ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Trim Strips

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-06, 03:44 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen nice repairs done with this system(Paintless Dent Repair), and I've also seen horrible jobs also. Generally, you can't determine what kind of dent or ding will give you satisfactory results, so I would give this process

I would want these repairs done the proper way, in a good body shop.
Old 06-20-06, 05:06 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cleblanc
With the high price of the body side moldings, I'm now wondering if I should have gotten the Door Ding Protection when I bought my car. I think that was only $499 which is cheaper than buying and installing the body side moldings. Also I'm assuming it would cover the entire door which is more than the strips would.
According to the flyer I got, the Door Ding Protection program utilizes the Paintless Dent Repair (PDR) process, developed by automobile manufacturing production teams to permanently remove door dings and minor dents.
Thoughts anyone?
IMHO (and in my humble opinion only) most of the door dings I have seen involve paint being chipped off the car. No matter how good the paintless dent person is, you are gonna need paint, especially if yours is a dark color (mine is black). Park far away and get a handicapped placard.
Old 06-27-06, 09:07 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I was able to get my dealer to add the trim strips for free. I like the look of them.
Attached Thumbnails Trim Strips-es350.jpg  
Old 06-27-06, 11:12 AM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the high price of the body side moldings, I'm now wondering if I should have gotten the Door Ding Protection when I bought my car. I think that was only $499 which is cheaper than buying and installing the body side moldings. Also I'm assuming it would cover the entire door which is more than the strips would.
According to the flyer I got, the Door Ding Protection program utilizes the Paintless Dent Repair (PDR) process, developed by automobile manufacturing production teams to permanently remove door dings and minor dents.
Thoughts anyone?
Having read this thread prior to going to the dealership to sign the papers, I opted to buy the ding protection program. It was only $299, for 5 years of coverage. It's the same concept you refer to - paintless dent removal, with buffing out of minor paint damage.

Figured that was the same cost (or less) as the side mouldings, covered any dings that the moulding wouldn't prevent anyway (i.e. high dings from all the god-damned pick up trucks in TX), and areas of the car that the mouldings wouldn't touch (front and rear side panels). Plus, it eliminates the need to add the mouldings and ruin those slick lines! The program doesn't cover the trunk, hood or roof (which is glass anyway) - the prime targets for Texas hail damage.
Old 06-28-06, 03:41 AM
cleblanc
Rookie

Originally Posted by 477030
Having read this thread prior to going to the dealership to sign the papers, I opted to buy the ding protection program. It was only $299, for 5 years of coverage. It's the same concept you refer to - paintless dent removal, with buffing out of minor paint damage.

Figured that was the same cost (or less) as the side mouldings, covered any dings that the moulding wouldn't prevent anyway (i.e. high dings from all the god-damned pick up trucks in TX), and areas of the car that the mouldings wouldn't touch (front and rear side panels). Plus, it eliminates the need to add the mouldings and ruin those slick lines! The program doesn't cover the trunk, hood or roof (which is glass anyway) - the prime targets for Texas hail damage.
That's a great deal. I wish I could go back and renegotiate my purchase. But I bought my car the first week it was out and did not get the great deals other people are getting. I did manage to get $850 off MSRP though which I was happy about at the time.
I wonder if they could add on the ding protection after the purchase.
Old 06-28-06, 04:09 AM
Macklin
Advanced

I wonder if they could add on the ding protection after the purchase.
I'm going to check into that as I was in the same boat at purchase time. The dealer didn't even mention this to me. I now have two minor scratches on my doors. I sat in my office yesterday and watched one of my coworkers (most inconsiderate guy in my department) open his door into my car. And I park on the far side of the parking lot.

The trim strips would have done absolutely nothing for protection on these and most likely future dings.