Auto button on climate control causes Compressor to stop

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-08, 10:33 PM
amart79196
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto button on climate control causes Compressor to stop

Hey guys,
I was test driving my car as it really isnt on the road just yet....i just purchased the car and am trying to work out the bugs in the car. I noticed that when I have the temp set to 65 degrees and push the "AUTO" button, it will turn on the a/c and the gree light above the a/c button will be SOLID and cold air will flow. The fan speed will also automatically change from off to the highest speed by itself. This will all happen when I hit the AUTO button.

My problem happens once I start to drive the car a bit...all of a sudden the compressor will shut itself off (I can tell this by pulling over and looking at the compressor) but most notible change is that it will blow warmish (Its still the summer) air and the little green light above the A/C button on the climate control deck which was once SOLID green is now BLINKING??

I used the search button on this forum and have spent over an hour searching for an answer and am now exhausted and need some help from the experts here!!

Thanks in advance for any help that you may have to offer in helping me identify and resolve my problem.
Old 08-26-08, 10:25 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amart79196
Hey guys,
I was test driving my car as it really isnt on the road just yet....i just purchased the car and am trying to work out the bugs in the car. I noticed that when I have the temp set to 65 degrees and push the "AUTO" button, it will turn on the a/c and the gree light above the a/c button will be SOLID and cold air will flow. The fan speed will also automatically change from off to the highest speed by itself. This will all happen when I hit the AUTO button.

My problem happens once I start to drive the car a bit...all of a sudden the compressor will shut itself off (I can tell this by pulling over and looking at the compressor) but most notible change is that it will blow warmish (Its still the summer) air and the little green light above the A/C button on the climate control deck which was once SOLID green is now BLINKING??

I used the search button on this forum and have spent over an hour searching for an answer and am now exhausted and need some help from the experts here!!

Thanks in advance for any help that you may have to offer in helping me identify and resolve my problem.

I am experiencing the same DARN THING and I haven't checked the AC yet since this started about 3 days ago.... I think it could possibly be 2 things:

1.- The fans are going kabloey or there is something wrong with the circuit (temp sensor or connector, etc...)

2.- The compressor is loosing pressure and this toggles the AC to turn off; there is a safety cutoff that whenevr the compressor pressure goes below a certain pressure it shuts off....

If anyone else have more ideas please let me know this sucks not having AC
Old 08-29-08, 02:17 PM
amart79196
Driver School Candidate

i have come to realize that if I run the a/c manually, not using the AUTO button that it will work without any problems.
I am now wondering if it is:

-the electronic control on the dash
OR
-a senor (if one exists)

Does anyone have any INFO on the sensor system on this? When the climate control system breaks, does this happen?
Old 09-02-08, 10:05 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

I figured it out what was my problem: a bad ground on the compressor! this problem has to be something electrical... that is definitive. Check the grounds in the compresor. There are 2 grounds, one by the connector and another one under the compressor. Check both of them. Also make sure the AC relay is in working condition! In my case after reconnecting the ground and adding about one more can of freon my AC is up and running working better than ever!!!

I hope this is helpfull to ya!
Old 09-03-08, 07:07 PM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

Had this problem. I had a stereo system and electric fans. Not enough power to run them all or bad grounds. I went through the grounds under the hood against the fenders, sanded to bare metal and reconnected. I also got a decent battery and an upgraded alt. If you turn the key to on while pressing the auto button and the recirculate/fresh air button, the control unit will flash and give codes. See what they are and I can tell you what it's saying. I'm betting it's the same as mine.
Old 09-04-08, 09:43 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Wow I should have known that Kaiser! I remember there was a post aboutall the codes and stuff... It would be nice if someone would post tjhose codes or a PDF with them
Old 09-06-08, 09:36 AM
amart79196
Driver School Candidate

Default code 43

looks like it throws a code 43. I know my a/c compressor works well and the a/c compressor switch is also working perfectly. Looks to be like something else. Not sure what this Code 43 is all about. Any ideas?
Old 09-06-08, 01:06 PM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

Code 43 air outlet damper position sensor value does not change even if ac control assembly operates air outlet damper control servomotor.

Trouble areas Air damper control servo
air outlet damper position sensor
harness between AC control and sensor
Ac control assembly
Old 09-07-08, 08:52 AM
amart79196
Driver School Candidate

Kaiser,
I very very much appreciate the answer, but am totally lost.
Please let me know if I have this correct...it can be anything that you listed?
If so, then it really doesn't rule out anything...unless it is and I am missing it. Sorry to not be very sharp. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-07-08, 03:34 PM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

Sorry, in a hurry on that last post and didn't have time to expand on it. Basically, it's having trouble shifting between the face,bi-level and foot settings that are dictated by temperature.

Here is how to check the actuator:

Go to check mode like you did before. Then press the fresh air recirculate button again. It should cycle through the temperatures and change where the air flow is directed. I tested it and it worked.
Old 09-08-08, 07:46 AM
amart79196
Driver School Candidate

yes, i tested that and it seems to work just fine. It will cycle thru tests 20-29.
All seems in working order.
The original issue still exists that I can't get the AUTO a/c to remain on as it will work for a few minutes, then, the green light above the A/C button will begin to flash indicating that the A/C has shut off.

Under normal operation, the A/C runs perfectly--(under manual setting--not auto).
Old 09-08-08, 07:51 PM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

You need to improve your grounding or charging system. It's what fixed both mine and Kid's. What worked best for me was the two spots on the inner fenders that have four white with black stripe wires. Unbolt, sand to bare metal and bolt back in.