GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Alternator problem: no battery lamp, new alternator burnt?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-14, 12:32 AM
rakett
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator problem: no battery lamp, new alternator burnt?

Hello.
I've recently bought me a 1996 gs300, and it had a charging problem.

The battery lamp in the dash will never light up, thats strange, and I though it would be the alternator.

The old one was VERY worn out, brushes was out and the shaft was totally worned to, brushes had made 2millimeter deep into the shaft because of mileage/wear

I was sure that was the error, and replaced with another alternator from a 2jz gte engine I had...
Then, starting up the lexus, the first thing I noticed was a burnt electrical smell!!
(I checked the replacement alternator, brushes was nice and the shaft was like new, very little wear)...
The replacement alternator was getting hot too, so hot I couldnt hold my hand at it...
With the replacement alternator, the battery voltage was 11,8 volt

Is my new alternator ****ed too ?? Whats the problem? It smelled burnt! With the new alternator, still no batterylamp, even with ignition on, and engine not running. Also, I took out the instrument cluster and checked the battery light bulb - it works. The bulb is ok.

What is this? There was some oil contamination in both alternators...

But there have to be something serious? Too damn bad if the replacement alternator is ****ed..

Hoping for advice!

The car is sold new in Dubai,

Greeting from norway
Old 08-20-14, 04:11 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Common problem on the 2jzge motors is oil leaking from the distributor (o-ring) onto the alternators and ruining them. Try a new unit and see if it fixes the issue. Also check that the grounding points all have a good connection especially the negative battery cable.
Old 08-20-14, 04:34 AM
rakett
Driver School Candidate

but why did the replacement alternator, which was in very good condition when I checked it before installation, why did it got very hot and smelled burned electronics? Never happened to me before..

I had a BMW e30 with 2 similiar problems: first, a very light glow in battery lamp. After a good effort of troubleshooting, it turned out to be a poor connetion from alternator + to battery +

Then, with the same car, but another engine, no charging, no batterylamp. Turned out to be alternator.

And now, a lexus, and alternator is almost frying???? gets hot as ****! and no battery lamp ?
The lamp glows slightly when I crank engine, but thats all I see to it.
The unit I tried was almost like new, but still this was the alternator that smelled burned. I dont want to cook another unit, have anyone been into something similiar? Will be to expensive frying alternators all the time.

That said, I could drive for 2 hours with a newly charged battery and the old alternator... before battery got flat
???

Last edited by rakett; 08-20-14 at 04:49 AM.
Old 08-21-14, 12:39 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the oil contamination you mentioned wasn't too bad then maybe a short somewhere in the system. Also, do the pulleys turn freely and are aligned?
Old 08-21-14, 04:05 AM
rakett
Driver School Candidate

yeah, pulleys turn freely and are aligned. Everything is original.

if there was to be a short, will that fry the alternator? hmmm.

One small thing worth mentioning, was that the big + cable going to the alternator touched ground when I took off the old alternator. This was before I disconnected battery, so it short-circuit and sparked...

Is this enough to destroy anything? Fuses etc?