IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Gas milage, 0-60 in different IS drive modes

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-17, 07:00 AM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Gas milage, 0-60 in different IS drive modes

Are MPG and 0-60 times reported in the normal mode?
Do the eco-normal-sport settings influence these specs?
Old 12-29-17, 07:10 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by RKSTRAT
I'd expect the 0-60 times as well as gas mileage are reported based on ideal conditions. For 0-60, I would guess that would be with traction control off, in manual shift mode. I don't think Sport would have a noticeable effect on acceleration - if you floor it, it's going to give you all it's got either way.

In terms of MPG, probably would be best in the Eco mode. Sport probably doesn't have a big impact on MPG - it mainly just changes the throttle response and transmission shift points. When cruising, it will still use the highest gear possible. However, manual shift mode will definitely change some things, since it is more reluctant to engage the torque converter (try cruising along at 60 MPH in sixth gear and mash the gas - no downshift, no torque converter engagement!). I couldn't say whether it would be an increase or decrease in MPG.

Honestly, Lexus's numbers they quote are, unlike some auto-makers, best-case scenario numbers. You would need very good conditions to pull off a 6.1-second sprint to 60 MPH in an IS 300 AWD, for example. I used two methods of measuring - a GPS-based app on my phone and just reviewing video timestamps - and the best I managed in my tests back when the car was new-ish was about 6.3 seconds, on a 50-degree F evening with a half-tank of fuel, on a regular asphalt road, not a track. That's about as average as it gets for conditions, and would more accurately represent what you could do IRL.
The following users liked this post:
RKSTRAT (12-29-17)
Old 12-29-17, 07:26 AM
Dreamcast
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
In terms of MPG, probably would be best in the Eco mode. Sport probably doesn't have a big impact on MPG - it mainly just changes the throttle response and transmission shift points. When cruising, it will still use the highest gear possible. However, manual shift mode will definitely change some things, since it is more reluctant to engage the torque converter (try cruising along at 60 MPH in sixth gear and mash the gas - no downshift, no torque converter engagement!). I couldn't say whether it would be an increase or decrease in MPG.
I notice the RPM is significantly lower in ECO mode. I would have thought this would make a big difference. Haven't actually tested it but if not i might as well drive in normal or sport.

My IS350 I average 15.5L/100KM which is 18.22 MPG. Mostly suburban driving and using premium fuel but overall pretty poor in my opinion. No matter how I drive I cant get anywhere near Lexus' rating let alone 22 MPG that some people report.
Old 12-29-17, 07:55 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamcast
I notice the RPM is significantly lower in ECO mode. I would have thought this would make a big difference. Haven't actually tested it but if not i might as well drive in normal or sport.

My IS350 I average 15.5L/100KM which is 18.22 MPG. Mostly suburban driving and using premium fuel but overall pretty poor in my opinion. No matter how I drive I cant get anywhere near Lexus' rating let alone 22 MPG that some people report.
The only time I see over 20 in my IS 300 AWD is if I do a significant amount of highway driving, like if I actually need to leave the KC metro area. I did a day trip consisting of about 8 hours of mostly highway driving, and I saw my average for a tank of fuel that day climb to about 27. But again, that was 90% highway driving, other than a bit of mountain road fun driving.

I find that in city/suburban driving in winter, I mostly see about 18 or so MPG. :/
Old 12-29-17, 08:17 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,569 Posts

Your RPM might be higher in sport vs. eco and vise versa because the transmission logic is such that eco upshifts quicker (rate wise) and as much as possible while sport holds gears longer and will use gear 6 at highway speeds vs. eco/normal going to 7 and 8 as fast as possible. The intent of sport is to keep your transmission "poised and ready" so you can accelerate quicker. doing so lowers your economy.

as said, as in with most (if not all) cars, the modes do not affect outright straight line acceleration once the pedal is planted. 100% throttle is 100% throttle.
Old 12-29-17, 10:27 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Mostly suburban driving is city driving. You are close to the 19 mpg reported for city driving, but that's for the 350. I still haven't seen close to the 28 hwy, but I also don't drive 65 in eco mode.
Old 12-29-17, 12:15 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts

i get 17 mpg in my IS300 but i also have a heavy foot and like to drive the car the way it’s meant to be driven
Old 12-29-17, 01:08 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by jmull3r
i get 17 mpg in my IS300 but i also have a heavy foot and like to drive the car the way it’s meant to be driven
I get 18 mpg and I mostly drive on the highway. I only get about 22 mpgs on the highway since I have a lead foot. Have to get my daily triple in

Last edited by EZZ; 12-29-17 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-29-17, 02:34 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by RKSTRAT
Slightly, marginal differences.

I have a IS350 fsport. With a full tank commute, 75% hwy. I average about 24mpg combined with ECO mode. This mode keeps you in lower RPMs and decreases throttle response to essentially save fuel.

Can't say much about normal and sport and its MPG. I don't really use it much lol.
Old 12-29-17, 08:45 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

In my car, if i drive in Sport or Sport+ modes at highway speeds, the transmission will rarely go into 7th or 8th gears.....
I'm gonna say cruising at around 75MPH, i'm in 6th gear, close to 3K RPM...
Old 01-07-18, 08:53 AM
fflores
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as said by others, it doesn't appear that the modes change engine performance, it appears to change the application of the gears and when they shift. I have owned the car for about 2 months and was interested in how these modes worked so I would spend time driving or using each modes for specific tanks of gas out of curiosity. As described by others, in eco and in snow mode, it will upshift as soon as it can which more so in snow mode actually. In sports mode, it will keep the engines rpm elevated and the gearing ready to go. Obviously one driving style really comes into play here on how aggressive your application of the throttle.

City MPG = 19-21mpg
Side note here, sitting at red lights really hampers your mpg. In another thread someone mentioned putting the car into neutral and turning it off. When you do this the car radio doesn't turn off, the head lights remain on, the car heater/ac turns off. you can turn the car back on as usual while still in neutral and then continue driving. I haven't done this too much but it would give you a more accurate mpg number based on actually engine performance and not on fuel consumption vs distance.

highway driving is 25-28mpg, but if I baby it, and I keep it at 60, I seems to be the best gearing for the speed, I have gotten 32-35 mpg, but there are so many other factors that come into play at that speed. Here in the Chicagoland area, it is dangerous to drive on the highway at that low of a speed. Usually you end up behind semi trucks at that speed and drafting then comes into play and skew mpg numbers.
The following users liked this post:
jmull3r (01-07-18)
Old 01-07-18, 11:05 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by fflores
as said by others, it doesn't appear that the modes change engine performance, it appears to change the application of the gears and when they shift. I have owned the car for about 2 months and was interested in how these modes worked so I would spend time driving or using each modes for specific tanks of gas out of curiosity. As described by others, in eco and in snow mode, it will upshift as soon as it can which more so in snow mode actually. In sports mode, it will keep the engines rpm elevated and the gearing ready to go. Obviously one driving style really comes into play here on how aggressive your application of the throttle.

City MPG = 19-21mpg
Side note here, sitting at red lights really hampers your mpg. In another thread someone mentioned putting the car into neutral and turning it off. When you do this the car radio doesn't turn off, the head lights remain on, the car heater/ac turns off. you can turn the car back on as usual while still in neutral and then continue driving. I haven't done this too much but it would give you a more accurate mpg number based on actually engine performance and not on fuel consumption vs distance.

highway driving is 25-28mpg, but if I baby it, and I keep it at 60, I seems to be the best gearing for the speed, I have gotten 32-35 mpg, but there are so many other factors that come into play at that speed. Here in the Chicagoland area, it is dangerous to drive on the highway at that low of a speed. Usually you end up behind semi trucks at that speed and drafting then comes into play and skew mpg numbers.
I can attest that highway driving between 75-100 mph with judicial use of throttle nets about 22 mpg

Ive learned to ignore mpg for my own sanity
Old 01-07-18, 01:18 PM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Think of it as smiles per gallon and you won't be so sad
Old 01-13-18, 03:56 PM
F7LTHYIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, at least you're 15.5L/100KM. I'm from Vancouver and I'm getting currently 17.5-18L/100KM .. Also, our gas price is ripping my butt. I barely on the throttle to see if i can get it lower but it just keep going up..
Old 01-14-18, 01:52 AM
Dreamcast
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by F7LTHYIS
Hey, at least you're 15.5L/100KM. I'm from Vancouver and I'm getting currently 17.5-18L/100KM .. Also, our gas price is ripping my butt. I barely on the throttle to see if i can get it lower but it just keep going up..
It might be your driving style and it seems urban driving is really bad for fuel consumption in the IS350. I did see 13L/100km after some highway driving so I think it's not an issue with the car or anything.

Now i just turn off meter to save myself some grey hairs and settle with refueling more often.

Quick Reply: Gas milage, 0-60 in different IS drive modes