ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Accelerator Sticking

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-09, 04:42 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Yep, this made the NBC World News last night. They are really making a mountain out of a mole hill here. My wife watched the news piece, and it ratified her decision to keep her floor mat in the trunk, no matter what I say.

Lou
Old 11-05-09, 07:07 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Yep, this made the NBC World News last night. They are really making a mountain out of a mole hill here. My wife watched the news piece, and it ratified her decision to keep her floor mat in the trunk, no matter what I say.

Lou
That's understandable. Until there is some resolution to the issue, better safe than sorry.

I've got my all weather mats in for the winter season and they are securely anchored to the floor and not going anywhere.
Old 11-05-09, 07:08 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I checked my Lexus all weather floor mat again this morning. No way can this mat ride up to interfere with the gas pedal unless it is not hooked properly. As I said before, the loaner IS250 AWD I had a few months ago had the carpet mats upside down and not hooked up.
Old 11-05-09, 04:04 PM
Elex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The latest speculation I've heard is that it has nothing to do with the mat.... that it's like the drive by wire module (or software) and causes the accelerator to "stick" in the full throttle position.

I honestly don't know what to believe, but I'm with Garsarno, I have no idea how any of the mats can interfere with the pedal.

The question I have is whether the drive by wire components that are used in these cars is proprietary to Toyota/Lexus (including the software)? If it is, then it might be plausable, but otherwise, if its used by other mfg's, then why isn't the problem showing up in their cars?
Old 11-08-09, 05:45 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Elex
The latest speculation I've heard is that it has nothing to do with the mat.... that it's like the drive by wire module (or software) and causes the accelerator to "stick" in the full throttle position.

I honestly don't know what to believe, but I'm with Garsarno, I have no idea how any of the mats can interfere with the pedal.

The question I have is whether the drive by wire components that are used in these cars is proprietary to Toyota/Lexus (including the software)? If it is, then it might be plausable, but otherwise, if its used by other mfg's, then why isn't the problem showing up in their cars?
And this is how rumors get started.

SPECULATION is all it is at this point. I saw the piece on NBC news the other night and was appalled by it. They speculated as well. Show me some proof it is anything other than improperly installed mats.

If the dealerships would follow the directions given to them by Lexus (no less than two letters received over the past 3 years to NOT install two mats) this likely would never have happened.
Old 11-09-09, 03:43 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Had maybe a related experince Sunday morning. Took the Impala to the local car wash, got the full service wash where they do in and out. The car washers removed my all weather vinyl mats to wash them (which I thought was good). When I got into my car, they did not hook up the drivers mat. Hence, it already started to inch up towards the pedals just from the guy that does the interior and from me getting into the car. I got out and hooked it up. And we all know how Lexus dealers likes to wash their / our cars. Wonder if they washed and vacumed the car(s) and did not hook the mats down.
Old 11-15-09, 04:23 AM
MonAndrew7
Driver School Candidate

Default Tragic ES350 Accident

My guess is this accident victim had already faded out the brakes by the time he called 911. At 120 mph, he probably could not have slowed even if they had told him to pop the car into neutral, which is VERY EASY TO DO, by the way. (I tried it last night in a safe place.)

So, bottom line....

Step One Keep floor mats installed properly

***In the event of some kind of runaway situation.....

Step Two Gently push the trans up one notch into neutral (or two if in manual)

Step Three Start braking firmly but in a controlled manner

Step Four Hold the starter button for several seconds while slowing

Step Five Bring the car to a stop safely off the road

Apparently the National Safety Board did several tests on Toyota's electronics and they found no problems over a multi-year period. I think this California accident might be a tragic fluke....
Old 11-15-09, 06:26 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by MonAndrew7

Step One Keep floor mats installed properly

***In the event of some kind of runaway situation.....

Step Two Gently push the trans up one notch into neutral (or two if in manual)

Step Three Start braking firmly but in a controlled manner

Step Four Hold the starter button for several seconds while slowing

Step Five Bring the car to a stop safely off the road.
There you have it.

I throw mine into neutral all the time after pulling up to long stop lights so I can rest my foot. I just don't understand it. Maybe the cop had it in sport mode, which makes it more difficult to find neutral. I could see that.
Old 11-15-09, 07:21 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

I just got my 'recall' notice in the mail yesterday...it is preliminary. Lexus is saying to remove the driver's side mat. If you don't want to remove the mat, then Lexus suggests some steps to take in the event you have a 'stuck accelerator pedal', which has been noted in a previous post above. However, as long as the mat came with your Lexus you should not have a problem at all. I don't plan to remove my mat. Lexus advises that as a test, depress the gas pedal all the way down to the floor (engine off and car in park...of course!!) to ensure that the pedal won't get caught in the mat. I believe this problem is mainly a result placing aftermarket all weather floor mats in the vehicle.
Old 11-17-09, 07:46 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Update.....

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/l...spx?ncid=12040

~ Cap
Old 12-11-09, 12:27 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Report

You might want to read this report in its entirety.

http://autos.aol.com/gallery/saylor-crash-report

~ Cap
Old 12-11-09, 10:58 AM
zhivuyatut
Driver

I did read the whole thing.

Looks like a "perfect storm" situation.
- Detailer Octaviano places wrong mats in and probably does not clip them down.
- Receptionist Jessica ignores customer Frank when he complains about the mats trapping the gas pedal.
- Officer Mark gets the loaner with the same problematic mats.
- The gas pedal gets stuck under the mat on him.
- Mark was never clearly told, verbally or in the manual, that to stop a runaway vehicle he could:
a) put the tranny in neutral and just brake to stop.
b) put the tranny in manumatic and downshift to first gear to slow down to safe speed.
c) kill the engine while at safe speed and in safe place by pressing "Start/Stop" button for THREE seconds.
- Instead, Mark panics, burn the brakes to failure, and ends up in heaven.
- Dealership VP David tries to cover it all up.
- Toyota/Lexus has to pay for it all.

I'm afraid that we all would end up with another big yellow warning sticker - on the dashboard no less - how to stop a runaway vehicle. As if the airbag warning decals on sun visors were not enough.