ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

help with Vais SL2Vi install

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-08, 11:45 AM
clc3251
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with Vais SL2Vi install

I installed the new Vais Tech Soundlinq2 SL2Vi in my 07 ES350 and need some help with programming. VAIS is closed until Monday. Everything went in very easily however I cannot program the unit. When I push the start button one time without pressing the gas pedal, the nav screen comes up and I can see the VAIS tech info come up, however the "I agree" screen never goes away and I don't get the long beep that the manual says I am supposed to get when I attempt to program the unit for CD-MP3 mode. Also, the manual tells you to push the "left" programming switch down in order to program for CD-MP3 mode. My unit has "on" or unmarked, not up and down. Both switches came from the factory in the "on" position, which would be down when looking at the unit so that you can read the writing on the switch. If you flip the unit over it more closely matches the picture in the manual, but not exactly. I flipped the unit over and put the "left" switch down or off and tried to program. No beeps and I cannot program it. Has anyone done this instal on their ES350 yet? How do yo uprogram it. How do you cycle through the inputs in CD-MP3 mode? The manual tells you to push the "CD" button. I don't have one. I have a DISC-AUX buton. Is that correct? Thanks in advance
Old 01-12-08, 11:25 PM
unknown2
Driver

I didn't face the problem you have.. Sorry, i can't help you..

But, to switch between the iPod, Factory CD changer, all what you have to do is to press the DISC-AUX one or two times to switch between them...

Good luck!
Old 01-13-08, 06:42 PM
clc3251
Driver School Candidate

Smile Got it to work

OK, I don't know how I got it to work, but I did. I never did get any beeps to tell me it was programming, so I just waited 2 minutes and proceeded as if I heard the beeps. I downloaded an old manual for the SL2i and that had an accurate picture of the programming switches. FYI the SL2Vi switches are marked "on" and unmarked (off). This corresponds to "on" being "Down" and unmarked (off) being "Up". I also disconnected the sky blue wire from the display ECU and wired it to the orange wire in the Nav ECU with a switch and grounded the E-brake wire. This allows unrestricted access to the folders/files and allows video playback while moving (no lectures please). I initially just put a switch on the sky blue wire (didn't touch the orange wire) which allowed all this plus the Nav destination entry, however my Nav was not only choppy, it stopped all together like I pulled over. When I switched it back on, it eventually found me again, but it was essentially useless while switched off. With the bypass and the switch on, the Nav worked perfectly. Now I can have unrestricted access to the audio/video stuff and only switch off the Nav speed sensor when I want to enter a destination. The "I Agree" button on the Nav screen still doesn't go away without me touching it. Does anyone elses go away automatically with this set-up? Thanks This forum is great. Couldn't have done it without it.

Last edited by clc3251; 01-13-08 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-14-08, 01:18 PM
clc3251
Driver School Candidate

Default Fixed I Agree function

OK, Not to keep replying to my own post, but the info may help someone else. The manual that comes with the SL2Vi is wrong in several areas. First the picture of the unit showing the programming switches is wrong and misleading. I covered that in my previous post. Now I discovered that to enter simple mode and restore the "I agree" button pushing function you need to push the scan button 4 times not 8 as the manul states. I kept pushing it 8 times and it would enter simple mode then after a few seconds it would go back to normal. Very frustrating. I experimented and found that pushing 4 times entered simple mode allowed the "I Agree" function to be toggled on and off. (it actually tells you on the screen). I also opted to mount the unit under the driver's seat and I ran the Ipod cable to the center console. I then popped out the factory AUX connector and ran the cable through the rectangulr hole. I plugged a headphone extension into the factory AUX plug and put it under the seat heat controls and ran the end into the center console. This allows a non-ipod input if you choose. I also installed my NAV bypass switch in the ashtray area right below and to the left of the cigarette lighter socket. I used a black push button that blends in very well. Finally my ES350 functions like it should have from the factory. Thanks again for the forum.
Old 01-16-08, 11:07 AM
static
Driver

I have my sli strapped under the dash to the right of the steering column, I tried running the cable to the ipod from there into the center console, it is long enough. I couldn't figure out how to get the cable into the console, how did you do that?
Old 01-16-08, 06:55 PM
clc3251
Driver School Candidate

I ran it through the hole for the factory AUX input. If you open the ashtray and pull up on the panel holding the seat heat controls, you have access to the back of the AUX input connector. I popped it into the center console and disconnected it. I then pulled the wire back and reconnected it inside the center console. I then plugged a headphone extension cord into the AUX input and fed the other end of the ext back through the hole left in the center console. The rectangular hole is just large enough to fish the ipod cable through into the console also. I stuffed a small piece of foam into the hole just to keep anything from finding its way out of the ceter console and into the space under the cupholder. This allows both the ipod input and retains the factory AUX input without cutting anything in the console.
Old 02-24-08, 12:37 PM
static
Driver

I did this today finally, during a break in the winter weather. Removed the seat heating control panel and the section of the console around the shifter, routed the cable next to the cup holders, so it's out of the way, popped the aux connector into the console.

The connector from my vais was to large for the aux opening, but the connector has a removable shell, without that on it fit easily.

Nice!

Thanks
Old 02-24-08, 07:52 PM
bchi99
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does this device allow you to watch videos on your dvd? also, does it void any warranty?
Old 02-25-08, 02:33 AM
static
Driver

Originally Posted by bchi99
does this device allow you to watch videos on your dvd? also, does it void any warranty?
No, the vais I have doesn't do that and I don't really want to do that anyway.

I don't think adding 3rd party products to the car voids the warranty unless I mess up something.
Old 05-05-09, 06:38 PM
StlGasMan
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anybody is still monitoring this thread I would appreciate some help. I pulled the dash panel to the left of the glove box. I can see the back of the radio. Where do I go from here?
Old 05-06-09, 01:43 AM
static
Driver

If your ES has a NAV, instructions are here...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...val-steps.html