GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Door Lock Actuator, Rear Passenger Door Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-14, 05:38 PM
DJ8684
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Lock Actuator, Rear Passenger Door Install

This isn't a walkthrough or anything... just showing you how I did it on my 1995 GS300. I had posted a previous message on here cause I couldn't figure out how to approach this pain in the butt project. My door actuator was broken and stuck in the locked position. I wasn't able to use the lock tab at all as the lock itself was apparently jammed.... sooo I attempted to remove the bolts that hold the door panel on.

To remove the panel, you need to pop out the door cup around the door handle (it almost feels like you're gonna break it but it pops out with a little force.) Then, I popped out the courtesy light on the bottom with a small screwdriver and unplugged the light. Behind that, there is a screw that holds the panel to the door frame you need to unscrew. After that, I popped out the window switch, disconnected the bulb and switch panel, then underneath that, there is another screw that's the same as the one behind the courtesy light. Finally, there are 2 10mm screws at the bottom of the panel you have to remove. At this point it should pop off, right? Welll.... I still couldn't get it off. After examining the driver side rear door, there is a bumper with a screw in it that you need to remove in the top right of the panel but it is inaccessible with the door closed. Also, I couldn't get any tools in behind the panel to pop out the clips that pop the door in.

So, I then proceeded to go with my last ditch effort and as carefully as I could, pull out the door panel leather part to expose the door behind it. Now, this did end up breaking some of the little plastic tabs that adhere the leather piece to the door panel, but I didn't have much of a choice. Once I was in behind there, I disconnected the door lock and opener cables from the inner door handle. This is what I was left with:

At this point, I had to reach wedge my hand in there and feel for this tab:

That is the actual lock mechanism. When it's installed in the car, the position of the tab should be closer to the door frame than the mechanism. That means it will be in the unlock position. My problem was that it was stuck in the lock position and wouldn't budge. I tried to slide it with my thumb as far as I could but didn't have much luck. My last ditch effort had me take a pair of pliers and basically clamp down on the end of the cable that goes into the inner door handle and pull as hard as a I could. I heard a pop and went around to the outside of the door and SHAZAM! it opened!!

From there, I took that door bumper screw off and popped off the panel and this is what I was left with:

Now this is the after picture but at least you'll see what you're working with. There are 3 torque bit screws that you need to remove on the front of the door after removing the plastic cover with the child safety lock:

From here, you just need to wiggle the door lock actuator loose, unplug the electrical connector, and maneuver it out. Now, I did loosen the 2 bolts holding the outer door handle to the door to give myself a little more wiggle room, but you do not have to remove the door handle at all or even touch the window motor regulator.

Finally, take it out and this is just a side by side comparison of the old and new regulators:

Now, it was a pain in the butt to maneuver it back it but it will go in with patience. Once it's in, I just installed everything in reverse order to how they came out. The last step that I did was Gorilla Super Glue those little plastic tabs I broke to adhere the card back together and wooalah!

A fully functional door!

Last edited by DJ8684; 09-27-14 at 04:01 PM.