ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

"Speed Tones?"...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-06, 06:44 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Speed Tones?"...

...Or something like that. They are right under the "speed dials" in the phone setup and I have no idea whatsoever what they do or even what that means.

"Phone book" I understand, "speed dials" I understand but I have no idea what these "speed tones" are.

Can anyone shed any light on this.

BTW I just had Lexus install another VR module in my car to rectify the fact that the original software didn't work at all on voice command climate control changes. Well now I'm able to say "raise" and "lower" temperature and the climate control alters the temperature by 4 degrees up and down with each command. It doesn't recognize specific temperatures for the most part and '72' is read as '78' no matter how clearly I say it. All other specific temperature commands are met with a "system does not recognize a command" (or something like that).

Doesn't really bother me, I never use VR anyway. It's easier just to control things directly.
Old 10-06-06, 07:46 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
...Or something like that. They are right under the "speed dials" in the phone setup and I have no idea whatsoever what they do or even what that means.

"Phone book" I understand, "speed dials" I understand but I have no idea what these "speed tones" are.

BTW I just had Lexus install another VR module in my car to rectify the fact that the original software didn't work at all on voice command climate control changes. Well now I'm able to say "raise" and "lower" temperature and the climate control alters the temperature by 4 degrees up and down with each command. It doesn't recognize specific temperatures for the most part and '72' is read as '78' no matter how clearly I say it. All other specific temperature commands are met with a "system does not recognize a command" (or something like that).

Doesn't really bother me, I never use VR anyway. It's easier just to control things directly.
PsychDoc, I agree with you. I think you summed it up well in another thread when you referred to something as another "gee whiz" feature that may get used a few times initially to impress one's self or one's friends. I find it easier with less hassle just to control things directly as needed.
Old 10-06-06, 10:09 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree also. VR can be more of a pain then it's worth. It always seems to be easier and faster to use the manual controls.
Old 10-06-06, 10:33 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The Speed Tones are a way to store numbers or phone-based menu selections for reuse. Say you use your system for checking voice mails, you can program your password into the Speed Tones and just push the appropriate button when asked for your password. The sequence you stored would then be "dialed" in the middle of your existing call.

Any prompt that requires a tone input can be stored here. Unlike Speed Dial, no new connection is made.
Old 10-06-06, 01:43 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dreyfus
The Speed Tones are a way to store numbers or phone-based menu selections for reuse. Say you use your system for checking voice mails, you can program your password into the Speed Tones and just push the appropriate button when asked for your password. The sequence you stored would then be "dialed" in the middle of your existing call.

Any prompt that requires a tone input can be stored here. Unlike Speed Dial, no new connection is made.
Thank you.

Excellent explanation.

Sadly, like all other Lexus Bluetooth features, they can't be used with the car in motion and with the car at a stop it's just as easy to put in what you need directly from the keypad on the screen.

What would this world be without lawyers?

Grrrrrrrrrr.
Old 10-06-06, 02:19 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Psych Doc, I'd consider taking it back again. I had my unit changed and it works very well now. It certainly recognizes my commands. Quite frankly, it sounds like they took your unit out and put it right back in again. (Or never changed it). Mine did not work at all in the climate controls. And all work now, including individual temperatures.
Old 10-06-06, 08:59 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What would this world be without lawyers?

Grrrrrrrrrr.
Grrrrrrrrrreat???

I honestly don't know why frivolous lawsuits are allowed to go forward, let alone stand. If people couldn't win big bucks for things like injuring themselves with a lawnmower while using it to trim a hedge or spilling hot coffee on themselves, then maybe Lexus wouldn't be so ridiculously afraid of letting Lexus drivers use their cars as they see fit.
Old 10-07-06, 05:21 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dreyfus
Grrrrrrrrrreat???

I honestly don't know why frivolous lawsuits are allowed to go forward, let alone stand. If people couldn't win big bucks for things like injuring themselves with a lawnmower while using it to trim a hedge or spilling hot coffee on themselves, then maybe Lexus wouldn't be so ridiculously afraid of letting Lexus drivers use their cars as they see fit.
Well said Dreyfus!

This "let's not take any personal responsibility for our own actions," "Let's see if we can sue someone else for our own idiocy," etc. is just sickening. And the cow towing on the part of large corporations (viz. Lexus/Toyota) is equally repugnant.

If I want to fiddle around with my nav system while rolling along on a highway, or use the number keypad to enter a PIN number on my Bluetooth phone I should be able to. And let's not forget about those delightful seatbelt "reminder" chimes that are so annoying you want to put your foot through the dashboard.

ARHHHHHHHH!!!!!!