ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Eco/Normal?Sport Moods?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-14, 06:20 AM
out2wn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eco/Normal?Sport Moods?

What exactly do these driving moods do? Does it changeor affect the vehicle's reaction when you apply the gas pedal? How does this affect mpg? I'm averaging between 21- 22 mpg with 1000 miles on the car. This is in the ECO mood. I expected better mpg. Hopefully it gets better.
Old 10-13-14, 07:50 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

The Eco, Normal, and Sport modes primarily change two things.

First, they change the transmission shift points. So, for example, in the Eco mode, the transmission will shift to a higher gear sooner than it will in the Normal mode, and, in the Normal mode, it will shift to a higher gear sooner than in Sport mode. When the transmission is operating a greater percentage of the time in a higher gear, that can be a major factor in improving fuel economy.

Also, which mode is used changes the operation of the climate control system. In the Eco mode, the AC compressor will be used the least, and, in the Sport mode, it will be used the most.

I also believe that, in the Sport mode, steering response is changed with the ES300h, but I don't think that this applies to the ES350.

That said, the two major factors that determine the level of fuel economy are, without question, where you drive and how you drive. For example, my overall actually calculated fuel economy with my ES350 over the 16 months that I've owned it has been a bit over 32 mpg, but I do very little driving in stop-and-go conditions, and my overall driving style is conservative. While I do most of my driving in the Eco mode, if I drive conservatively in the Normal or Sport modes, my fuel economy in those modes will be better than if I drive aggressively in the Eco mode. If, on the other hand, my driving style is the same in the Eco mode and the Normal mode, I'll get about 1-2 mpg better in the Eco mode.
Old 10-13-14, 08:38 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 680 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I also believe that, in the Sport mode, steering response is changed with the ES300h, but I don't think that this applies to the ES350.
It does apply to the 350.

I drive mainly in Sport mode. When I was driving it daily, I averaged slightly below 26mpg's. That was about 50mi/day round trip, in some stop and go traffic, but mostly average speed of 45mph. I don't even bother looking at my mileage now, since I haven't filled up for a few months.
Old 10-13-14, 09:55 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

In the Eco mode, the AC compressor will be used the least, and, in the Sport mode, it will be used the most.
Just a small correction. There is no difference in AC compressor usage between Normal and Sport modes. It is only changed in Eco mode, where as you correctly noted, it is reduced.
Old 10-13-14, 07:10 PM
GrumpyDave
Driver School Candidate

Eco/Normal/Sport modes also changes the throttle response curve. In eco mode the accelerator is less responsive but easier to maintain a smooth speed. In sport mode the throttle curve is stronger and more sensitive. It doesn't make the car any faster or slower, it just changes how far you have to mash the pedal to get the same engine response. After seeing how much the mpg bounces with slight foot pressure just maintaining a steady pace I switched to eco mode full time and now I actually favor it over the others.

Also, my understanding is the modes don't have any effect on steering on the ES350. I asked my dealer that specifically and they said it doesn't. And if it does, I certainly can't feel it.
Old 10-14-14, 05:52 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GrumpyDave
Also, my understanding is the modes don't have any effect on steering on the ES350. I asked my dealer that specifically and they said it doesn't. And if it does, I certainly can't feel it.
Weird, It's very noticeable on mine. The wheel gets much stiffer.
Old 10-14-14, 07:05 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike728
Over the last year and a half, I've read conflicting information about whether steering response is changed in the Sport mode with the ES350 or whether it just changes in the ES300h. What I've read in Lexus documentation hasn't been clear, and, in forum posts, some ES350 owners seem to be convinced that there is a difference, and others are convinced that there isn't. I suspect that the power of suggestion, for people in both groups, causes them to "see", what they believe is happening. For what it is worth, if there is a difference in steering response in Sport mode, I'm in the group that doesn't notice that there is.

In either case, I think that the reality is that, with regard to mode choice affecting fuel economy, the major effect comes from changes in transmission behavior, and climate control changes have some smaller effect. Whether or not steering response changes in the Sport mode shouldn't be a factor in determining the level of fuel economy.

Last edited by lesz; 10-14-14 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-14-14, 07:52 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Over the last year and a half, I've read conflicting information about whether steering response is changed in the Sport mode with the ES350 or whether it just changes in the ES300h. What I've read in Lexus documentation hasn't been clear,
Seems pretty clear in the 350 manual (pg46/PDF pg25): LINK

Anyways, I was one who didn't notice it at first. It's very obvious if you hold the bottom of the wheel and slightly move it right and left. Not to the point of actually steering the vehicle, just checking the play in the wheel. It's much stiffer when in Sport mode.
Old 10-14-14, 10:03 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts

this is the same on mine(ES350). There is a distinct difference in the steering feel/response between the modes. I'd be surprised if someone couldn't tell.
Old 10-14-14, 06:48 PM
GrumpyDave
Driver School Candidate

I stand corrected. Page 300 of my owner's manual says:

"Sport mode assists acceleration response by controlling the steering and transmission."

I'll have to do some hands on testing because I've never noticed it before. However, I've still grown to prefer the smoother throttle response of Eco mode so I doubt I'll change just for the steering adjustment.
Old 10-15-14, 06:36 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GrumpyDave
I stand corrected. Page 300 of my owner's manual says:

"Sport mode assists acceleration response by controlling the steering and transmission."

I'll have to do some hands on testing because I've never noticed it before. However, I've still grown to prefer the smoother throttle response of Eco mode so I doubt I'll change just for the steering adjustment.
After driving my 14 ES the first 650 miles in "normal" mode I finally decided to switch to "Eco" and must say I agree with you regarding the smoothness of the throttle response and ALSO transmission shifting. Looks like I'm an "Eco" convert with my particular driving style!
Old 10-15-14, 09:38 AM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It seems the the transition is more noticeable to me when I switch back down to ECO from Sport than when the other way around but I can perceive a slight difference.
Old 10-15-14, 02:50 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Seems pretty clear in the 350 manual (pg46/PDF pg25): LINK
Thanks for the reference in the manual. And I'll assume that the manual is correct and that steering response does change with use of the Sport mode (even though I know that the manual is not correct about several features/operations on the ES).

When I said that documentation from Lexus is not clear, I wasn't referring to what the manual says. Instead, I recall having read other Lexus documents that conflict with what the manual says about Sport mode and steering response for the ES350, but I can't remember what those other documents where, and my memory about what they said could well be incorrect.
Old 10-15-14, 03:54 PM
GrumpyDave
Driver School Candidate

I remember reading in some reviews that the steering was not affected on the ES. My dealer also told me the same. However, I can now say that mine is.

I did as Mike728 suggested and slightly weaved left and right as I switched modes. I could feel the difference. I drove a bit in sport mode and have to say it's not really a significant difference to my driving experience. Especially since the roads here are straight and flat. Eco mode does make a difference, for me, so I'll stick with.

I do wish I could get sport mode steering with eco mode throttle curve and transmission shifting.