Embarrassing, coilovers noise when turning

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-16, 11:19 AM
Mr.Gs_GTE
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Embarrassing, coilovers noise when turning

Hey guys,
I've been experiencing this loud squeal, ongoing squeaky noise coming from my LF wheel. I notice it every time I turn my steering wheel, doesn't matter what direction. It's so loud I get embarrassed to make turns from a stop at a light. It only happened with load on the wheel/ wheels on the ground. I tried diagnosing it by removing my LF wheel, supporting the lower control arm and turning the wheel to see where it is coming from, but didn't help. Couldn't get it to squeak. It would be go away for a min or two after lifting the front of the car but come right back. Have you guys experienced this? I have a set of Megan LP coilovers on the car:/
Old 05-26-16, 12:43 PM
skytechja
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so when the car is lifted and you turn the wheel, you dont hear any noise.... interesting...

once ur heading straight .. no noise right ?
Old 05-27-16, 07:16 AM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That would be your strut bearing.
Old 05-27-16, 07:50 AM
Mr.Gs_GTE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by skytechja
so when the car is lifted and you turn the wheel, you dont hear any noise.... interesting...

once ur heading straight .. no noise right ?
That is correct.
Old 05-27-16, 08:53 AM
Mr.Gs_GTE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mandrake
That would be your strut bearing.
It little while ago I took the struck apart apart thinking it was the struct top, but there isn't much to a bearing in there. I had things lubbed up and the notice went away a little but I can still hear it at low speeds in the parking lot. However I had all of my control arms replaced months prior to the noise I'm not sure if it's coming from that. Been working on a swap project so I really haven't had time to dig into it.
Old 05-27-16, 11:34 AM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Gs_GTE
It little while ago I took the struck apart apart thinking it was the struct top, but there isn't much to a bearing in there. I had things lubbed up and the notice went away a little but I can still hear it at low speeds in the parking lot. However I had all of my control arms replaced months prior to the noise I'm not sure if it's coming from that. Been working on a swap project so I really haven't had time to dig into it.
I looked up your coilovers and it looks like they have spherical bearings aka pillowball bearing strut mounts. Those are notorious for being noisy and that's why OE has a rubber strut mount. You definitely have a bad spherical bearing though. You can just keep it lubricated and keep riding on it but eventually it's going to start clunking over speed bumps etc.