GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What do you guys think about oem bras?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-08, 06:37 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default What do you guys think about oem bras?

I just recently started to commute in a highly commercial driven (lots of bigrigs and crappy roads) area and washed my car a few days ago and notice several chips. Some almost as large as 1/4". Besides a clear bra, i just picked up an oem lexus gs bra and was wondering what fellow enthousiast felt about this. Would like to hear opinions as to looks, how well it works and if it damages your cars paint in any way. Thanks as always Cyco

Last edited by SoCal Cyco; 08-18-09 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-23-08, 08:13 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your front end is getting chipped, put on the bra on weekdays and take it off on weekends.

just think about how much it would cost to repaint the front end..

yes people may think it looks goofy but it's serves a purpose.
Old 07-23-08, 08:48 PM
Hectorm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will like to install one on my car. Was recently painted and noticed several small chips too.
About the bra, it depends if the color match the car color.
Ex: a blk bra with a blk car seems ok
Please post where did you find yours.
Old 07-23-08, 09:19 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not a fan but sometimes you do what you have to do.
Old 07-23-08, 10:05 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you considered a clear bra?
Old 07-23-08, 10:10 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

i have an oem bra somewhere. im gonna put that on when im making the trip from houston to austin to protect my car
Old 07-23-08, 10:54 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Haven't seen how a oem bra would look like on a Gs. But if you don't mind it go for it. I have a clear bra on mine and it works wonderful.
Old 07-23-08, 11:40 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

did u put on the clear bra urself? was it hard to do? i would think it's like tinting the windows?
Old 07-24-08, 12:56 AM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

ok, how much for the clear bra, i just got a sec to look at previous posts and aparently it is the way to go. BUT what if i already have the chips and am not willing to repaint the front bumper and mainly my hood. and i have seen the clear bras and, i hope no ine gets mad at me but i can see a difference in the color(up close given) on the car. still not sure what to do. i could keep it for long trips (as my dad and friends do in thier exspensive porsches and benzes do) or what. i know it looks somewhat ugly ok ugly but what the heck i am getting HUGE chips. how well do the clear bras work against boulders (large road gravel) in keeping the paint intact? thanks again for for input.
cyco
Old 07-24-08, 12:59 AM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

ps, it is a oem brand new bra, if you search you can find pix, my ride is silver and the bra is black
Old 07-24-08, 02:42 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you are going to use a traditional bra on your car, be sure it's clean before you put it on for a long trip. a traditional car bra can collect dirt and other grit while you're driving and the bra can shift or flutter and grind this dirt/grit into your paint job.

I know that sounds crazy but this is an issue that is talked about on other forums as well.

http://www.camarosource.ca/forums/vi...?f=51&p=135527

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question...0045618AAa9NSU

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-ma...rand-best.html

c.
Old 07-24-08, 10:48 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-24-08, 01:35 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by swat1727
did u put on the clear bra urself? was it hard to do? i would think it's like tinting the windows?
No i didn't put the clear bra on myself. It was on the car when i bought it. I'm pretty sure it's easy to put on though.
Old 07-24-08, 01:53 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
ok, how much for the clear bra, i just got a sec to look at previous posts and aparently it is the way to go. BUT what if i already have the chips and am not willing to repaint the front bumper and mainly my hood. and i have seen the clear bras and, i hope no ine gets mad at me but i can see a difference in the color(up close given) on the car. still not sure what to do. i could keep it for long trips (as my dad and friends do in thier exspensive porsches and benzes do) or what. i know it looks somewhat ugly ok ugly but what the heck i am getting HUGE chips. how well do the clear bras work against boulders (large road gravel) in keeping the paint intact? thanks again for for input.
cyco
I'm not sure how much the clear bras are but i was lucky enough to have one on mines when i bought it. All i can say is original paint on hood and it looks, if not perfect. You can kinda tell where rock had hit on the clear bra but nothing noticeable and no chips at all. I would recommend it to anyone.
Old 07-24-08, 02:03 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I need to repaint my bumper and hood before getting a clear bra. Only thing that bothers me is that over time, it could turn yellow since I have a pearl white GS4. How long have you guy with clear bras had it on your cars?

Quick Reply: What do you guys think about oem bras?