GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

P0161 code on GS430

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-09, 08:42 PM
Kytann
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0161 code on GS430

Hello. I've done a search on the P0161 code, but the majority of the information seems to me for the inline six GS300's

P0161 is O2 sensor heater malfunction, bank 2 sensor 2

Now my question is where is this in real life?

I'm guessing passenger side after the cat.

Is this correct?

Now I've had a heater fail on me before on an o2 sensor that was after the cat. The only real purpose of an after cat o2 sensor is to make sure your catalytic converter is not worn out. The o2 sensor before the cat is the one used to make adjustments to the fuel trim.
Knowing that I see no real benefit to the operation of the car to heat up the sensor.

When this happened before I located the wiring for the sensor heater, and spliced in a resistor I bought at radio shack. This cost $5 and worked great for the rest of the time I had the car.

Only trick was that resistor got really hot, so I used a metal hose clamp to attach it to a metal bar to act as a big heat sink.

contemplating this approach.

Question becomes then, where is the wiring for the B2S2 o2 sensor?
And of course, where is the actual sensor?
Old 07-27-09, 10:30 PM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

theres plenty of threads about this... just hit the search button for oxygen sensor
Old 07-27-09, 11:32 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300ToM
theres plenty of threads about this... just hit the search button for oxygen sensor

Searching will help you find "Pics Of Location Of Oxygen Sensors"

Thread
Old 07-28-09, 12:17 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Kytann
Hello. I've done a search on the P0161 code, but the majority of the information seems to me for the inline six GS300's

P0161 is O2 sensor heater malfunction, bank 2 sensor 2

Now my question is where is this in real life?

I'm guessing passenger side after the cat.

Is this correct?

Now I've had a heater fail on me before on an o2 sensor that was after the cat. The only real purpose of an after cat o2 sensor is to make sure your catalytic converter is not worn out. The o2 sensor before the cat is the one used to make adjustments to the fuel trim.
Knowing that I see no real benefit to the operation of the car to heat up the sensor.

When this happened before I located the wiring for the sensor heater, and spliced in a resistor I bought at radio shack. This cost $5 and worked great for the rest of the time I had the car.

Only trick was that resistor got really hot, so I used a metal hose clamp to attach it to a metal bar to act as a big heat sink.

contemplating this approach.

Question becomes then, where is the wiring for the B2S2 o2 sensor?
And of course, where is the actual sensor?
Just change it don't play games. Yes, it's on the passenger side. The connector is on the passenger side where you would have to lift the carpet out to replace it.
Old 08-05-09, 08:35 PM
Kytann
Rookie

It can be accessed from in the cab of the car? Wierd.

I'll look for it this weekend.

As far as searching, as I stated above, I did search. Didn't find hardly any information specific to the V8's. Everything that I found seemed to be L6 specific after reading EVERY post that came up from a P0161 search.
Is there some other way of searching that I'm not familiar with?

Anyway, there was some descriptions for the L6 guys, but it wouldn't make sense for the two engine types to have the same exhaust layout. THerefore location information for an L6 has no bearing on a V8. After all an L6 doesn't have two banks of cylinders.
Old 08-05-09, 09:53 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Kytann
It can be accessed from in the cab of the car? Wierd.

I'll look for it this weekend.

As far as searching, as I stated above, I did search. Didn't find hardly any information specific to the V8's. Everything that I found seemed to be L6 specific after reading EVERY post that came up from a P0161 search.
Is there some other way of searching that I'm not familiar with?

Anyway, there was some descriptions for the L6 guys, but it wouldn't make sense for the two engine types to have the same exhaust layout. THerefore location information for an L6 has no bearing on a V8. After all an L6 doesn't have two banks of cylinders.
Originally Posted by Debonair
Searching will help you find "Pics Of Location Of Oxygen Sensors"
I handed that one to you.

Pics Of Location Of Oxygen Sensors

And the I6 does have two banks.
Old 08-10-09, 02:38 PM
Kytann
Rookie

Originally Posted by Debonair
I handed that one to you.

Pics Of Location Of Oxygen Sensors

And the I6 does have two banks.
Thanks alot, those pics really help!!! Exactly what I was looking for.

In hindsight, yes you did hand that one too me. Should been more observant and noticed the quotes.

Also, I stand corrected on the I6, it does have two exhaust banks. Must have to do with exhaust scavenging, like how on a 4-cylinder sport bike it makes sense to have the collector as a 4 into 2 into 1, rather than a 4 into 1.

Upon examination of the part, it's been mashed up at an angle and no longer comes straight outta the exhaust pipe.
I think what happened is when I had the car jacked up I had a 2x4 chunk in between the jack and the frame rail, and when I let it down off the jack that board got all ****-eyed and musta bent it. Seems like it happened just before the light came on.
Therefore I've got a replacement sensor on order from Rockauto for less than half what the dealership charges.
Thanks guys