ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Replacement Transmissions: Rebuilt or New?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-07, 10:25 AM
elessar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Transmissions: Rebuilt or New?

Apologies if this has already been addressed in one of the many other tranny threads in here - I tried searching for this specific question but found nothing.

My question is, what does Lexus use for replacement transmissions, particularly in cars that are not brand new, or even the current model year? Assuming you're still covered by the powertrain warranty, or if you're not but you pay full price... will they put in a brand new tranny? Or will they stick you with a remanufactured one? Ideally, do they give you a choice between the two options?

In case you guys care, the reason I ask is because I know from experience that Acura will only replace a transmission with a remanufactured one, unless it's a brand new car that hasn't left the lot yet. I got this straight from Acura Client Services. My wife and I have an '07 RX 350, which we love, and an '04 Acura TL, which is how I learned the lesson about the tranny. We're thinking of replacing the TL with an '08 ES sometime next year, assuming we don't see the same kinds of complaints on here about next year's model.

But... even if Lexus gets their stuff together for the '08s, I don't want to be facing the same problem I have now, 3 or 4 years down the line. And please don't tell me that rebuilt trannies are "just as good" as brand new ones, because I've heard that line a lot in the last few months, and I can tell you first hand that it's 100% BS.

So, what's the deal with Lexus? Does anyone know for sure whether they replace their transmissions with brand new units, particularly on "older" cars (like 2 or 3 years old)?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-30-07, 05:47 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

I remember that thread and we discussed briefly if Lexus would replace a defective 07 Trans with a remanufacture trans unit. The ES350 07 would have new trans but later years probably will be remanufactured. This would be a good question for your local service center. My guess is starting in 08 or 09 will use remanufactured trans unless the design was changed. I have a part of the TSIB issued Oct 13, 2006 for the ES350 Serial Number location on the trans. Look under the Serial Number box to 06 “Year of Manufacture” may be a clue to the date it was manufactured. If you have a replacement trans and it was manufacture in 06 I would say it’s a remanufactured trans. I’m really going out on a limb with this and hope other will chime in with better info for you.
Attached Thumbnails Replacement Transmissions: Rebuilt or New?-transseriallocation.jpg  

Last edited by osokuko; 07-30-07 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-30-07, 09:50 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Interesting story on the TL... This is a 3rd generation TL? I can't seem to find much if any problems with the 3G transmissions? Quite possible some early (late 2003 build, 2004 model year) 3G TLs, but I would think Honda would honor the same 108 or 112 thousand (I can't remember) warranty on the transaxle as the 2nd generation TLs?

Whatever the case, yes Toyota will likely rebuild a car using a remanufactured transaxle just as Honda will... I cannot recall at this time, but there is a specific numeral I believe that is added to the part number, I believe it's in the manual or a TSB/TSIB.
Old 07-31-07, 09:37 AM
elessar
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. I was afraid of that...

osokuko, thanks for that diagram! Hopefully, I'll never need to use it (i.e. never again own a car that needs a tranny replacement), but it's good to know where to look for that info.

onsknht - yes, you would think that Honda would honor the same retro-extended warranty as they had on the 2nd-gen TLs. Unfortunately, you would be wrong. This is why I'm probably not going to replace my TL with another Honda product.
Old 07-31-07, 07:03 PM
Patric
Pole Position

My opinion may not be shared by many but the thought of purchasing a new car and then having a rebuilt/remanufactured transmission installed to fix a problem just doesn't sound right.

If I want a car with a potential collage of used or rebuilt parts then I would be in the market for a Used vehicle.

New should equate to new, never mind if its "just as good as".

Pat
Old 07-31-07, 09:28 PM
mrshyvley
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by osokuko
I remember that thread and we discussed briefly if Lexus would replace a defective 07 Trans with a remanufacture trans unit. The ES350 07 would have new trans but later years probably will be remanufactured. This would be a good question for your local service center. My guess is starting in 08 or 09 will use remanufactured trans unless the design was changed. I have a part of the TSIB issued Oct 13, 2006 for the ES350 Serial Number location on the trans. Look under the Serial Number box to 06 “Year of Manufacture” may be a clue to the date it was manufactured. If you have a replacement trans and it was manufacture in 06 I would say it’s a remanufactured trans. I’m really going out on a limb with this and hope other will chime in with better info for you.
I had a replacement U660E transaxle put in my 2007 Camry SE V6 on 7/18/2007.
The Serial # of mine is: 2A 07 E1 11512

If I read things correctly, this transaxle was manufactured in May 2007.
So I would guess that it's not remanufactured.

I bought my car in 10/2006, and it had 8,570 miles on it when the transaxle was replaced because the re-flash of the TCM on 5/29/2007 didn't fix the flare longterm.