ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

3VZ-FE Ignitor diagnostics - how to?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-15, 06:49 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3VZ-FE Ignitor diagnostics - how to?

Can anyone tell me a certain way of performing diagnostics on the ignitor in my 1992 ES300/Windom??

The FSM only says to diagnose everything else and if that doesn't give you an answer try replacing the ignitor which I think is a bit silly...

I read that you can hook up a car light bulb with 2 wires and stick them in the coil plug and turn the key to start the car... If the bulb flashes ignitor is working... I think this means the ignitor is doing it's thing on/off or high/low..... Can someone tell me if this will work??

Is there some other way of testing it using either a test light or multimeter??

If someone could explain simply (spell it out) as I'm still not very confident with what I'm doing when it comes to multimeter/test light/ electrics...

I apologise this has been touched on in another thread but it's become a entirely separate problem...
Old 04-26-15, 07:02 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

The FSM tells you exactly how to test the igniter it starts on about page 362 of the PDF version I have the section is Ignition Signal Circuit
Old 04-27-15, 04:43 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
The FSM tells you exactly how to test the igniter it starts on about page 362 of the PDF version I have the section is Ignition Signal Circuit
I apologise, you are of course correct... I was looking in the ignition section at the end of the engine .pdf which goes through everything else without telling you how to test the igniter... It's such a lot of pages sometimes I miss things...

I thank you very much for pointing me to the correct page, I should be able to muddle my way through it and try and determine if the igniter is the cause without just replacing it and hoping for best.

When my car crapped out at the auto parts stored, the mechanic who came in who I asked for advice told me there wasn't any way to test the coil or ignitor with a multimeter etc! He was quite helpful for a bit of free advice and opinion but I guess it just goes to show ya shouldn't believe everything an "expert" tells you! 35 years experience and he says I can't test the coil / ignitor with my multimeter... I wonder if that's what he actually believes or if he was hoping for a bit of business!! He said to replace the coil but it could be the ignitor, from a quick car park diagnosis from a couple of spark tests.... I hope he's right! I've met him once before when I strolled into his workshop needing some advice and he was happy to take a few minutes to talk to me.

Is replacing the distributor and rotor a big job (difficult) for someone like myself who hasn't done it before but is faced with the option of DIY or send the car to the wreckers??

Will I be able to get a visual on the timing belt (to see if it's still intact) by just removing the outside cover or is that going to be a major? I'm just thinking ahead incase the ignitor proves not to be the problem...
Old 04-27-15, 05:00 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

If I check for codes thru the diagnostic port in the engine bay will it pick up a faulty ignitor???

Given that I haven't had a check engine light since owning the car is there any point checking for codes?? Mechanic previously mentioned told me no point if no check engine light, but I'm not so sure how accurate his advice is.....