ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Mod - integrate Garmin GPS into the Sunvisor

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-14, 09:05 PM
GCL
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mod - integrate Garmin GPS into the Sunvisor

Although I have an in-dash GPS in the vehicle, I have always liked Garmin Nuvi’s for their superior routing algorithms, more current points-of-interests, and ease of timely map updating. Garmin’s are just so easy-to-use.

I like operating the Garmin together with my in-dash GPS because the in-dash GPS’s instructions mute the music (rather than overdubbing the music), so it’s very disruptive and jarring. I just set the destination with the Nuvi, and then use the larger 7” in-dash screen for map viewing.

I decided to integrate a Garmin Nuvi 40 into my sunvisor. I don’t have pictures of my build progress because there was lots of trial and error – and restarts. I worked on it off-and-on over a couple of months.

I had to take apart the sunvisor’s light panel; dremel out a screen opening; then take apart the Nuvi40; create a custom super low-profile right-angle USB power connector; take apart the Garmin cigarette adapter; and then put everything together.

It’s a lot of work and more of a “mod challenge” for me than anything else. It's not for everyone, but I like it.

Insides of the sunvisor mod

All flush fit

Finished product!
Old 08-25-14, 09:10 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Neat, but kind of dumb at the same time...

You could've bought an ES with the 'base' radio and gotten a new-ish Pioneer HU, which mostly run the garmin software...

Much easier, cleaner, and better result with 7" screen instead of a 4.3"

... just saying.
Old 08-25-14, 09:17 PM
GCL
Driver

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Neat, but kind of dumb at the same time...

You could've bought an ES with the 'base' radio and gotten a new-ish Pioneer HU, which mostly run the garmin software...

Much easier, cleaner, and better result with 7" screen instead of a 4.3"

... just saying.

As I said, I already have an in-dash GPS unit with a 7" screen. Pioneer HU do not give me the clean dash look - they always look "aftermarket" to me.
Old 08-26-14, 05:14 AM
SICK350
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think u do good work, again good idea GCL! But u gotta admit this looks pretty clean lol.
Attached Thumbnails Mod - integrate Garmin GPS into the Sunvisor-image.jpg  
Old 08-26-14, 07:09 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Interesting project and it looks pretty good.

When we got our first car with integrated navigation, I still carried our Garmin in the car "just in case". Of what, I'm not sure of, but in hindsight it was like wearing a belt AND suspenders.
Old 08-26-14, 08:53 AM
GCL
Driver

Originally Posted by SICK350
I think u do good work, again good idea GCL! But u gotta admit this looks pretty clean lol.
OK. That's pretty clean! That double din works.
Old 08-28-14, 09:29 AM
unklexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's pretty darn neat visor add-on. And close enough so that you can see the (blocky) details on the nav screen very easily. Looks like a factory install. Cool project!
Old 08-28-14, 12:55 PM
GCL
Driver

Originally Posted by unklexus
I think it's pretty darn neat visor add-on. And close enough so that you can see the (blocky) details on the nav screen very easily. Looks like a factory install. Cool project!
Thanks. I just tested it live yesterday.

I get excellent satellite reception (and no hanging power cords). I also like Garmin Nuvi's because they automatically power on and off with the ignition.

If I stop for gas and turn off the car, they also automatically remember the previous destination and continue on, once I restart the car again. I'm not sure if other portable GPS units do that automatically. I have 4 other GPS portables - all Garmins. This Nuvi 40 was one that I had lying around.

The viewing angle is also good enough that I can still view the screen when I push the visor forward.
Old 08-28-14, 05:34 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice installation. I am a chauffeur and run sometimes three gps at same time. My Tom Tom, the Lincoln in dash unit and maps on my Android phone. The majority of time, they will specify three different routes to the same address. Once, the Lincoln one had me going from Mineola, Long Island to Scranton PA through midtown Manhattan. Shortest, yes but time no.
Old 08-29-14, 08:18 PM
GrnIdKjun
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks great! I really like Garmin as well and keep one.
Old 11-05-14, 08:40 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey GCL any chance you could post how exactly to do this? I believe that something like this has the possibility of getting popular for CL members without the stock nav option. Its also in a more visible area than where a double din kit would place the screen. I also like the stealth look of it.
Might do this in one of my old cars.
Old 11-05-14, 09:49 PM
GCL
Driver

Originally Posted by xanderES
Hey GCL any chance you could post how exactly to do this? I believe that something like this has the possibility of getting popular for CL members without the stock nav option. Its also in a more visible area than where a double din kit would place the screen. I also like the stealth look of it.
Might do this in one of my old cars.
Yeah, OK. I post an update next week or so.