ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

What am I misisng? Iphone 4 Contacts NON-NAVI "add by phone"

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-11, 07:54 PM
JoeZ34
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What am I misisng? Iphone 4 Contacts NON-NAVI "add by phone"

I just bought a 2011 ES350 (NO NAVIGATION) and I am trying to figure out the "add by phone" method to the car's phone book.

I have an iPhone4 (jailbroken) and when I get the car to a point where it says begin transfer... (over and over again) I can't figure out what to do on the iPhone to push the contact to the car.

I am starting to think that the iPhone simply does not have this feature, or maybe I just missed it. My phone is JailBroken so if someone found a Cydia app for this please let me know!

Also is there any way to get to the iPhone's native voice commands from the car? In my old car I had a Parrot bluetooth adaptor hooked to the radio and when I pressed the talk button it would switch the iphone to voice dialing.

Thanks in advance for the help

-Joe
Old 05-12-11, 04:21 PM
Brklynesq
Driver School Candidate

I went to my lexus dealer's new owner's orientation last week and one of the techs told me that iPhones don't possesses the ability to push it's contacts into Lexus' phonebook.
Old 05-12-11, 06:01 PM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

what Brklynesq said.

non of the iphone4's are fully capable with lexus, lexus is still in the process of figuring out the tweeks of it. the transfer of phonebook is a definite fail, i know some iphones especially the verizon ones will not connect with the bluetooth on the lexus RX. i know a bunch of lexus customers have called the 1-800-25-LEXUS number and left a note with the customer service line and i believe they are making a list of the complaints. i say just do call them and they'll add you to the list, hopefully once the list gets big enough with the problem that they'll make it a priority fix. good lucks though

if you go to: http://lexusbluetooth.letstalk.com/p...tshowdefview=1

it gives a list of what lexus can guarantee will work with it's bluetooth technology.
Old 05-16-11, 05:24 AM
JoeZ34
Driver School Candidate

I did find a work around for this. My old HTC "Tilt" AKA HTC Kaiser 8925 phone runs Windows Mobile 6.5 operating system. I added my contacts to the old phone and paired it with the ES350.
Once paired, I ran the sync process and was able to use the "beam contact" feature on the phone and sent the info to the cars memory.

Not a very efficient way of doing things, but at least the names show on the radio display now when I make a call.

By the way, the key to getting this to work is the phone needs to support Bluetooh OBEX file transfer service. (which the iPhone does not)

Thanks for you help,
Joe
Old 05-18-11, 12:59 PM
Brklynesq
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I am going to try this with my old Motorola Razor.
Old 05-20-11, 08:39 PM
jlarami
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default iPhone 4 pairing and phonebook transfer worked for me !

I bought a Verizon iPhone 4 last week, and was able to pair it with my '11 es350 with no problems.
Transfer of the phone book of 50 contacts took 30 seconds.

Bluetooth audio connected immediately, but the songs played for 10 seconds, then silent for 10 seconds, then played, etc...
Then, for no apparent reason, Bluetooth audio started working properly, and has done so for the last 3 days...

Unfortunately, I just see "Playing" on the nav screen, with no other data displayed at all.
I've had issues with Bluetooth audio on 4 phones I've tried... Oh well!

Now... Can someone tell me why none of the tracks I have on a USB drive play in the order indicated in their tags? I have a separate folder for each artist, and a separate folder for each album under each artist, etc....
Old 06-17-11, 09:24 AM
BCS
Driver School Candidate

Default How did you do it?

Specifically to the prior post - I have the 2009 ES 350 and Verizon iphone 4 and I can't get the phone to pair at all - nevermind download contacts. I need to be able to enter the code that the car is giving me into the phone, but the phone doesn't allow for that step.
Old 07-17-11, 10:08 AM
gkcmilner
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It is unfortunately true that iPhone's cannot transmit contacts via Bluetooth to a non-nav ES 350.
You need to use a phone that gives you the option to beam contacts using Bluetooth. As for a smartphone, Blackberry's, Windows Mobile 6.5, and Android can do it (there are a few others too I believe). There are a lot of older Bluetooth phones that are capable as well.
Old 08-04-11, 11:36 AM
CroNiX
Driver School Candidate

Yes, Apple, in their infinite wisdom, does not allow transferring the whole address book. Good move. It has nothing to do with Lexus and Lexus can't fix it.

The OP mentions he has a jailbroken phone (they all should be...its my phone, let me do what I want with it). Also, the courts have ruled that jailbreaking is NOT illegal...so don't worry there. I have not tried this app yet, but it supposedly opens up bluetooth for iphone and makes it work normally (not just contacts). It may be worth pursuing.

http://www.getceleste.com/