ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES arriving this weekend - what should I watch for???

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-06, 02:56 PM
jtrain73
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES arriving this weekend - what should I watch for???

Been lurking here for a few days now and I made the plunge, bought an ES350 with UL, park assist and spolier, smokey granite mica/gray interior. It is due to arrive at the port on Friday and should be at the dealer on Saturday or Sunday. I'm hoping to have it in my garage on Sunday night.

From reading the various posts - I need to watch out for the transmission issue (might not happen until 500 to 2000 miles from what I can tell) and for the wind noise issue at high speed. I doubt I will notice/care about the wind noise unless it is really bad, as I am upgrading from a Mazda, which is really noisy.

I've also ordered the Sirius install, so I should be watching for the antenna location and whether the sirius radio display is limited to 10 characters (not a deal breaker to me - gotta have Howard Stern).

What else do I need to be on the look out for? Any advice for the break-in period or first week?
Old 07-26-06, 03:25 PM
Celibon
Driver

Congratulations on your new car. I'm sure you will love it.

A while back a thread on this forum had a picture about the hood not lining up correctly at one of the front ends. I checked that when I was picking up my car. You should be able to find that thread for more details.

Oh, I really think you should go back and challenge your dealership about that $895 spoiler. That's a crazy markup if you pay that.
Old 07-26-06, 03:46 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

watch for the look on people's faces when they see your brand new car.... really interesting.... This car is relatively new in most areas, so when people see it for the first time, they try to figure out what model it is and then "wow".
Old 07-26-06, 04:56 PM
bulwinkl24
Rookie

Originally Posted by jtrain73
Been lurking here for a few days now and I made the plunge, bought an ES350 with UL, park assist and spolier, smokey granite mica/gray interior. It is due to arrive at the port on Friday and should be at the dealer on Saturday or Sunday. I'm hoping to have it in my garage on Sunday night.

From reading the various posts - I need to watch out for the transmission issue (might not happen until 500 to 2000 miles from what I can tell) and for the wind noise issue at high speed. I doubt I will notice/care about the wind noise unless it is really bad, as I am upgrading from a Mazda, which is really noisy.

I've also ordered the Sirius install, so I should be watching for the antenna location and whether the sirius radio display is limited to 10 characters (not a deal breaker to me - gotta have Howard Stern).

What else do I need to be on the look out for? Any advice for the break-in period or first week?
how were you able to order sirius? i dont see that as an accessory on the lexus website.
Old 07-26-06, 07:06 PM
Lyn06
Driver School Candidate

I was wondering the same thing about Sirius. I bought my ES350 on May 1 and the dealer is supposed to install Sirius for free when it is available. I have been waiting and waiting. I'm getting impatient.
Old 07-26-06, 07:13 PM
dshahs420
Pole Position

If you indeed are able to get sirius, you might want to look into their lifetime membership plan for $500 buckaroos.
Old 07-26-06, 07:56 PM
ES350LUV
Driver School Candidate

Congratulations!!!

Give us a heads up on whether your ES makes a kind of a clanking or clattering noise upon cold start. Some discribe it as a disel engine sound......just trying to fiquere out if most of the ES has this happening, it happens to mine. It is so post to be b/c of the direct fuel injection.....so says the dealers.
Old 07-26-06, 08:09 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My advice, just forget about everything you read in here!!! You are getting a new build, so there is a very good chance you will not see any of the problems. Otherwise, you are going to be paranoid and gonna start "hearing" things that are not there. Njoy your car!!!
Old 07-26-06, 08:14 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a. I got Sirius and it works great (except for "The Flaw")
b. Watch out for scrapes on the front spoiler and the lower extremities of the car they may have made getting it off the truck.. Be sure to take a good look, high and low in the sun. Make them turn the car around for you too. Closely inspect the glass roof.
c. Check the list of extras and make sure nothings missing.
d. If you don't like the way the paint looks make them do the wax again until they get it right. (this is your money)
e. Make sure they give you a full tank of gas.
f. Ask for your free gift - they can afford it.
g. Make sure they install the mats and that the cargo net isn't missing.
h. Make sure you have the key for the lug nut locks.
i. 2 keys!!!
j. Complete owners manual set with the CD to learn how to use the Nav system.
k. There is a list of modifications that the dealer can do (bells whistles warnings). Get to know the car before making changes.

Also, for what its worth, Take it easy the first 1000 miles; it is your new baby. I recommend a thorough detail by a professional -- clay bar on the paint and real wax, like carnauba, treatment for the leather (they are usually kind of dry from the factory) -- and park far away from everybody for at least a couple of weeks. Look close, no body side moldings on this baby.

Gray interior? No kids, right? OK, no eating or smoking in the car, EVER. The loaner I got today has a gray interior and someone spilled something on the passanger side mat, like coffee and it looks HIDEOUS!

Last edited by psp; 07-26-06 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-26-06, 09:19 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Lug nut keys! I dont recall getting them the 2nd time around. Would it be in the trunk if they dont hand it to you? I better check!
Old 07-26-06, 09:59 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaius88
Lug nut keys! I dont recall getting them the 2nd time around. Would it be in the trunk if they dont hand it to you? I better check!
They're usually attached to the lug nut wrench in the trunk.
Old 07-27-06, 04:21 AM
P0747
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jtrain73

We just had the Sirius installed. The antenna was located inside the car by the rear view mirror. Seems to work fine except for the "flaw"
Old 07-27-06, 05:15 AM
jtrain73
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Dealer didn't even blink or pause about Sirius. They had signs for it in the show room. Whoever mentioned it not being on the Lexus web site was correct, but it is available. From what I understand the receiver for the 2007 ES350 is delayed, but they are installing another unit (from the GS or older ES?) which works, but has a character display limitation of 10 characters. My hope is this is what I get, and that I can switch it out if / when they get the real one working. On a related note, VAIS Tech is working on a Sirius solution as well.
Old 07-27-06, 07:53 AM
cleblanc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also watch out for the tire pressure. My car was delivered with the pressure too high and I had to reduce it.
Old 07-27-06, 08:04 AM
Lyn06
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by P0747
We just had the Sirius installed. The antenna was located inside the car by the rear view mirror. Seems to work fine except for the "flaw"
What is the flaw?

Quick Reply: ES arriving this weekend - what should I watch for???