ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Brake light warning on dash refuses to go..

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-15, 10:56 PM
mlgbwk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light warning on dash refuses to go..

Hi,

So this warning symbol on my 99 ES300's dash came on every time I turn on headlight, and it only happen in the evening, it never come on in the morning even though it is cold, so I am kinda confused because I thought it is some resistor issue related to temperature but it seems not.

At the beginning it comes on only when I apply brake, but after a few weeks it just came on whenever headlight is ON, at evening only.... weird.

I have replaced brake light bulb (7443) and tail light bulbs on both sides to make sure the bulbs are identical, but the warning is still there. The center brake light works fine. Am I missing something here?.. Thanks in adv.

this warning came on whenever I turn on light in the evening

Last edited by mlgbwk; 02-02-15 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-03-15, 08:48 AM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

It's saying that your one of your tail lights is burned out. Check the all four lights across the back with just your headlights on, they should all illuminate for running lights. If one of them doesn't, then you have your answer as to which is burned out.

Then have someone step on the brake while you check. The outer most lights and the center 3rd brake light should illuminate. The outer most lights should be lit with running lights then get brighter when you apply the brake.

Basically the outer most lights have a bulb with two filaments, one for running lights, one for brake lights. It is likely that one of the filaments is broken. It could be that one of the trunk running lights is burned out as well, or the 3rd brake light in the rear window.
Attached Thumbnails Brake light warning on dash refuses to go..-image-3829055390.jpg  
Old 02-03-15, 01:15 PM
Wht95scort
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the smaller bulbs are 192 bulbs and not 194. one or more of the tail light bulbs are wrong causing a differance in voltage drop causing the light to come on.
Old 02-09-15, 12:35 AM
mlgbwk
Driver School Candidate

thanks! lemme double check that,

Originally Posted by Wht95scort
Make sure the smaller bulbs are 192 bulbs and not 194. one or more of the tail light bulbs are wrong causing a differance in voltage drop causing the light to come on.
Old 02-09-15, 12:36 AM
mlgbwk
Driver School Candidate

yeah all lights are functioning properly, even the central brake light and the license plate light (2 bulbs), that's why I am confused.

Originally Posted by lostape45
It's saying that your one of your tail lights is burned out. Check the all four lights across the back with just your headlights on, they should all illuminate for running lights. If one of them doesn't, then you have your answer as to which is burned out.

Then have someone step on the brake while you check. The outer most lights and the center 3rd brake light should illuminate. The outer most lights should be lit with running lights then get brighter when you apply the brake.

Basically the outer most lights have a bulb with two filaments, one for running lights, one for brake lights. It is likely that one of the filaments is broken. It could be that one of the trunk running lights is burned out as well, or the 3rd brake light in the rear window.
Old 02-09-15, 07:02 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by mlgbwk
yeah all lights are functioning properly, even the central brake light and the license plate light (2 bulbs), that's why I am confused.
Did you check your front running lights? I got that warning also when one of my front running lights was out. I had the light on, and I could not get it to go off after replacing all the burned out rear bulbs, until I also replaced the front running light that was inop. The manual isn't written that way, but I experienced that.

Last edited by Oro; 02-09-15 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-09-15, 07:28 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

The problem could be related to:

A) Your replacement bulbs. Assuming you bought the correct bulbs (check your manual) you may have ended up with some after market bulbs that are cheaply made and are not of the same tolerances as the original bulbs. This could apply both to their mechanical and electrical characteristics. Try new bulbs from a trusted manufacturer or from Toyota/Lexus.

B) If above fails, than you could have dirty bulb contacts.Try cleaning them with a pencil eraser. Also if possible. try bending them slightly if possible. Also clean the electrical plug, and contacts going to the Light. (Don't blow a fuse).

Of course it could also be related to a wiring problem, or the computer, However my bet is on either (A), or (B)

Phil
Old 02-09-15, 10:51 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

This has been covered many times, but read the following;

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Don't bother. This has been my issue since I started driving the car.

During the summer it's always on, and now winter with all the accessories running, it does it rarely... Weird. But I know my bulbs work so I ignore it.

I've done my research on this topic, long story short; clean the contacts of all te current bulbs, or replace all of the bulbs to one rand since they draw the same amount of current, as opposed to mismatched which can be all over the place!

I have my corner lights (not the brake lights) replaced with LEDs, LEDs all over the car, and still doesn't cause the prOblem as it is off most times. So not sure what else to tell you here.

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Just ignore it. This is a common issue.

ONe suggested fix was to take ALL of the bulbs and buy matching ones - all from one company since they're made in one way. Not mixing and matching.

I've had this light on for about 3 yrs now. Sometimes it goes on, other times it doesn't. Meh.