ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Gen. V Nav Vs. Prior Versions....

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-06, 05:50 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen. V Nav Vs. Prior Versions....

...I owned the 2002 ES300 (I don't know what generation that was) and now the Gen. V version.

As great as the nav system is overall, I'm finding that the previous version was significantly faster in rerouting you if you went off the prescribed path and seemed to almost never be unaware of a POI. The new one didn't know the hotel I'm staying at here in Montreal (The XIX Siecle in Vieux Montreal...a pretty major hotel!).

Thr graphics are definitely better and it has a few more "trick" features than the one in my 2002, but for basic navigation functions I'd only give it an '8' compared to the previous model's '10.'

What do you guys think?

Last edited by PsychDoc; 08-16-06 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-16-06, 06:25 AM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
...I owned the 2002 ES300 (I don't know what generation that was) and now the Gen. V version.

As great as the nav system is overall, I'm finding that the previous version was significantly faster in rerouting you if you went off the prescribed path and seemed to almost never be unaware of a POI. The new one didn't know the hotel I'm staying at here in Montreal (The XIX Siecle in Vieux Montreal...a pretty major hotel!).

Thr graphics are definitely better and it has a few more "trick" features than the one in my 2002, but for basic navigation functions I'd only give it an '8' compared to the previous model's '10.'

What do you guys think?
I've never owned a vehicle with nav before, but I rent from Hertz on an almost weekly basis, always with Never Lost. That was actually what enticed me into getting nav in my 350. I am seriously disappointed with the system for a number of reasons, two of which you mention (missing POIs, recalculation time), plus large sections of major roads are just 'missing'. A lengthy stretch of the George Bush Turnpike, for example - just shows me driving over unpaved road. 'Boo'!! Maybe even 'hiss'!!!
Old 08-16-06, 07:40 AM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I rent Hertz vehicles at least 2 to 3 times a month, and having used their Neverlost system since it was introuced many, many years ago, I can tell you there is no comparison between the Neverlost and the Lexus NAV. I own both the 2002 ES with the NAV installed and the 2007 ES with the NAV installed. Both are incredible. But the Hertz Neverlost is atrocious. It will constantly give me false instructions, incorrect routing, and on several occasions, it has actually taken me many, many miles out of my way. It is the worst navigation unit on the market whose day has past.

The key to having a good experience on the Lexus system is to program it properly. You can leave the factory defaults, but if you prefer the least amount of freeway traffic, for example, then you need to set that as the default. The Lexus Nav should also not be used without having read the manual first
Old 08-16-06, 10:18 AM
ckon
Rookie

Originally Posted by 477030
A lengthy stretch of the George Bush Turnpike, for example - just shows me driving over unpaved road. 'Boo'!! Maybe even 'hiss'!!!
Don't forget that the database in the nav is probably a minimum of 2 or 3 years old. In other words, anything newer is not shown.

Also, zooming in or out will sometimes show roads more accurately. Not all types of roads are shown at all zoom settings.
Old 08-16-06, 07:17 PM
dshahs420
Pole Position

Yeah, I am dissapointed in the Lexus Navigation too. My '06 ES takes forever to reroute too. If you were familiar with the Honda Nav in my RL, you would hate the Lexus even more. I actually had to read the Lexus Nav booklet but the honda Nav was so much more simpler. No little circles with triangle on the bottom. If you want to zoom in, it actually says "zoom". In lexus there is an icon to zoom in. Its weird but its really not user friendly.
Old 08-17-06, 06:00 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Default And Another Thing...

...The old nav system used to give you the option of taking you to an address even if it didn't recognize the exact address (e.g. you inputted 2459 Oak St. and it only "knew" 2460). Then it would say something like "displaying nearby address" (or something like that) and still lead you to the location.

The new one simply says "no such number listed" (or something like that) and takes you back to the address screen. You then have to go thru the whole tiresome process again to put in a nearby address that you think it will know (I go for nice round numbers like 2500, etc.).

Stupid and a real hastle.

Why mess something up when you already have it right?
Old 08-20-06, 11:52 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default buy with nav or not

I am probably going to buy an ES within the next month. After reading this thread, might opt out of getting NAV and save some money. For those of you with NAV, would you buy it again if you had the option? Is it worth the money?
Old 08-20-06, 12:40 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just keep in mind, you will get rear view camera with NAV.
Old 08-20-06, 12:54 PM
richbutler
Rookie

I would not buy this car without the nav. I had a loaner es350 for 3 weeks without the nav and it totally changed the interior feel and function of the car. IMHO, if I was forced to buy the es350 without the nav, I would probably go with a loaded v6 toyota camry instead.
Old 08-20-06, 01:10 PM
CaBlonde
Rookie

Once you have NAV, you wouldn't go back. Even if you don't use it on a regular basis, you will find a time where you really need it. Also, as Twister stated, with NAV you have the back-up camera. The other day, I was backing out of a blind parking spot. I could not see the on-coming traffic by turning my head, but since the camera is mounted on my backside, I was able to see the traffic around the minivan parked beside me.
Old 08-20-06, 01:16 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
I am probably going to buy an ES within the next month. After reading this thread, might opt out of getting NAV and save some money. For those of you with NAV, would you buy it again if you had the option? Is it worth the money?
Yes, I would definitely buy it again, because there are too many integrated features, such as the Bluetooth information on the NAV screen, and your audio/radio controls also. If you opted to get a car without it, you can't upgrade your car in the future if you then want a factory NAV unit!!
Old 08-20-06, 01:28 PM
CaBlonde
Rookie

Twister, I just had a bizzaro sis moment with you. lol I just now read your post in the other thread where you said, "My previous car was black, and I will never go back!!!" Before I read that I wrote in this thread "Once you have NAV, you wouldn't go back." Sppoookyy!
Old 08-20-06, 03:47 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I evaluated the nav in the ES350 and decided against it, because when I entered my new home address, it didn't know where that was. My home is ~4kms from the dealer. I tried some other local addresses, and all those came up empty as well.

I love the Hertz Neverlost.... as long as you're in the US. I'm a Presidents Circle Hertz member and it has helped me many times find something I'd never find by myself. Also great for getting you to ski resorts on unfamiliar roads
Old 08-20-06, 04:15 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffofla

The key to having a good experience on the Lexus system is to program it properly. You can leave the factory defaults, but if you prefer the least amount of freeway traffic, for example, then you need to set that as the default. The Lexus Nav should also not be used without having read the manual first
Is that feature the 'avoid freeway' setting? I don't know of 'less freeway traffic' settings. Is this accessed through the preferences menu?
Old 08-20-06, 06:21 PM
rboyle23
Rookie

The one issue that I have with the NAV, is this is just me personally, is that I learned how to use it in park. When you drive, most of the features get blacked out and forced to use VR which is fine by me for the safety.

Oh, and one more thing, when you search for a POI and hit info, you can call them if you have a phone paired. Does anyone know if that can be changed/hacked to allow info to be displayed while in drive and have the call button available?

Quick Reply: Gen. V Nav Vs. Prior Versions....