about replacing it? The Lexus dealer quoted me around $1,500. Thanks.

e
I got about the same thing with my car. Sometimes over the Summer my car would just turn off when I was stopped. One time I was in the middle of an intersection and it just completely stopped, and I tried to start it and nothing happened so I called 9-11 to have it towed. However, 2 minutes later the car started fine. My friends dad looked at my car and cleaned off the corrosion on the battery and tightened the connections to the battery with a wrench. This seemed to fix that problem. However, more recently it seems like in the morning when it is pretty cold my car will start up for a second and then stall out and I'll have to start it again and rev it up a little so it doesn't stall again. However, I did have an instance just as you described. One time I went over to my girlfriends house and my car got stuck in snow. I hung out with my girlfriend for a while and then I came out and tried to start the car. The first time it started up and then stalled out. I started it up again and it did the same. However, when I tried to start it a third time it just kept clicking, it was turning, and it seemed to catch for a second, but then it would begin turning again. I called on my girlfriends dad for help. Of course as soon as he came out the car started perfectly (Which was about 2 minutes later). We had to shovel snow from under the car in order to finally get it out, but everything worked in the end.