ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

My Thoughts After 1.5 Weeks

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-10, 04:02 PM
zhivuyatut
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaDrive
Is the power sun shade standard on the ES?
No, it is not. As an afterthought, it is quite useless option too.
One can always get a good quality tint, that would serve the same purpose.
Old 07-08-10, 05:00 PM
HondaDrive
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Txwingz
I can pretty much mirror your comment. My wife picked up her new ES350 10 days ago. We left on a trip two days later and now we're back home with about 1200 miles on the car already. We went from a 2009 IS250 to the ES350. Totally different animal but that is what we were looking for. The IS was fun to drive ... very responsive and a real road hugger. But my wife wanted something a bit smoother, a bit larger, and more comfortable. The ES350 is all that. It is extremely comfortable and has lots of leg room both in front and back. Seats are adjustable so many ways that there is just no way you can't find a position you would like. Sound system is great as is pretty much everything else. Now, the CONS in my opinion.

The Navi system is a joke in my opinion. I have a Garmin Zumo GPS that I've had for a while, using it in various vehicles and my motorcycle. It costs about 1/4 what the Nav system in the Lexus costs and it's funtionality is orders of magnitude greater. When we left on the trip, I plowed through the book figuring out things and figured that while the wife was driving, I'd play with it and figure things out. Problem is, while you're moving you really can do very little. If there's a way to turn that "feature" off, I'd sure like to know how. The system is not intuitive at all and doesn't seem to be very current. We were trying to wind our way around to an Olive Garden that has been there for several years. I stopped so that I could do a search, put in Olive Garden and the closest it came up with was 50 miles away. I mean, that's a bit old.

I'm still learning and hopefully I've missed something and it's better then what I've experienced but if not, I am extremely disappointed that I spent that much money for the system. I could just as easily have used my Zumo in the 350. Also, in the IS there was an accessory audio jack that you could use to plug in any MP3 player. Not there on this one. But, there is a USB connection. But, when I tried my MP3 player, it didn't recognize it. The USB works because it charges the player but won't recognize any of the files on it. It will play tunes from a USB memory stick.

Hopefully this forum will help me out as I move forward and learn more about the new car.
I specifically sought the ES without the navigation system. I think it looks nice in the car but not worth the extra money in my opinion. I have navigation in my Toyota Highlander but only because that was the only way I could get the car in silver There was apparently a shortage of silver Limited Highlanders last year. Anyway, the navigation is almost useless because as you mentioned, you have to be stopped to use it. I guess that is a safety feature but there has got to be a better way. I might at some point buy a smaller GPS but for now I will get directions the old fashioned way: Mapquest
Old 07-08-10, 05:20 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by zhivuyatut
No, it is not. As an afterthought, it is quite useless option too.
One can always get a good quality tint, that would serve the same purpose.
IMO the sunshade is one of those nice to haves - Not really a need to have. More often than not I forget to use it.
Old 07-08-10, 06:46 PM
Txwingz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HondaDrive
I specifically sought the ES without the navigation system. I think it looks nice in the car but not worth the extra money in my opinion. I have navigation in my Toyota Highlander but only because that was the only way I could get the car in silver There was apparently a shortage of silver Limited Highlanders last year. Anyway, the navigation is almost useless because as you mentioned, you have to be stopped to use it. I guess that is a safety feature but there has got to be a better way. I might at some point buy a smaller GPS but for now I will get directions the old fashioned way: Mapquest
After I made my post, I did some more looking and discovered that I can do pretty much everything using the voice commands that I would want to do on the screen. Now, it works great setting in my garage ...... on the road it may be different. It is a process however to work through the various menu layers unless you know the commands. I suppose that comes with time and use, but they do work. I'd still like to bypass it and be able to use the screen while moving so we'll see. Someone mentioned the sun shade. Personally, I like it but certainly not a "must have".

Last edited by Txwingz; 07-08-10 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-08-10, 07:34 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
IMO the sunshade is one of those nice to haves - Not really a need to have. More often than not I forget to use it.
I only use it to help protect the interior and rear windshield on sunny days.
Old 07-09-10, 07:07 PM
wetgravity
Driver School Candidate

I've used destination assist while driving and it works, I guess it costs extra and I miss the ability to create a destination while driving in the Acura, but if I actually need the nav to find something I would be pulling over to ask directions anyway or entering in the destination before I leave. If I am mid trip I'll call destination assist and they'll send me the map...but the rear sunshade is somewhat unnecessary. But nice to have?
Old 07-11-10, 03:12 PM
Art3
Driver School Candidate

Default More on Headroom

Originally Posted by racingt
I'm 6'4" and find that Im not cramped at all in my ES. lgb0250, are you sure you're using all of the seat adjustments correctly, including the one that raises and lowers the seats?!
I'm a bit baffled by several of the posts re headroom. I'm 6'5", and I agree with racingt: there's room, plus an inch or two. In fact, I sat in every model at the dealership and found that the ES had the most headroom. Admittedly, this wasn't scientific, and I didn't spend a whole lot of time fiddling and measuring; but I came away believing that the ES was the best fit for us tall folks.
Old 07-11-10, 05:24 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, I all but wrote off the ES because of being 6' 4". I will gave it a test ride for sure.
Thanks for the Info
Old 08-09-10, 03:03 PM
jrj102
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 6'3, and I have several inches of additional headroom unless I put the seat in its highest position, in which case a hat would be an issue. Legroom is definitely not an issue, if I put the seat all the way back I can't reach the pedals without some discomfort. (where I leave the seat there's an inch or two of travel unused.)

Mine is an ultra-lux with the panoramic roof-- I'm wondering if maybe the NON-panoramic moonroof might rob an inch or two of headroom.

Originally Posted by Art3
I'm a bit baffled by several of the posts re headroom. I'm 6'5", and I agree with racingt: there's room, plus an inch or two. In fact, I sat in every model at the dealership and found that the ES had the most headroom. Admittedly, this wasn't scientific, and I didn't spend a whole lot of time fiddling and measuring; but I came away believing that the ES was the best fit for us tall folks.
Old 08-11-10, 09:27 PM
overclock
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Consumer Reports stated that the Infiniti M was loud for its class. All Honda's, including Acuras, are loud. I know because I own an M1A1 Odyssey. Can barely hear myself think in the Ody. But I absolutely love driving my Lexus ES 350. It's like a really expensive Prozac.
Old 08-12-10, 04:17 AM
CJS57
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

6' 3" and I have headroom. Plust the seat squashes down too, that will give another 1" later on. I drove an 2010 Accura because I wanted the 6-speed manual. It was way too loud for me, constant tire and road noise. Otherwise it was a rather nice driving car.